Emmitt, you can relax, LT is on the downside

dfense

Reaction score
I always thought LT would end Emmitt's all time rushing mark before his career was over. That is not going to happen now. He needs almost 7000 yds.

LT is only averaging 66 yards a game. He'll be lucky to get a thousand yards this year. Two years ago he had 1800+.

He's working career lows in every rushing stat including the most telling 3.7 per carry, lowest since his rookie season. Even his receiving stats are the worst of his career.

Emmitt won Superbowls, which bought him the right to play late in his career. LT may see his playing time reduced before long. The Chargers have underachieved his entire career. Never quite meeting the expectations, his time in San Diego may be coming to an end.

At his present rate, LT will have to play in 100 more games.

Into his 15th season.

And he'll still be short.

Let the A. Peterson watch begin.

anava

Reaction score
dfense;2456700 said:
I always thought LT would end Emmitt's all time rushing mark before his career was over. That is not going to happen now. He needs almost 7000 yds.

LT is only averaging 66 yards a game. He'll be lucky to get a thousand yards this year. Two years ago he had 1800+.

He's working career lows in every rushing stat including the most telling 3.7 per carry, lowest since his rookie season. Even his receiving stats are the worst of his career.

Emmitt won Superbowls, which bought him the right to play late in his career. LT may see his playing time reduced before long. The Chargers have underachieved his entire career. Never quite meeting the expectations, his time in San Diego may be coming to an end.

At his present rate, LT will have to play in 100 more games.

Into his 15th season.

And he'll still be short.

The way Peterson runs he will never get close.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
anava;2456708 said:
The way Peterson runs he will never get close.

Sprinkle in another one of those near-300 yard rushing games every other year or so, and he'll get pretty close, haha.

I would hesitate to say LT is on the downslope too - he's had that toe all season.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
casmith07;2456740 said:
Sprinkle in another one of those near-300 yard rushing games every other year or so, and he'll get pretty close, haha.

I would hesitate to say LT is on the downslope too - he's had that toe all season.

he has had that toe his whole life! jk

lol

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
It really does look like LT is a lot slower this season. He doesn't have the burst he used to. I think it is pretty obvious. He isn't wiggling as much as he used to either.

Next year might be different though.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
ajk23az;2456815 said:
It really does look like LT is a lot slower this season. He doesn't have the burst he used to. I think it is pretty obvious. He isn't wiggling as much as he used to either.

Next year might be different though.

i agree...

Section446

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing the other day watching Turner run. I wonder how much the Chargers wish they still had him to come in and spell L.T. every few downs. I know they have Sproles but I don't think he really scares defenses the way Turner did as a #2.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dfense;2456700 said:

Peterson already is 1,095 yards behind what Emmitt had at the same age. And at his current pace this season, Peterson will fall behind even more by the end of the year.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2456871 said:
Peterson already is 1,095 yards behind what Emmitt had at the same age. And at his current pace this season, Peterson will fall behind even more by the end of the year.

I saw something about Peterson being in the top five for rushing in his first 25 games along with Dickerson, Brown yada. I don't remember Emmitt being on that list as he started slower. So that's scary about Emmitt's record.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Emmitt's record will stand for a long time -

till they expand schedules again

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jobberone;2456970 said:
I saw something about Peterson being in the top five for rushing in his first 25 games along with Dickerson, Brown yada. I don't remember Emmitt being on that list as he started slower. So that's scary about Emmitt's record.

The "first 25 games" thing isn't that important when it comes to Emmitt's record. Emmitt was a 21-year-old rookie. Most players -- including Adrian Peterson -- are at least 22 before the end of their rookie season. Think of Emmitt's first year as a 937-yard bonus to start his career, then his second year as if he was a 22-year-old rookie, like most players (such as Peterson). That "bonus" year makes a big difference on the back end of careers, when running backs start reaching age 29 or 30. That's one of the reasons Emmitt's longevity was so amazing and why his record just might be unreachable (depending on whether the NFL expands seasons to 18 games). He started earlier than most running backs, AND he remained a full-time feature back until a later age than any other running back.

