Emmitt Smith at 30 years old was still a great back

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The most impressive Emmitt Smith facts for me…..

1993, his MVP season….

Dallas was 15-0 when he played a full game, 0-4 when he did not, for one reason or another.

Also, I’m still stunned by the fact that Troy Aikman didn’t win a single NFL game that Emmitt Smith didn’t play in. Look it up, it’s very true.
That team could have gone 19-0 if not for Jerry being cheap and playing hardball with Emmitt about money.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Exception. Not just today, it's always been that way. The few who last a long time are lauded. We just had Stephen Jackson and Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson last forever. Nothing has changed.
Stephen Jackson...who was the coach who passed on him here???

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Most backs these days are washed before 30 years old. Not Emmitt Smith. 1397 yards, 4.2 yards per carry and 11 tds rushing. And missed a game and a half because of breaking his hand against Minnesota in which he rushed for 140 yards in the first half. Who knows, had he not got hurt it's possible he sets a record for rushing yards in a single game and possibly wins the rushing title that year. Emmitt was a great durable back. He may not be the goat but he was easily a top 5 running back all-time.

OIP._UFSxqCjeEbglIKHX7DNIgHaKs
thats because he avoided hits and didn't rely on speed.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Most backs these days are washed before 30 years old. Not Emmitt Smith. 1397 yards, 4.2 yards per carry and 11 tds rushing. And missed a game and a half because of breaking his hand against Minnesota in which he rushed for 140 yards in the first half. Who knows, had he not got hurt it's possible he sets a record for rushing yards in a single game and possibly wins the rushing title that year. Emmitt was a great durable back. He may not be the goat but he was easily a top 5 running back all-time.

He is the G.O.A.T

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
One time Emmitt stiff armed Darrel Green to the ground. Green gets up and chases Emmitt down 30 yards later. Lol

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
It’s why he’s at the top.
he’s the greatest , only cowboys haters deny that.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
Jerry Rice holds every meaningful career receiving record. A 3-time Super Bowl champ. Was never the biggest nor the fastest receiver. Incomparable durability. Played 15 seasons with a HOF QB throwing to him. Consensus greatest receiver of all time. Emmitt Smith is the RB analog to Jerry Rice.

Thomas82

Reaction score

Facts!! He missed 10 quarters of football because of a broken hand and a nagging groin injury, which likely cost him a 5th rushing title.....at age 30.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
The greatness of Emmitt Smith even in his last 4 years in Dallas when he was past his prime and didn’t have a good o-line. Compare his rushing stats and TD’s to Ezekiel Elliott’s first 4 years in Dallas considered his best.

Emmitt- Total rushing yards 4,596 36 TD’s
Elliott- Total rushing yards 5,405 40 TD’s

Flamma

Reaction score
I have Emmitt as #1. I realize a case can be made for many of the great RBs, but Emmitt has the rushing title, and he had no weaknesses. He did everything at a high level. Even played injured at a high level. He was like the perfect back.

Flamma

Reaction score
He missed the first two to holdout, was injured early at Atlanta the Sunday before the Leon Lett TG game.

Those are the four.

Another always fun fact about the Lett game, not only did Dallas never lose again that season, Miami never won again after climbing to 9-2 with that win. They missed the playoffs.

Never take crap from a Dolphin fan over that one lol.
I have a friend that has been a long time Dolphins fan. I can't tell you how many times I've had to bring up those minor details. So enjoyable.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jerry Rice holds every meaningful career receiving record. A 3-time Super Bowl champ. Was never the biggest nor the fastest receiver. Incomparable durability. Played 15 seasons with a HOF QB throwing to him. Consensus greatest receiver of all time. Emmitt Smith is the RB analog to Jerry Rice.
Good point. I'm just not so sure Rice didn't have much speed. Some people have adrenalin speed that doesn't show up in 40 times. I've never seen anyone run Rice down that wasn't named Darrel Green.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I still wonder how many yards Emmitt would have finished that Monday night game with and how many he would have gotten against the Packers and Eagles if not for those injuries.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Good point. I'm just not so sure Rice didn't have much speed. Some people have adrenalin speed that doesn't show up in 40 times. I've never seen anyone run Rice down that wasn't named Darrel Green.
:hammer:15 years worth of film that said he did have speed regardless of what the stop watch said.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Lot of tremendous RB talent has taken the field over the decades. Many of them more physically capable than most of the greats but they all lacked one or more of the things that made the great ones great.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
Taking nothing away from Rice. But was never known for his speed or size. In my opinion, he is the greatest receiver ever. My point is, he was the beneficiary of HOF QB play for the vast majority of his career. Nobody penalizes him for it. I certainly don’t. Emmitt is just as accomplished and, in fact, played for some really bad teams. Emmitt was the centerpiece of the Cowboys offense for 3 SB wins, not Aikman, not Irvin, Emmitt.

conner01

Reaction score
Elite RBs are rare and they usually miss a month of the season because they can’t stay healthy.

It’s just a bad investment and not worth it.

Spend those dollars on a lineman.
More so today since the game has become much more of a passing game