Ellis and Parcells in shouting match?

TheHustler

Reaction score
Roy Williams said:
IScruggs said that once Ellis stood up to leave Parcells quickly tried to defuse the confrontation with Ellis.

That sounds like at least a little bit of good news. It seems like Ellis was just having a bad day, or finally got fed up, went in for a talk and ego's took over. But hopefully BP realizes Ellis is one of the better players on the team and his work ethic and leadership in invaluable. Although, this at the very least means they haven't practiced the 4-3 very much, then again it has just been mini camps. Training camp is where the real story will unfold.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Roy Williams said:
I heard the samething coming into work this morning.

Newy kicked off todays show by bringing up Ellis. He did say that Ellis and Parcells had a very heated confrotation in his office about Ellis's displeasure of the change on defense to the 3/4.

He said that Parcells was trying to intimidate Ellis and that Ellis would not back down. Scruggs also said that there where plenty of f-bombs thrown around. And near the end Ellis told Parcells that he thought he needed to be traded. Then he said Parcells threatned Ellis that most of his signing bonus would have to taken back from the team if that happened. Scruggs said that once Ellis stood up to leave Parcells quickly tried to defuse the confrontation with Ellis.

Scruggs made if seem that Ellis thought the move to the 3/4 made him expendable and that he wouldn't be effective playing the 3/4 scheme. Scruggs said that Ellis has been toting the company line all summer, but he's very unhappy the way he's going to be used.

It sounds like the **** hit the fan yesterday at the Ranch.

Sounds to me like Ellis is not stupid. I believe this move will hurt Ellis. If we really are going to move to a 34, then Ellis needs to be moved IMO. Same with Glover. It is in everybodies long term interests.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Roy Williams said:
I heard the samething coming into work this morning.

Newy kicked off todays show by bringing up Ellis. He did say that Ellis and Parcells had a very heated confrotation in his office about Ellis's displeasure of the change on defense to the 3/4.

He said that Parcells was trying to intimidate Ellis and that Ellis would not back down. Scruggs also said that there where plenty of f-bombs thrown around. And near the end Ellis told Parcells that he thought he needed to be traded. Then he said Parcells threatned Ellis that most of his signing bonus would have to taken back from the team if that happened. Scruggs said that once Ellis stood up to leave Parcells quickly tried to defuse the confrontation with Ellis..

Thanks for the confirmation, Roy... I thought I heard all that, but it was so spotty I was afraid I'd mis-report something.

I dunno... It's easy to say that Ellis isn't that great, as some people believe, so who cares what he thinks. But IMO if anyone deserves to be treated with respect on this whole team, it's Ellis. There hasn't been a harder worker or better person on the team in the last several years.

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
I hate to say this... but SLOWLY the actual TALENT in Dallas seems to be dwindling down.... first AB, now Ellis is looking like hes on his way out... I'm worried.

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
cannonball44 said:
I hate to say this... but SLOWLY the actual TALENT in Dallas seems to be dwindling down.... first AB, now Ellis is looking like hes on his way out... I'm worried.

Well some people thinks im nuts when I say this... Parcells is trying to get rid of all the regular Cowboys players and put all of his old timers back to the Dallas Cowboys dynasty...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Thanks for the confirmation, Roy... I thought I heard all that, but it was so spotty I was afraid I'd mis-report something.

I dunno... It's easy to say that Ellis isn't that great, as some people believe, so who cares what he thinks. But IMO if anyone deserves to be treated with respect on this whole team, it's Ellis. There hasn't been a harder worker or better person on the team in the last several years.

Now I agree with this. Ellis has always been a good guy on and off the field. He's always produced, even when he was the only guy and he has improved every year.

He signed a very friendly contract with the Cowboys to help when we needed cap and he is a guy, as many have pointed out, that is a team leader. No question in my mind about that. I just don't think you can go to this guy and convince him that moving to a 34 DE is in his best interests. This is a guy who has paid his dues. He probably only has one more contract left and him playing in a 34 for a couple of seasons is not going to help him land a nice deal once the young guys are ready to step in and be the starters in a 34. Make no mistake. The club is not going to pay this guy millions of dollars to have him play end in a 34, part time. Eventually, the young guys will be the starters. Ellis role on this team is going to diminish greatly over the next few seasons. The question would be, where do things even out for Ellis once that happens? Ellis and Glover are screwed in a 34 if you ask me.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More than likely Ellis and/or Glover have been holding it all in since the offseason began. So he did the right thing by going in and getting it all out. I hope things get resolved during TC, however it plays out. I'd hate to add him to the other thread about "If only he'd stayed longer..."

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SALADIN said:
Ellis is one of the class acts of the team (league). If Parcells is trying to punk players like him them maybe he's the one who needs to go.

There is some merit to that.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
If Ellis is such a stand up guy why force a fight with the head coach? Perhaps he never really showed himself before because things always went the way he wanted? Remember last year he did not take to switching sides?

hmmmmm

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bungarian said:
If Ellis is such a stand up guy why force a fight with the head coach? Perhaps he never really showed himself before because things always went the way he wanted? Remember last year he did not take to switching sides?

hmmmmm
That was Wiley.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bungarian said:

hmmmmm

I don't remember this but it could have happened. I think you also need to remember that Ellis has been switched from LE to RE on numerous occasions. Sometimes, at the detriment of his own play. Bottom line, Ellis has never been a guy who makes waves. If someone has something that speaks contrary to that, please post it.

