Article: Elon Musk Offers To Buy Twitter

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Thats not about politics. That post is explaining why Musk is now requiring accounts to have a checkmark to vote. It’s because of all the bots.

But don’t let me get in the way of your anti-Musk bad man rant.

And there’s no hate from me here for you bro. I just had a bit of a softie moment. Sorry if anything I’ve said has seemed directed towards you.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s writing the book on what NOT TO DO.

:facepalm:
I think Musk took on the CEO job because it was a rushed purchase once he realized he was going to lose the Twitter lawsuit and have to complete the purchase. I also think he did it for the attention.

Most importantly though, I think he did it so he could change things that were important to him (honestly, who wouldn't do that) before handing the reins over to someone who will inherit Musk's vision of Twitter.

The easy lay-up poll on whether Musk should stay or go was just a way to get everyone using Twitter in a single day, likely so Musk and his investor partners can promote the high numbers to would-be investors that they are recruiting.

With one single tweet, Musk was able to rally an army of media sources to promote Twitter to millions, if not billions, of people without spending a penny on advertising and/or promotion costs.

People can say what they want about Musk, some of which is well-deserved, but like him or hate him, the guy is smart. He played the media of the world and he got the very people who dislike him or his vision for Twitter to come use the very thing they are railing against.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The world's most unimpressive billionaire. He's the twit that owns Twitter and nothing more than a nerd with a mouth and a dollar. He's no Bill Gates.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Musk took on the CEO job because it was a rushed purchase once he realized he was going to lose the Twitter lawsuit and have to complete the purchase. I also think he did it for the attention.

Most importantly though, I think he did it so he could change things that were important to him (honestly, who wouldn't do that) before handing the reins over to someone who will inherit Musk's vision of Twitter.

The easy lay-up poll on whether Musk should stay or go was just a way to get everyone using Twitter in a single day, likely so Musk and his investor partners can promote the high numbers to would-be investors that they are recruiting.

With one single tweet, Musk was able to rally an army of media sources to promote Twitter to millions, if not billions, of people without spending a penny on advertising and/or promotion costs.

People can say what they want about Musk, some of which is well-deserved, but like him or hate him, the guy is smart. He played the media of the world and he got the very people who dislike him or his vision for Twitter to come use the very thing they are railing against.

He’s lost billions in the Twitter purchase and did incredible damage to his reputation and brand. I consider this entire episode to be the opposite of “smart”. He grossly overpaid for Twitter and then tanked its value even further with his antics.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s lost billions in the Twitter purchase and did incredible damage to his reputation and brand. I consider this entire episode to be the opposite of “smart”. He grossly overpaid for Twitter and then tanked its value even further with his antics.
When he made the offer, Twitter had a market value based on his offer. Unfortunately, the market nosedived soon after and a lot of smart business people lost money with the economy and market downturn.

That said, Musk said his plan all along was to take Twitter private, change its business model and then he plans to take it public again.

If Twitter can shift its primary revenue source from advertising to subscriptions, that will lead to a successful IPO that makes the purchase price an afterthought.

Now is the perfect time to restrcuture and rebuild a company like Twitter. Twitter's books will continue to look bad for the next couple of months because despite laying off thousands of people they are still paying all of them severance packages that include 90-days pay.

I am not a Musk fan or hater as there are good and bad things about him and how he operates.

I just think the media harps on things the masses assume to be mistakes while Musk is not even thinking about those things as his focus is on ways to fix the underlying problems that Twitter has rather than worry about what people think of him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When he made the offer, Twitter had a market value based on his offer. Unfortunately, the market nosedived soon after and a lot of smart business people lost money with the economy and market downturn.

I’m referring to Twitter specifically. His initial offer was much too high. And I think once he realized that, he tried to back out if it. That tells you all you need to know.

That said, Musk said his plan all along was to take Twitter private, change its business model and then he plans to take it public again.

Good luck with all that Elon! He’s done the opposite of building it up. Nobody’s going to be dumb enough to overpay like he did gif something he’s now devalued even further.

If Twitter can shift its primary revenue source from advertising to subscriptions, that will lead to a successful IPO that makes the purchase price an afterthought.

