News: ESPN: Archer: Why Dak Prescott has become the Cowboys' new Tony Romo

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yep. If you look at their performances you see overall Romo's performances helped the team and Dak's let the team down. Dak primarliy has had better teams and much much better defenses. Romo did play on some good teams, but he elevated his teams. All you have to look at is the teams records with Romo out (4-12 and 3-13) vs with Dak out (5-1).
Look, don't shoot the messenger. But that type of viewpoint is the reason why other fans laugh at us. All they see are two 10-year starting QBs who are chokers and can't get past the second round like everyone other starting QB can. Trying to break down each game on what happened, and which roster had best defenses, etc is almost pointless when you've already had a longer starting career than 95% of NFL QBs.

HMJYay

Reaction score
I'd take Romo 10 times out of 10 in a playoff game over Dak.
There is a reason Romo led the league in 4th quarter comebacks during his tenure and Dak has like like 3 in the last 5 years. One player lifts the team up, the other relies on the team lifting him up. Can you imagine Dak making Laurent Robision a 1000 year receiver? Lol

1942willys

Reaction score
Some people did not watch Ken Anderson play for Cincinnati.

Ken Anderson has made the Pro Football Hall of Fame final list twice without getting in.

I doubt Tony Romo and Dak Prescott's names will ever make it past the second preliminary round of discussions as a player.

Anderson's name should never be mentioned with either Romo or Prescott in my opinion.
Ken Anderson had the misfortune of being in the same division as the Squealers during their best years
He was an excellent QB but not HOF worthy; as burger king put it the Hall of the Very Good.

HMJYay

Reaction score
Look, don't shoot the messenger. But that type of viewpoint is the reason why other fans laugh at us. All they see are two 10-year starting QBs who are chokers and can't get past the second round like everyone other starting QB can. Trying to break down each game on what happened, and which roster had best defenses, etc is almost pointless when you've already had a longer starting career than 95% of NFL QBs.
I'm looking at it primarily from the view point of how each performed in each game. There is a different ways of losing a game. The QB can play good, lift the team and still lose, or the QB can play putrid and not give the team a chance. I agree that comparing who had better defenses probably isn't a good way to do it, but I also content that it does matter. But, I also appreciate your viewpoint on it and it's just my opinion.

zack

Reaction score
Romo didn't play terribly in any of his playoff games. He did play bad against Minnesota in 2009. Played really good against philly in 2009 to get into the playoffs and really good again to beat Philly the next week. Played good against the Giants in 2007, led a 9 minute drive to take the lead before half and the defense let the Giants score in 43 seconds. Hit Patrick Crayton for a wide open touchdown (no one within 30 yards) and Crayton dropped it. Played really good against Detroit is 2014 and had a 143 rating in the cold against Green bay. Dak has played putrid in the majorty of his playoff games. His play cost the team games. Romo's did not. Not the same at all.
Pretty sure that Dak has had a better defense his entire career…

HMJYay

Reaction score
Pretty sure that Dak has had a better defense his entire career…
Maybe not his whole career. That 2020 defense was pretty bad and the equivant of what Romo mostly dealt with. But, Dak got injured and didn't play that year. Lol. The last 3 years Dak has been given defenses that scored a crazy amount of points and a crazy amount of TO's and short fields. It's why his stats are smoke and mirros. It's why against good teams when the defense doens't do it he looks the way he does. It's been the same pattern the last three years.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Romo had a 4:1 TD-int ratio to Daks 2:1 in the post season, and he didnt have the luxury of facing absolute bums in these extra wildcard teams either.
Higher rating too
To me theyre not close, i can agree its not all Daks/Romos fault but i mean this is some clickbaity stuff

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Romo had a 4:1 TD-int ratio to Daks 2:1 in the post season, and he didnt have the luxury of facing absolute bums in these extra wildcard teams either.
Higher rating too
To me theyre not close, i can agree its not all Daks/Romos fault but i mean this is some clickbaity stuff
I threw the ESPN article in as I was writing it. They just happened to publish it at same time and did some easy research for me.

But I started it with the career tables, because I legitimately wanted to know... has a QB ever overcome a start like this? The answer is no.

This is a case book example on why Jerry is a bad GM more than it is why Romo/Dak are bad QBs, or Coach Mac is a bad coach.

This is why your GM should never be your owner. No accountability. We would probably have A LOT of QBs with records like this if everyone had that same patience luxury, but they don't, and they shouldn't.

