Emergency rescue effort is launched for teen sailor Abby Sunderland *Found alive*

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great news.

Hopefully she will use her upcoming 15 minutes of fame productively.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3430397 said:
Great news.

Hopefully she will use her upcoming 15 minutes of fame productively.

Did she call Ed Werder a hack?

Duane

Reaction score
Glad they found her alive and physically well. Hopefully somthing like this won't scar her emotionally.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If I were in her shoes, I would get the mast repaired and finish the journey.

Great news.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Glad she is safe but child endangerment charges should be filed. I don't care how good of a sailor she is fact is she is 16 years old

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know. I have serious doubts about all of this. I can see the point of view that says, let here try if she is capable but I think there is more to it then that. From what I have read, her mainmast sail broke. In reading the article, she appears to be sailing in a 40 ft. sailboat designed for racing. If this is true, then she's probably in the wrong kind of craft to begin with. It would be really hard for just one person to manage that craft in rough seas, which you are bound to hit at this time of the year.

To date, they have sent out a Jet Liner (Air Bus) to locate her, diverted at least three vessels to search and rescue her, I don't know who is paying the cost of this but I'd imagine it's going to get pretty expensive. I just think it's crazy to allow this to continue.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3430519 said:
Glad she is safe but child endangerment charges should be filed. I don't care how good of a sailor she is fact is she is 16 years old

Bull****.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3430662 said:
Bull****.

Why she is 16 and she is going to sail around the world, you do not think there are major risk in this? What an adult chooses to do is on them at 16 parents are suppose to be responsible for their kids. I don't think letting your 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone is very responsible.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3430675 said:
Why she is 16 and she is going to sail around the world, you do not think there are major risk in this? What an adult chooses to do is on them at 16 parents are suppose to be responsible for their kids. I don't think letting your 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone is very responsible.
It may not be, but from what I have read, she has handled a bad situation perfectly. To me, that says she is capable. If parents always shielded their kids from dangerous activities the NFL would die.

Some souls are adventurous. Hers is. I can't fault her parents.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile;3430682 said:
It may not be, but from what I have read, she has handled a bad situation perfectly. To me, that says she is capable. If parents always shielded their kids from dangerous activities the NFL would die.

Sorry sailing around the world alone is much different that a supervised activity. I do not doubt she is a very good sailor but it does not change the fact she is a 16 year old kid.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;3430682 said:

I agree, but IMO she isn't old enough to make that decision. I don't think her parents should be allowing such a decision to be acted upon.

Once she is old enough to make that type of decision on her own (18) and she wants to do it. Then let her do it.

Many people at 18 aren't mature enough to make those types of decisions. I don't care how mature someone appears at 16, IMO that person isn't mature enough for this type of decision.

CoCo

Reaction score
Its been an interesting debate of sorts to this point.

But now maybe those experts closest to the situation can make an accurate assessment of this endeavor, its advisability to begin with, prospects of continuing, and proceed with whatever is prudent at this point in time including charges filed if appropriate.

People can hand down their speculative judgements all day long from sketchy news stories halfway around the globe but in the end the realities will be dealt with by people in the know.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CoCo;3430690 said:
Its been an interesting debate of sorts to this point.

But now maybe those experts closest to the situation can make an accurate assessment of this endeavor, its advisability to begin with, prospects of continuing, and proceed with whatever is prudent at this point in time including charges filed if appropriate.

People can hand down their speculative judgements all day long from sketchy news stories halfway around the globe but in the end the realities will be dealt with by people in the know.

It does not change the fact we are talking a child, 16 is a child. What should the cut off age be? 10 if this was a 10 year old child would that be wrong? I don't think anyone is claiming she is incapable of sailing but even for the most experience sailors taking a journey like that is very dangerous

CoCo

Reaction score
nyc;3430687 said:
I agree, but IMO she isn't old enough to make that decision. I don't think her parents should be allowing such a decision to be acted upon.

Once she is old enough to make that type of decision on her own (18) and she wants to do it. Then let her do it.

Many people at 18 aren't mature enough to make those types of decisions. I don't care how mature someone appears at 16, IMO that person isn't mature enough for this type of decision.

Maturity is not an age. I understand often times the two go hand-in-hand but it is not absolute.

I think people are being too legalistic about this whole thing and in particular when you suggest that if she's 18 and wants to then she should be able to. If its all about an age then it really doesn't matter what the sailing skills or circumstances are which is of course absurd. But that, IMO, is how some of you are treating this.

16 = wrong (no matter the skill or circumstance)
18 = anyone is fully capable of saying yes/no regardless of skill or circumstance.

The world is FULL of 18 year olds who can't reasonably assess that or far less risky propositions. So if the parents are legally culpable at 16 I would also presume they used their adult judgment in helping her make the decision to begin with.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CoCo;3430696 said:
Maturity is not an age. I understand often times the two go hand-in-hand but it is not absolute.

I think people are being too legalistic about this whole thing and in particular when you suggest that if she's 18 and wants to then she should be able to. If its all about an age then it really doesn't matter what the sailing skills or circumstances are which is of course absurd. But that, IMO, is how some of you are treating this.

16 = wrong (no matter the skill or circumstance)
18 = anyone is fully capable of saying yes/no regardless of skill or circumstance.

The world is FULL of 18 year olds who can't reasonably assess that or far less risky propositions. So if the parents are legally culpable at 16 I would also presume they used their adult judgment in helping her make the decision to begin with.

So if a 10 year old parents allowed them to sail around the world that would be ok? I do agree there are 18 years olds who are very immature but they are of legal age to make the choices they choose to make.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
nyc;3430687 said:

What type of decision?

To pursue an adventure that they are clearly qualified for?

I think a lot of people are caught up on the age and are completely disregarding her ability. If she is capable enough, why hold her back?

You're not doing any good. She won't have gained some secret knowledge or skill in the time it takes her to turn 18.

Her skill level right now is so high that anything she could possibly learn in the next year and half (she's less than a year and a half away from being 18) would be so small that it probably wouldn't even help her. That's assuming there is anything that she could encounter that she hasn't already encountered.

Parents let prodigy kids attend college before they should have graduated junior high. Are there no inherent risks in going to college? I've seen plenty.

There's the reality of it. She isn't some average-joe kid who picked up sailing last month. She is a unique individual who has a set of skills capable of completing this task. Holding her back from a once in a lifetime opportunity isn't right, IMO.