Ellis???? Whats this guys deal?

Frozen700

Reaction score
Seriously, why is it every off season, he *****es and moans....for crying out loud we suffered a devastating loss, and all he can think about is his greedy pocket, and making up excuses "Spencer is a first round, he deserves to start, blah blah blah"

wow i really dis liked him for his crying, then saw him play and liked him again, but now? wow....just let him go Jerry

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
He's very self-centered. Pretty much only cares about getting paid. And playing the game how he wants to play it, not in a way that's best for the team.

Frozen700

Reaction score
theogt;1905532 said:
He's very self-centered. Pretty much only cares about getting paid. And playing the game how he wants to play it, not in a way that's best for the team.

yea seriously....its a very tiring act

Frozen700

Reaction score
Ellis' Worries Have Comeback, Too
Josh Ellis - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

January 14, 2008 7:20 PM

ellis1_011408_330.jpg

Ellis was voted the AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year over the weekend.

IRVING, Texas
- It's the off-season now, which means the Greg Ellis drama has begun anew.

The 10-year veteran outside linebacker says his backup, Anthony Spencer, is bound to start - his first-round pick status makes it all but assured. And Ellis thinks it's time to have a talk with the boss.

"Jerry made a big investment in Anthony," Ellis said. "There's something to be said about that - do you keep Greg who's getting older and his salary is going up and you invested new money in Anthony Spencer? What do you do in that situation?"

The whole idea brought a chuckle to Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips.

"He's the NFL Comeback Player of the Year," Phillips said. "He was pretty instrumental in us playing well on defense and our front seven being as strong as it was. I don't see him going anywhere."

See, Phillips knows how Ellis is. He worries. Professional athletes aren't generally known for their insecurities, but Ellis makes up for the rest of them.

Before the 2006 season he worried about whether he could successfully make the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker. He did, and well, basically anchored the team's run defense and supplied enough pass rush to keep teams from loading up to stop fellow outside 'backer DeMarcus Ware. After Ellis tore his Achilles' tendon in the ninth game of the season, the defense was never the same.

And last summer Ellis was so apprehensive about his ability to return from the injury, and thinking Spencer was going to pass him up then because of draft status, he asked to be released, or traded.

"You'd have to be dumb and blind or crazy not to realize you can't draft first-rounders and leave them on the bench," Ellis said. "I'm not naïve to that. If you know anything about the NFL you can't draft first-rounders and leave them on the bench for two or three years."

Ellis sat out the first three games rehabbing his heel, then came back and had his best season, finishing with a career-high 12½ sacks and three forced fumbles. You just get the feeling Ellis thinks his success has more to do with teams focusing their protection on Ware.

And as for what his value might be if he ever got on the open market now that he's come back from the injury?

"That had to be proven - that I still can do it," Ellis said. "The question mark has been removed; he's a safe guy to deal with now."

Ellis just feels like the move to draft Spencer showed the Cowboys intend to get younger at the position, and he said even if he could remain the starter and make the same money, a fresh start somewhere else is more appealing.

"When you see the things that have gone on here, maybe it's time to move on," he said.

"With no animosity, not being mad at Jerry - with no controversy, none of that stuff that's been going on for the last two or three years.

"It's none of that. They got Anthony and he's a first-rounder. I put myself in Jerry's situation and said if I was Jerry, what would I do? Jerry and I haven't had that conversation yet. He and I both said, well we'll talk after the season is over. We'll address it later on."

Ellis said being replaced by younger players is what's supposed to happen.

"Jerry may come to me and say, 'No, that's not the way it is,'" Ellis said. "It very well would surprise me."

jesusphreak

Reaction score
Heck, if Ellis wants out, let him out. He's played well enough this year where he's at least worth a 2nd round draft pick from another team. And I think Spencer is good enough to take his place. Maybe he won't be quite as good immediately, but he is more athletic, and as Greg said, he'll eventually be starting anyway.

