Emmitt Smith to current Cowboys: "You're not a star yet."

doomsday9084

Reaction score
To a large degree, the target should be Jerry. He is the one trying to sell the public on the team being loaded with talented stars. Its not the players' fault for eating the cheese when the owner is the one pushing it.

Until Jerry takes Emmitt's words to heart and doesn't anoint players until AFTER they have had real success, this isn't going to go well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t believe that for one second. They’re all striving to reach the level of success he did. Emmitt has three Super Bowl rings and a bust in the Hall of Fame. Young players listen to players like that. The problem with some young players today is they’re only interested in making a lot of money. They push hard for the second contract and once they get it the foot comes off the gas.
I’m not sure I even blame them anymore. It’s become an entertainment sports league .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To a large degree, the target should be Jerry. He is the one trying to sell the public on the team being loaded with talented stars. Its not the players' fault for eating the cheese when the owner is the one pushing it.

Until Jerry takes Emmitt's words to heart and doesn't anoint players until AFTER they have had real success, this isn't going to go well.
While I agree with this , I think the stars also need to show up on the bigger stages.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m not sure I even blame them anymore. It’s become an entertainment sports league .

The Cowboys have become very entertaining to those who love seeing them fall flat on their face every year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I blame the culture and the lack of authority given to the coaching staff in Dallas MUCH more so than today's generation of player.

Old man Belichick somehow gets through.

Jerry thinks he can get the most out of these guys by overpaying them and being their buddy.

Nice sentiment, but it DOESN'T WORK.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dak's signing bonus was more money than Emmitt made his entire career . Tad says Dak is the man and it is hard to argue. He may have pooped his pants when it mattered most but he is making the bank.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys have become very entertaining to those who love seeing them fall flat on their face every year.
Yea but that’s always been the case. I’m not sure how that is pertinent to Emmitts comments.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak's signing bonus was more money than Emmitt made his entire career . Tad says Dak is the man and it is hard to argue. He may have pooped his pants when it mattered most but he is making the bank.
Money is relative. Emmitt was one of the highest paid in his era. And inflation may not be holding up to 30 years ago.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Money is relative. Emmitt was one of the highest paid in his era. And inflation may not be holding up .
Emmitt was the best at his position and already a champion by the time he signed that contract.

Dak isn't even top 10 at his position and has lead the Cowboys to a 1-4 playoff record. There's a massive difference.

Nobody would care about Dak's contract if his play on the field warranted it.

That's a Jerry mistake. I don't blame Dak for getting paid, but to compare it to Emmitt is just crazy. Emmitt actually deserved it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Emmitt was the best at his position and already a champion by the time he signed that contract.

Dak isn't even top 10 at his position and has lead the Cowboys to a 1-4 playoff record. There's a massive difference.

Nobody would care about Dak's contract if his play on the field warranted it.

That's a Jerry mistake. I don't blame Dak for getting paid, but to compare it to Emmitt is just crazy. Emmitt actually deserved it.
I’m not sure why this response to what I was responding to.

But this notion that only champions are deserving of a payday is ridiculous. Plus I’d argue Daks value to Jethro is actually worth it which is not all about winning championships unfortunately.

Different times, different priorities and agendas.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I’m not sure why this response to what I was responding to.

But this notion that only champions are deserving of a payday is ridiculous. Plus I’d argue Daks value to Jethro is actually worth it which is not all about winning championships unfortunately.

Different times, different priorities and agendas.
When you said "Emmitt was one of the highest paid in his era" to defend Daks contract when responding to this:

Then I feel the need to bring context in for the uninformed. Emmitt deserved that contract. Emmitt was a Super Bowl champion and back to back NFL rushing champ when he got that contract.

Dak has done nothing to deserve to be the 3rd highest paid NFL player ever. Again, that's not Dak fault. He did what any of us would do if offered that contract, but it also doesn't mean we have to try and justify it by saying things like "Emmitt was one of the highest paid in his era". I believe looking at it that was just hurts your argument. Because Emmitt is a inner circle HOFer/Champion, while Dak is none of those.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you said "Emmitt was one of the highest paid in his era" to defend Daks contract when responding to this:

Then I feel the need to bring context in for the uninformed. Emmitt deserved that contract. Emmitt was a Super Bowl champion and back to back NFL rushing champ when he got that contract.

Dak has done nothing to deserve to be the 3rd highest paid NFL player ever. Again, that's not Dak fault. He did what any of us would do if offered that contract, but it also doesn't mean we have to try and justify it by saying things like "Emmitt was one of the highest paid in his era". I believe looking at it that was just hurts your argument. Because Emmitt is a inner circle HOFer/Champion, while Dak is none of those.
You misread my intent . I wasn’t defending Dak with that statement. My intent was that he presented it as though Emmitt wasn’t well paid. Context is important.

The rest is a separate argument.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
While I agree with this , I think the stars also need to show up on the bigger stages.

I have been saying for quite some time that Jerry's sales pitch is self fulfilling failure

1. Team wins a few games against weak NFCE teams
2. Jerry tells media and fanbase that the team is loaded and he is thinking super bowl
3. Players get to contract negotiations and demand to be paid like the stars Jerry says they are
4. Team has to scrimp on free agency and let a few players go due to salary issues, keep older overpaid people, etc.
5. Dallas plays a real team in a meaningful game and ends up being short on talent
6. Team has to blow up due to contracts

Rinse, wash, repeat. The whole process takes a few years to play out but we have been through this several times now.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Agreed. The problem is. That "Ive made it" culture has been cultivated by the owner. There's a reason this team hasnt won since before Dak and Romo, and its not a lack of talent. You can put Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, whoever you want under center. The real problem isnt on the field. Its above it.

If there was no accountability in my career or in my workplace I would be watching Marvel movies all day instead of busting my you know what. Until REAL accountability comes back to Dallas. Expect more of the same.

Spot on ...there is no bad to losing here, "Well we lost but me and Jerry are still tight"....Normal GM's have to explain to the owner what went wrong..Our ridiculous GM is laying the blame on the HC he hired...again...FFS.

RaZon

Reaction score
Dan Marino
Warren Moon
Dan Fouts
Philip Rivers
Fran Tarkenton
Jim Kelly
are far more revered as great QB;s than Superbowl winners Joe Flacco, Jim McMahan, Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning. so not buying you must own a SB ring to be great. Aaron Donald has been great and would still be great if the Rams had lost.

Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas all great players without a SB ring. And the list of other great players without a ring a mile long. Emmitt is way off on this.

Jonathan Taylor is by far a better RB than any RB the Rams have who now own a SB ring.