Given how much more productive Emmitt was after age 30 than any other feature back in NFL history, for someone to break his record, they'll almost certainly have to be well ahead of his yardage at the same age when they're 28, 29 or 30, then try to hold on for almost as long as Emmitt did. So far, only two players in history (Barry Sanders and Jim Brown) have ever done the first part, and nobody has even come close to the second part. Who is going to do both?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
dfense;2456700 said:
I always thought LT would end Emmitt's all time rushing mark before his career was over.

I stopped reading right there. I knew he would NEVER break Emmitt's record the second he stepped in the league. What Emmitt did is exceptional, and might not even be broken in our lifetimes.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2457020 said:
I stopped reading right there. I knew he would NEVER break Emmitt's record the second he stepped in the league. What Emmitt did is exceptional, and might not even be broken in our lifetimes.

You say it as thought LT isn't a good player.

I thought LT would have a shot if he stayed healthy.

As far as players who could break Emmitt's record, I don't think you will find a guy more deserving than LT.

LT is a GREAT player and a better person. I hope he has a few more years of good play in him.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2457020 said:

I disagree. How many years passed before Emmitt broke the single season touchdown record? And how many years after before it was broken again? And then again? And yet again? HGH's are a beautiful thing.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2457025 said:
You say it as thought LT isn't a good player.

I thought LT would have a shot if he stayed healthy.

As far as players who could break Emmitt's record, I don't think you will find a guy more deserving than LT.

LT is a GREAT player and a better person. I hope he has a few more years of good play in him.

I love what LT brings to the NFL, but I also did not think he would break Emmitt's rushing record. It is just one of those records that will be difficult to break. Eventually someone will come along and pass Emmitt. It just won't be any time soon. It was only a matter of time before LT started slowing down just like Emmitt did at this same point in his career. As great as he is age and other factors would eventually slow him down. He is going to get close to the record.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2457003 said:
The "first 25 games" thing isn't that important when it comes to Emmitt's record. Emmitt was a 21-year-old rookie. Most players -- including Adrian Peterson -- are at least 22 before the end of their rookie season. Think of Emmitt's first year as a 937-yard bonus to start his career, then his second year as if he was a 22-year-old rookie, like most players (such as Peterson). That "bonus" year makes a big difference on the back end of careers, when running backs start reaching age 29 or 30. That's one of the reasons Emmitt's longevity was so amazing and why his record just might be unreachable (depending on whether the NFL expands seasons to 18 games). He started earlier than most running backs, AND he remained a full-time feature back until a later age than any other running back.

Given how much more productive Emmitt was after age 30 than any other feature back in NFL history, for someone to break his record, they'll almost certainly have to be well ahead of his yardage at the same age when they're 28, 29 or 30, then try to hold on for almost as long as Emmitt did. So far, only two players in history (Barry Sanders and Jim Brown) have ever done the first part, and nobody has even come close to the second part. Who is going to do both?

Oh, I agree. That's why I said it's so scary. I do think that eventually kids will be bigger and faster at a younger age and the league will allow players to come out earlier. And as you said the number of games will likely expand. Huge difference in 18 games and 12. 150%.

But a passing league and multiple featured backs will likely stay and that will make it hard. That and the fact the bigger and faster backs are offset by the bigger and faster defensive players.

It's going to take a unique player and unique circumstances to give someone the chance to do what Emmitt did. Got to be the right talent and size, youth, endurance, resistant to injury, and exact fit club to allow enough carries with the right OL and OC to give someone a chance to do it long enough.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
LT has officially been Norved. His career is sure to crash and burn.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
LT is still top 2 or 3 RB in the league. he has had some injuries that have slowed him this year, but he has not lost a step. as far as catching Emmitt good luck to anyone who wants to try. those top 3 were amazing backs and look how long it took Emmitt to catch Sweetness.:bow: . I don't think nobody will catch Barry much less Sweetness or Emmitt.