Object of game is to WIN.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ken Anderson had the misfortune of being in the same division as the Squealers during their best years
He was an excellent QB but not HOF worthy; as burger king put it the Hall of the Very Good.
I agree except for the opinion of Peter King, the same person who also said Chuck Howley and Drew Pearson belonged in the Hall of the Very Good. Peter King can kiss my it is time for my tele-meeting with our corporate manager. Logging off.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak was much better in the playoffs early in his career and has now become Romo his first few years in the playoffs. That’s how I see it. By the time Romo started playing well in the playoffs his body broke down.

Slim_JD

Reaction score
Dak was much better in the playoffs early in his career and has now become Romo his first few years in the playoffs. That’s how I see it. By the time Romo started playing well in the playoffs his body broke down.
Romo played about as well as one could against the monstrous 07 giants Defense that shut down pretty much everybody including the greatest offense of all time in the Super Bowl

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I dont understand why people say they're the same. You can rewatch Romo and Dak and easily see they're not the same.
Only to us. And of course there are Cowboys fans who disagree with that too and think Romo was just as much a choker. But like I put in Reply #19, this is why other fans laugh at us. Instead of admitting we have two 10-year starters that never went past Divisional and were both chokers, we argue their merits and who was better. Most frustrating part to me.

And like I put in Reply #28, it all goes back to the Jerry Jones no accountability culture. It's the same as civic leaders who stay away from the real issues and have us argue the hot button topics. We're here arguing about who played with better defenses, Romo or Dak, when we shouldn't even have to compare these guys to begin with. Should have already been 2-3 NFC Championship games minimum in last 25 years.

Kudos to @GORICO for posting this, but I think it sums up in a nutshell how other fans see us LOL

Last edited:

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dak is almost mirror image of Romo. On that the article is true. Matt Ryan had a similar career before producing the all-time Super Bowl collapse against the Patriots.

Peyton Manning had a close career path too. Easily forgotten. HOWEVER, Manning did make it to an AFC Conference Championship in his 4th season after 3 season of Wild card or Division choke jobs. Adding his Tennessee career, probably best story of someone rebounding from a choker tag to winner greatness.

I don't include guys like Elway and Steve Young who battled it out in quite a few Super Bowls or Conference Championships before getting the monkey off their back. Or even Marino who went to SBs early and never could get back. Dak still isn't in their league.
The difference between Romo and Prescot may not be the playoff games or playoff victories, but Tony for the most part excelled during regular season games against the league's best competition. When Tony faced the beast in the league you knew the Cowboys had a great chance to win those game, whereas Prescot goes MIA in those types of games. This season is a great example of Prescot nutting up against some of the league's best teams. As much as we want Prescot to succeed, it's apparent that he doesn't have the ability to raise his game to the next level. Those 400 hundred against came by way of a GB soft prevent defense because of the Prescot aided lead GB had on the Boys.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Dak played bad. But I don't care what QB was behind center, if your defense gives up 6 tds on 7 or 8 drives...you're not going to win. CeeDee seemed uninterested. No running game and GB knew that. Until we get a running game and better playcalling and better play from Dak, CeeDee...it will be the same results on offense. Dak was a MVP candidate this year. The int to Cooks was poor route running. The pick 6 he threw was just a bad read and shouldn't have been thrown. It's a team loss but the defense was by far worse than the offense. Playing undersized LBs caught up with us. And playing 6 DBs on 47 or 48 of their 54 offensive plays will get you gashed in the run game. So, it's not just Dak. He played great this season, just a bad playoff game. But it was still enough to win had the defense played better

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo played about as well as one could against the monstrous 07 giants Defense that shut down pretty much everybody including the greatest offense of all time in the Super Bowl
He didn’t play well enough. He carved up the Giants in the first 2 games with 8 TDs and a passer rating that was out of this world. Neither he or the team got it done against the Giants in the playoffs. That was the best team we had since the 90s.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is a bigger choker than Romo. He literally has the worst playoff record of any QB with at least 5 playoff starts. That said, the article also mentioned that Manning didn’t see a Super Bowl until his 9th season…… granted he had Brady in his path , but the point is that Dak STILL has the opportunity to re-write his narrative. But he needs a sports psychologist. He just can’t relax and play his game when the pressure and expectations are turned up. It’s all between his ears.

Last edited:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Higher rating too
He also dropped a snap that unfortunately defined his legacy from the outset.