Emmitt Smith at 30 years old was still a great back

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Emmitt is the GOAT. :starspin:

Haters point to his line but a lot of those guys were in the NFL long before him. One of my favorite quotes from Nate Newton was "I was a fat journeyman guard until Emmitt got here. Then I became a Pro Bowler".

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
A few RBs might’ve been better at their peaks (Barry), but longevity has to count. That’s what makes Emmitt the GOAT.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith was one of one.. There will never be another like him so we should appreciate him for what he gave us and stop trying to turn other backs into him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Haters point to his line but a lot of those guys were in the NFL long before him. One of my favorite quotes from Nate Newton was "I was a fat journeyman guard until Emmitt got here. Then I became a Pro Bowler".
What Nate actually said was "Before Emmitt came here I was just a fat guy. After Emmitt came here I was a fat guy making Pro Bowls! Fans and mediots will never fully appreciate Emmitt but those guys he played with damn sure do!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Most backs these days are washed before 30 years old. Not Emmitt Smith. 1397 yards, 4.2 yards per carry and 11 tds rushing. And missed a game and a half because of breaking his hand against Minnesota in which he rushed for 140 yards in the first half. Who knows, had he not got hurt it's possible he sets a record for rushing yards in a single game and possibly wins the rushing title that year. Emmitt was a great durable back. He may not be the goat but he was easily a top 5 running back all-time.

OIP._UFSxqCjeEbglIKHX7DNIgHaKs
Durability was one of his greatest attributes.

Toro9

Reaction score
Emmitt had superior vision and usually got down without getting hit too hard. Or he just scored a TD. But he was also tough as nails so if he did get hurt it usually didn't take him out of the game. Once in a generation-type player.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The most impressive Emmitt Smith facts for me…..

1993, his MVP season….

Dallas was 15-0 when he played a full game, 0-4 when he did not, for one reason or another.

Also, I’m still stunned by the fact that Troy Aikman didn’t win a single NFL game that Emmitt Smith didn’t play in. Look it up, it’s very true.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Most backs these days are washed before 30 years old. Not Emmitt Smith. 1397 yards, 4.2 yards per carry and 11 tds rushing. And missed a game and a half because of breaking his hand against Minnesota in which he rushed for 140 yards in the first half. Who knows, had he not got hurt it's possible he sets a record for rushing yards in a single game and possibly wins the rushing title that year. Emmitt was a great durable back. He may not be the goat but he was easily a top 5 running back all-time.

I greatly looked up to him as a child.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
The most impressive Emmitt Smith facts for me…..

1993, his MVP season….

Dallas was 15-0 when he played a full game, 0-4 when he did not, for one reason or another.

Also, I’m still stunned by the fact that Troy Aikman didn’t win a single NFL game that Emmitt Smith didn’t play in. Look it up, it’s very true.
I did not know that. Yes. They might have went undefeated had Emmitt played every game that season.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
And maybe he was the G.O.A.T.. Name another back that had 4 rushing titles, 3 Super Bowl wins, NFL mpv, Super Bowl mvp, all time rushing yards and tds and second yards from scrimmage.

Einstein

Reaction score
People say running backs don't matter, that is only true if a RB is average or slightly above average.

An ELITE running back adds a good bit of value. If i was a running back i'd play for 3 years straight and take like half a year off.

I also definitely think there is something about shorter RB's tend to be more durable.

Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were all 5'9 or under.
Frank Gore is 5'9.
Sweetness was 5'10... and he was the GOAT IMO. Love Emmitt, but...

fivetwos

Reaction score
I did not know that. Yes. They might have went undefeated had Emmitt played every game that season.
He missed the first two to holdout, was injured early at Atlanta the Sunday before the Leon Lett TG game.

Those are the four.

Another always fun fact about the Lett game, not only did Dallas never lose again that season, Miami never won again after climbing to 9-2 with that win. They missed the playoffs.

Never take crap from a Dolphin fan over that one lol.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
He missed the first two to holdout, was injured early at Atlanta the Sunday before the Leon Lett TG game.

Those are the four.

Another always fun fact about the Lett game, not only did Dallas never lose again that season, Miami never won again after climbing to 9-2 with that win. They missed the playoffs.

Never take crap from a Dolphin fan over that one lol.
I went to that game. I went from elated to deflated in a matter of seconds and had to drive back home in bad road conditions.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He 'is' the G.O.A.T.
Yep. There is no logical argument against it.

Emmitt holds every major career NFL rushing record; carries, yards, tds, 100 yard games, and now holds the record for longest reign as all time rushing champ. Add MVP awards and 3 SB rings, and no other running back can touch those results.

exciter

Reaction score

Emmitt, Payton, Peterson etc are historically outliers at the position. Brown, Sayers, OJ, Dickerson, Campbell etc had either much shorter careers or years they were productive!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

The 49ers and Bills had offensive lines that everyone considered better than Dallas back then until Emmitt showed up.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
And maybe he was the G.O.A.T.. Name another back that had 4 rushing titles, 3 Super Bowl wins, NFL mpv, Super Bowl mvp, all time rushing yards and tds and second yards from scrimmage.
He also scored more points than any other RB ever. He scored more points than any other non-kicker except Jerry Rice.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back in those days backs were also washed before 30 years old. It's always been true. Emmitt Smith was an exception. There have been other exceptions but not very many.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
The 49ers and Bills had offensive lines that everyone considered better than Dallas back then until Emmitt showed up.
Emmitt made his line better. Yes his vision was second to none and was able to find those holes