Does anyone else agree with this thinking? What is Greg's trade value?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So basically what he's saying is that after the Cowboys gave him the opportunity to come back, after Jerry reworked his contract, after the fans forgave him for his whining all off season, after Wade put him in a position to best succeed he wants to use all that momentum to get a lucritive deal elsewhere?

Thanks Greg, we love you too.

Loser.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the cap hit would be to either cut him or trade him? This was getting old early in the year. I don't think he'd be worth more than a 3rd rounder at most given his age and injury history.

Frozen700

Reaction score
TheCount;1905550 said:
So basically what he's saying is that after the Cowboys gave him the opportunity to come back, after Jerry reworked his contract, after the fans forgave him for his whining all off season, after Wade put him in a position to best succeed he wants to use all that momentum to get a lucritive deal elsewhere?

Thanks Greg, we love you too.

Loser.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

this guy really has some issues(Ellis that is)

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Why am I not surprised. I mean I felt guilty early in the year when I suggested Ellis just isn't a "Winner". Not a Veteran leader, not a good guy to be around when he's constantly Debbie Downer etc.

Then he played really well, except I felt he tailored off down the stretch when it counted. Heck Ellis has been around for the whole time this team has been a mediocre at best group.

Perhaps he is part of the problem. He surely isn't a guy that is leading in a positive way is he, even if he was comeback player of the year. He seems more of a guy to play the VICTIM routine than a guy that takes a punch in the mouth and wins you game.

It's too bad, but this attitude has got to be trimmed out I think. It's not worth it any more.

LarryCanadian

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I wouldn't like this anymore in March, but NOW??????? The day after the biggest loss in 10 years? Just goes to show(TO ME) he only cares about himself. Shame on him and F him.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
If this is true. If Ellis is really feeling this way instead of being upset that he didn't do more to win a playoff game after more than a decade with this team, then I'm frankly disgusted.

If this is what guys are chewing on, then it's no wonder we lost on Sunday, I mean man.

If I was a team mate I'd tell him to shut up, veteran or no.

LarryCanadian

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1905659 said:
I wouldn't like this anymore in March, but NOW??????? The day after the biggest loss in 10 years? Just goes to show(TO ME) he only cares about himself. Shame on him and F him.

Yea, its like you get kicked in the groin and while you are still on the ground hunched over in pain, Ellis wants to talk about his contract:mad:

Dam Ellis, cant this wait a couple of days:mad:

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I think that Spencer will be good enough to replace Greg next season. Carpenter also flashed some ability at the end of the 06 season and just needs PT.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Back in Oct before the NE game, one of our posters here talked about an Ellis going to NYJ rumor for their first AND second rounder, assuming he plays well and stays healthy.(DTownradio, I believe that's his name, who's from the PA/south NJ area)

Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm................I wonder if it's true. After all, it IS the J-E-T-S.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Boysboy;1905697 said:
Back in Oct before the NE game, one of our posters here talked about an Ellis going to NYJ rumor for their first AND second rounder, assuming he plays well and stays healthy.(DTownradio, I believe that's his name, who's from the PA/south NJ area)

Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm................I wonder if it's true. After all, it IS the J-E-T-S.
If thats true pay for his plane ticket up there. I dont see anyway we get a 1st and 2nd even if we did trade him, but that would be incredible!

Boysboy

Reaction score
utrunner07;1905699 said:
If thats true pay for his plane ticket up there. I dont see anyway we get a 1st and 2nd even if we did trade him, but that would be incredible!

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99395&highlight=Ellis+Rumor

Okay I don't know how true this is but a friend of mine who lives in Jersey said that there is a bit of a buzz about a possible Ellis for a first and second round pick trade with the Jets at the end of the year if he can manage to keep himself healthy. What is your take on this? first is Spencer ready to take the starting job? and second who could we be targeting in the draft with three first rounders?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Never would happen. 1st and 2nd for an old self-centered asshat.

Not in a million years.