Eric Reid Thread **read before posting**

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isnt this the 4th thread on Eric Reid? All keep getting shut down. You can suspend and ban users if you want but these threads all keep ending the same. You can't have a honest conversation on Eric Reid here without it getting shut down.
If you had read the first post you would know I said this thread will not be shut down. It will be monitored and users who ignore the many warnings will be benched for a while.

Sydla

Reaction score
Like guys like Boston over him. I would assume the fo either is comfortable with status quo or they are looking at the draft again. Cause there are some decent safeties out there for cheaper than expected, or last year numbers.

Agreed on Boston but Reid is still better than what we have IMO.

robbieruff

Reaction score
He's an in the box Safety, we need a guy who can cover half the field deep, that's just not his game.
Did u see our safeties tackle last year and whiffs while taking horrible angles? I agree we need a rangy ballhawk to play centerfield but dam our tackling from the safety position last year was an embarrassment - unless you count #38’s uncanny ability to knock his own teammates out the game. Lol.

Section446

Reaction score
Did u see our safeties tackle last year and whiffs while taking horrible angles? I agree we need a rangy ballhawk to play centerfield but dam our tackling from the safety position last year was an embarrassment - unless you count #38’s uncanny ability to knock his own teammates out the game. Lol.
Couldn't agree more, and if we were a 3-4 team, I'd be all over it. Should have just held onto Wilcox if we wanted a Reid type of Safety.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I wish a team, any team, would sign young Mr. Reid so we can stop being told not to talk about him.

Not every player maintains a high level of play for 10 years. Although Reid is only 26, I believe injuries and
just the wear and tear of being an NFL player has robbed him of what once made him special.

Personally, if the FO wishes to add a safety in free agency, Tre Boston seems to be the obvious choice.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I think his skill-set is more suited in the far north...in Canada. I have not seen a game that made me say, "America's Team needs to sign him. " The only thing he has going for him is he played at LSU.

If he had the athleticism as Byron Jones, then he would be off the market. I would go with the older Thomas in a trade with the Hawks or roll the dice during the draft.

Seriously though, if McClay thinks he has talent, he will be on the roster when camp breaks. It is in McClay's court. I just don't think he has enough range or power.

Last edited:

WhizKid

Reaction score
I
I wish a team, any team, would sign young Mr. Reid so we can stop being told not to talk about him.

Not every player maintains a high level of play for 10 years. Although Reid is only 26, I believe injuries and
just the wear and tear of being an NFL player has robbed him of what once made him special.

Personally, if the FO wishes to add a safety in free agency, Tre Boston seems to be the obvious choice.

I have no doubt Reid can play center-fielder in this defense. But I do have worries about his health. He considered retiring at one point already because of head injuries. Reid would have to come in with a friendly deal. Boston should be the target.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'd be willing to sign just about anybody at the safety position. How many years has it been since this has been a position of strength for the Cowboys? Seems like quite awhile.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not know that much about him as a player or even much of the other stuff. When I asked in another thread, a few responded why he was not a good fit here. And they addressed it again in this thread.
About being a box player.

That is good enough for me, I will accept that. We can get a S in the draft, as I like our secondary the way it is, especially with Kris Richard here to coach them. Add a drafted player that fits our scheme and we are set.

Any suggestions other than James in the 1st round that fits our system?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I

I have no doubt Reid can play center-fielder in this defense. But I do have worries about his health. He considered retiring at one point already because of head injuries. Reid would have to come in with a friendly deal. Boston should be the target.
Reid is more of a box guy. Isn't what you want in cover 2.

Boston is that guy and played in a similar scheme, same scheme Earl Thomas plays. Boston just isn't a big run stopper. More of a grab and hold on type when corralling rbs in the open field.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Reid is more of a box guy. Isn't what you want in cover 2.

Boston is that guy and played in a similar scheme, same scheme Earl Thomas plays. Boston just isn't a big run stopper. More of a grab and hold on type when corralling rbs in the open field.

Reid can play in the box and at free safety. He does do one better, for sure. But he is an automatic upgrade at either safety spot. I think he was a pro-bowler as a free safety his rookie year. Granted that was like 5 yrs ago, he should still be able to bring a positive influence into the secondary. With that being said, I do agree that Boston is better. I too, would rather have Boston over Reid, especially given his recent success at the position.

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
As I said in a previous Reid thread, this is what worries me about him:

-Pro Bowler as a rookie, has leveled off since.

-Three concussions in a two year span (I think 2013-14).

-Not sure he's what we want in coverage. I heard he's good in eight man fronts, but haven't heard a lot about his cover skills.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
As I said in a previous Reid thread, this is what worries me about him:

-Pro Bowler as a rookie, has leveled off since.

-Three concussions in a two year span (I think 2013-14).

-Not sure he's what we want in coverage. I heard he's good in eight man fronts, but haven't heard a lot about his cover skills.
Yeah, I think his range isn't quite what you need in cover 1 - single high (edit). I would be afraid he could be another Ken Hamlin.

rags747

Reaction score
Actually, I do not want the Cowboys to sign him because I like the guys we have.

That said, I am also someone who believes in preventing people who don't like a player, especially for agenda-based reasons, from attacking and shutting out those who have different opinions about that player. I may not agree with with one side as a fan, but as the site owner, I am not going to let a few people dictate which players fans are allowed to discuss here.
I did not realize you owned this site, Congratulations. You pic says Staff Member, shouldn't it say owner? Curious as to how you got involved with this, is it profitable and is it your main line of work? Maybe you could provide a little information on what it takes to run a site like this, # of servers etc etc. Many may find these questions a little to personal, but I find it's the only way you learn about things. I am sure others would be interested as well. If it's none of my business I have no problem with that. Congrats again...

robbieruff

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, and if we were a 3-4 team, I'd be all over it. Should have just held onto Wilcox if we wanted a Reid type of Safety.
While I think Reid is more instinctive that Wilcox, I do agree that our need for a centerfielder (In the mold of an ET) would do wonders for our pass D...the good news it seems is we have a soft market for safeties with some pretty quality guys still available (e.g., Boston and Vacarro) who may come cheaper than what was initially thought. While i actually like Woods’ game from what he showed his rookie season, I would like to pair him with someone that’s bigger and an all around skill set. Would allow Xavier to drop down and cover slot when in base D and play to his strengths (versatility). Gonna be interesting to see how his plays out.