As far as I can remember, he's always been a stand up guy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I bet you if he is traded this will be yet another situation where fans will criticize Coach Parcells.

I like Ellis and all but I think the word is out. If you want out of Dallas, you can get out. Just question your role and you will be gone. Like Hambrick and Hutchinson.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm sure Ellis isn't happy, and it really shouldn't have one single iota of effect as to what the team does in its defensive philosophy. He's not a good enough player to showcase.

Mash

Reaction score
We all knew this was comming.........Ellis is a vet who tolled the company line......he had enough.....Glover will be next.....once he realizes that he will not start opening day.

So what good enough for Hutch, Hunter and the rest who questioned Bill.....the same should happen to Ellis....

We bashed Hunter because thru his agent he didn't feel like playing safety......Ellis was more direct....ala Bryant.....or Hutch in "whats my role"

Its Bill way or the highway......lets just hope....Bill can lead this team to the playoffs and beyond. It would be ashame for this to all happen for a 8-8 record or worse.....and a team filled with Bill guys when Bill is no longer here.

Lets see....Ellis and Glover are two of the top 3 players on defence.....(sorry Newman....you gotta play better).....and both are suited better in the 4-3.....Zimmer is still learning Greek....

Bill stubborness will hurt this team.....You put the best players on the field and put them in position to succeed.....but then again...maybe Bill thinks Ware and Spears are his best players and Glover and Ellis are stop gap players....till the younger guys move in.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
My bet this is blow out of proportion. It was a private meeting, so Newy is just talking out of his *** here suggesting he knows what was said.

Is Ellis upset? Well, he probably isn't thrilled about it. But everything I know about the guy suggests to me that he will play with respect and hard work. The nice thing about him is that he will take his problems into private meetings instead of airing them on the field by throwing towels at the coach, etc.

So, ultimately, until it begins effecting his play, I think this is a non-issue that Greg will get over and try to help the team win.

Sidebar:
Who the heck listens to Newy Scruggs? That guy is a tool.

Try tuning your radio to 1310 AM or 104.1 FM if you want to listen to sports.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
Wiley was told he would play Ellis' side when he signed as a free agent. Either Ellis would not switch or could not play on the other side and it never happened.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Greg Ellis = Freddy Mitchell - (minus) the Fluff.

He's a 1st RD pick that didn't live up to his expectations. Players drafted that high are expected to rise to the top and perform regardless of scheme. Ellis never consistently commanded a double team even when he was arguably the best Dline before Glover sign on. He's an average player, with great work ethic and exceptional off field intangibles. His contract reflexs so...........

We need play-makers. AB in his short span made more plays that Ellis did. I can understand his out burst. Ellis IMHO hasn't done anything to demand a scheme that show-cases his average skills. Ellis doesn't have any aspect of the game in which he truly excells. He good against the run, but doesn't make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He's an average pass rusher. That is a typical back-up type player. I think Cowboy fans have overatted the guy for far too long.

I never complained about him because there was noone good enough to take his gig, but it appears he's looking over his shoulder. Thats a good thing because it means we might have some talent better that Ellis.

The best Ellis can do it shut up, get to camp, out right win the job in any scheme/or role and proves to the Coaching staff and fans that he's worth a 1st RD pick.

If not,,, goodbye.........I like Flozell's chances against Ellis any day and twice on Sunday if we were to meet down the road.

This is a good sign for our team. Solid players complaining, I hope it lights a fire in his belly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I'm sure Ellis isn't happy, and it really shouldn't have one single iota of effect as to what the team does in its defensive philosophy. He's not a good enough player to showcase.

Perhaps, but if this is the case, then these guys need to be given the opportunity to be moved. Now is the time for the team to work out trades. Not after TC has already started.

IMO, Ellis and Glover have been real good players for us. The right thing to do here, IMO, is not blow smoke up ther collective arses and try to work out deals that will work for all parties.

Personally, I have no beef with moving guys who don't fit our plans. I was not and am not in favor of the 34 but hey, if that's what were doing, then we should do that. I stated long ago that I felt like both of these guys should be moved now and I think it's still the right thing to do. Assuming, of course, that we are making the move.

Mash

Reaction score
I agree that Ellis isn't a great player....but he has served this team well.....it wouldn't hurt me one bit to see him gone though....

But....I think Parcells could of dealt with this better and with more respect.....

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I bet you if he is traded this will be yet another situation where fans will criticize Coach Parcells.

I suppose that would depend on what the team got in return. One thing's for certain: if Ellis is sent out of town on a rail and what comes back is a bag of tees, then Parcells will deserve any criticism he gets. It's one thing to allow ego to cause one to lose one's cool momentarily. It's another thing entirely to rush a player's exit, on pain of not getting market value, in order to vindicate one's ego. Let's hope that doesn't happen (and, in truth, I have no reason to believe that it will).