Emmitt Smith at 30 years old was still a great back

offlimits

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith. Plays in a key game with a separated shoulder.

Fast forward to this era of the NFL.

(Fill in the blank) running back. Gets a boo boo. Out four to six weeks.
For that matter, Troy Aikman was concussed when he played in SB 28. There was a reason why he had an off day but fortunately, the defence came to the rescue. Long before these concussion protocols.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
People say running backs don't matter, that is only true if a RB is average or slightly above average.

An ELITE running back adds a good bit of value. If i was a running back i'd play for 3 years straight and take like half a year off.

I also definitely think there is something about shorter RB's tend to be more durable.

Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders were all 5'9 or under.
Frank Gore is 5'9.
4.2 yards per carry is not an elite running back. Smith was productive at 30. He wasn't elite.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Leading the league is a function of volume. Not elite ability. 4.2 ypc is just not special.

In most rushing yards...
1) Mcaffrey: 4.8
2) Zack Moss: 4.6
3)D'Andre Swift: 5.1
5) James Cook: 5.6
6) Raheem Mosteret: 5.6
8) Kyren Williams: 4.7
10) Breece Hall: 6.5

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Leading the league is a function of volume. Not elite ability. 4.2 ypc is just not special.

In most rushing yards...
1) Mcaffrey: 4.8
2) Zack Moss: 4.6
3)D'Andre Swift: 5.1
5) James Cook: 5.6
6) Raheem Mosteret: 5.6
8) Kyren Williams: 4.7
10) Breece Hall: 6.5
You are cherry picking. Those guys can't touch Emmitt's stats in any other category. Plus, it's misleading as Emmitt scored more short yardage touchdowns than any running back in history which drags down his average.

From 1991 to 1995, the primes for both, Barry Sanders had a YPC of 4.8 while Emmitt's was 4.6 and that is with Emmitt scoring so many short yardage TDs.

From High School through college and the Pros no RB in history has more rushing yards and rushing TDs than Emmitt Smith.

In NFL history no RB has more carries, rushing yards, rushing TDs, 100 yard games, or a longer reign as all time rushing leader than Emmitt Smith.

In NFL Playoff history no RB has more carries, rushing yards, rushing TDs, 100 yard games, or a longer reign as all time playoff rushing leader than Emmitt Smith.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
31000 yards and 300 TDs from high school through the NFL. World records.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith lead the league in both rushing yards and rushing TDs 3 times. Barry Sanders never accomplished this.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Sweetness was 5'10... and he was the GOAT IMO. Love Emmitt, but...
There's not one major career stat that Payton has over Emmitt. You can claim better athlete or better grace, but you can't claim anyone was greater than Emmitt at RB.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Look I'm not trying to talk negatively about Emmitt in any way, but you are wrong. Check the stats.
https://www.profootballhof.com/players/walter-payton/
https://www.profootballhof.com/players/emmitt-smith/
I would never talk negatively about Sweetness... nor would I argue with anyone who thinks he was as good or better than Emmitt. What you CAN'T say is that he (or anyone else) had a better career than Emmitt.. Emmitt won more rushing titles, more championships, more MVPs, scored more touchdowns and is the all time leading rusher both in the regular season and in the playoffs. I would take either man on my team any day. They were the two most complete backs of all time IMHO and both were possessed of a ridiculous will to win and fighting spirit!

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
You are cherry picking. Those guys can't touch Emmitt's stats in any other category. Plus, it's misleading as Emmitt scored more short yardage touchdowns than any running back in history which drags down his average.

From 1991 to 1995, the primes for both, Barry Sanders had a YPC of 4.8 while Emmitt's was 4.6 and that is with Emmitt scoring so many short yardage TDs.

From High School through college and the Pros no RB in history has more rushing yards and rushing TDs than Emmitt Smith.

In NFL history no RB has more carries, rushing yards, rushing TDs, 100 yard games, or a longer reign as all time rushing leader than Emmitt Smith.

In NFL Playoff history no RB has more carries, rushing yards, rushing TDs, 100 yard games, or a longer reign as all time playoff rushing leader than Emmitt Smith.
We aren't talking about Smith's prime. We're talking about his twilight.