Good luck with that too. Nobody will now pay for what they got for free. ‘AOL online’ is gone and it’s not coming back.

Now is the perfect time to restrcuture and rebuild a company like Twitter. Twitter's books will continue to look bad for the next couple of months because despite laying off thousands of people they are still paying all of them severance packages that include 90-days pay.

I’ve seen the ‘tear of down’ part, we can revisit things if and when any ‘rebuild’ takes place.

I am not a Musk fan or hater as there are good and bad things about him and how he operates.

I’m among the masses that has lost a lot of respect for him.

I just think the media harps on things the masses assume to be mistakes while Musk is not even thinking about those things as his focus is on ways to fix the underlying problems that Twitter has rather than worry about what people think of him.

He certainly doesn’t seem to worry about what people think of him. To everyone’s detriment.

John813

Reaction score
I think he wanted his fun in the sun as the CEO, which depending on which way you lean was funny or stupid.
But I doubt it was his long term plans to be the CEO for a long time. Just enough to hog attention and then hand it off.
Also, think the twitter purchase was a great excuse to sell his stock in Tesla. $40 billion sold this year.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The world's most unimpressive billionaire. He's the twit that owns Twitter and nothing more than a nerd with a mouth and a dollar. He's no Bill Gates.

When I first heard about Elon Musk years ago, I thought he was a cool dude. Created PayPal, Tesla and SpaceX? This guy is like Tony Stark! He even had a cameo in Iron Man 2.

It’s only when I read about his personality, the way he’s treated employees, his family, and the suppression of journalists who have negative things to say about his companies’ products that I started to dislike him. Add on top of that the things he’s said that are just flat out weird or whiny… he just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

It’s hard for me to look at his track record and say “this man cares about the little guy, the common people”.

He’s like Tony Stark in the first movie, before he gets kidnapped.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I first heard about Elon Musk years ago, I thought he was a cool dude. Created PayPal, Tesla and SpaceX? This guy is like Tony Stark! He even had a cameo in Iron Man 2.

It’s only when I read about his personality, the way he’s treated employees, his family, and the suppression of journalists who have negative things to say about his companies’ products that I started to dislike him. Add on top of that the things he’s said that are just flat out weird or whiny… he just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

It’s hard for me to look at his track record and say “this man cares about the little guy, the common people”.

:hammer:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

History is filled with rich people who abused their weatlh, power and influence, and Musk is no different.

That said, I do think for many people, those attributes are a thin layer covering the main reasons they dislike him which is he does not agree with their opinions on things.

Over the last few years it has become more and more common to sabre rattle, bang drums, etc. while grabbing the pitchforks in an effort to ignite outrage and support and that is true for those who like and hate Musk.

Every side is noble, every side is right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Even when a side admits a little fault they are quick to say, "but .. but .. the other side is worse!"

I just do not get worked up over "sides" in things. It is pointless to me to waste time dwelling on things outside of my control.

Musk and his investors own Twitter. If Musk picks the next CEO, it will be someone he controls and someone who agrees with his vision.

At this point, the media will continue doing their best to foster outrage and anger, the people who hate Musk or his ideals will continue whining about it and the people who like Musk or his ideals will continue whining about those who don't.

As I have said many times, as long as popular celebrtiies, musicians, professional athletes, etc. keep using Twitter, the masses will keep using and following it. Sure, famous people can get attention by saying, "I'm done with Twitter!" but when they see no one else following them they will be right back with their "I'm not going to let him win, I'm staying here" return tweets.

What most people forget sometimes is that famous people are brands and for brands to make and keep making money they need to stay relevant. Leaving a popular social media site is just not good business sense except for aging/former famous people who are likely not benefitting much from it already beyond ego stroking.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Elon exposed how the FBI is subverting Free Speech.
Yep. What the FBI was doing was illegal.

The FBI should be hunting down child predators and terrorists.

Instead they were spending agents and man hours monitoring and shutting down free speech on twitter. Even though no crimes were being committed.

It’s absolutely scary and disgusting.

Noone should be okay with that.