News: ESPN: Archer: Why Dak Prescott has become the Cowboys' new Tony Romo

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can Dak redeem himself? Based on NFL history, not looking good. The ESPN Article quote is wrong. Warren Moon went longer then Ken Anderson as starter without a Super Bowl. Andy Dalton was only long-term QB I could find who never made it past Wild Card.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-tony-romo-playoffs-mike-mccarthy-jerry-jones

Wildcard Round started in 1978. The big difference now vs then is more teams are in WC Round, but fewer teams start in the Divisional Game with a bye week. A lot of the 80's QBs below skipped the WC Round, which helped them get to Conference Championship, but still have 1-1 playoff seasons like Dak.

OUR BOY....

PlayerTeamStarter YearsPlayoff RecordHighest Level
Dak PrescotttCowboys82-5NFC Divisional Game

COWBOYS COMPARISONS....

Danny WhiteCowboys125-5NFC Championship Game
Tony RomoCowboys102-4NFC Divisional Game

LONG-TIME NFL STARTERS WHO NEVER WENT PAST DIVISIONAL GAME

Andy DaltonBengals90-4AFC Wild Card Game
Warren MoonOilers, Vikings, Seahawks143-7AFC Divisional Game

LONG-TIME NFL STARTERS WHO NEVER WENT TO SUPER BOWL, RECORD BEFORE FIRST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

PlayerTeamStarter YearsPlayoff RecordHighest Level Ever
Bernie KosarBrowns10-1Lost AFC vs Broncos
Carson PalmerBengals, Cardinals110-2Lost NFC vs Panthers
Dan FoutsChargers70-1Lost AFC vs Raiders
Vinny TestaverdeBucs, Browns, Jets111-1Lost AFC vs Broncos

NFL STARTERS WHO EVENTUALLY WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL, RECORD BEFORE THE BIG GAME

PlayerTeamStarter YearsPlayoff Record BEFOREFirst SB
Peyton ManningColts83-6Won SB vs Bears
Matt RyanFalcons81-4Lost SB vs Patriots
Matt HasselbeckSeahawks40-2Lost SB vs Steelers
Donovan McNabbEagles55-4Lost SB vs Patriots
Ken AndersonBengals100-2Lost SB vs 49ers

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Go follow another team dude. Your childish acts have become boring and quite boorish.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Iirc that end zone pick was end of the game last play type stuff. That happens esp when you have to get it in the endzone and the D is playing that. I could be wrong but I thought that was the situation or something real close to that. I think Romo as playoff chocker is lazy fans/media narrative tbh. That win and in Washington game was a bad one I’ll give anybody that one. He threw some untimely picks I’ll give people that too but his choking narrative overall has been greatly exaggerated.
Actually both Romo and Dak have excellent numbers in close games and both have/had an exceptional number of go-ahead or game winning drives at the end of games.

But they are Cowboys quarterbacks and the label "choker" will stick unless they win a Super Bowl. It's just the way it is here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo played pretty well considering there were multiple touchdowns that were lost due to receivers either dropping open passes, or quitting on a route. They were also dealing with an injured TO that wasn't close to 100%, and Romo's only turnover was a game ending throw into the end zone.

This year's team was clearly better with 9 All Pros. If the Packers don't win it all like the Giants did, this year is a much bigger failure.
TO may not have been 100% but he still caught 4-49 yards and a TD. Romo only completed 50% of his passes after completing almost 65% during the regular season. His one INT was when the game was on the line. The Cowboys had a first down at the Giants 22. Romo had at least 5 attempts from deep in Giants territory to pull the game out and he threw a pick.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Dak is the new Matthew Stafford.
That's a GREAT one to use, time-wise. There may be some hope after all. But problem is Stafford was #1 pick and STILL got the Lions two first round picks and a third + Goff. Wonder what Dak would fetch?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That’s not how it works my man. Adding extra games to make Romo look worse when the discussion is playoff games is disingenuous junk. Stop that.
Season finale elimination games are exactly like playoff games. Those games were do or die and Romo crapped the bed in two of them.

Gator88

Reaction score
TO may not have been 100% but he still caught 4-49 yards and a TD. Romo only completed 50% of his passes after completing almost 65% during the regular season. His one INT was when the game was on the line. The Cowboys had a first down at the Giants 22. Romo had at least 5 attempts from deep in Giants territory to pull the game out and he threw a pick.
TO having 4 receptions for the game while being single covered the entire second half speaks a lot more to my point.

Romo had to deal with multiple drops and receivers stopping on their routes in key situations, so obviously his completion % is going to take a hit.

His one interception was on 4th down with 16 seconds left and no timeouts, the play after his receiver stopped running on what would have been a game winning touchdown pass.

It is pretty dumb to blame the QB for an interception on more or less a hail mary play to try to win the game, but it doesn't stop people from trying.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Nah my man the article talking about playoff games so all that elimination games you posting is N/A to help Dak. It’s transparent.
Those elimination games with the NFC East on the line prove Dak didn’t choke in as many big games as Romo. Romo had a reputation for choking. The play he’s remembered most for was a bobbled hold on a FG attempt in a playoff game. He was known for the untimely mistake.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TO having 4 receptions for the game while being single covered the entire second half speaks a lot more to my point.

Romo had to deal with multiple drops and receivers stopping on their routes in key situations, so obviously his completion % is going to take a hit.

His one interception was on 4th down with 16 seconds left and no timeouts, the play after his receiver stopped running on what would have been a game winning touchdown pass.

It is pretty dumb to blame the QB for an interception on more or less a hail mary play to try to win the game, but it doesn't stop people from trying.
Not going to waste anymore time arguing this. These Romo debates can go on forever and no one is going to change their opinion.

Gator88

Reaction score
Not going to waste anymore time arguing this. These Romo debates can go on forever and no one is going to change their opinion.
Cool, glad you can admit that Romo's performance against the Giants was better than the majority of Dak's playoff performances.

starfan1

Reaction score
I dont understand why people say they're the same. You can rewatch Romo and Dak and easily see they're not the same.
well if results are tied to the QB like so many on here say they are then they arevery much the same. I dont believe they do but this forum is dead set on blaming dak for everything even when the defense craps the bed or the offense line is crap or the team has a bunch of penalties.

Now in terms of ability Romo played so much better in the playoffs then dak has. regular season id give the edge to dak. regardless they both have been failed by this dipstick owner

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cool, glad you can admit that Romo's performance against the Giants was better than the majority of Dak's playoff performances.
I never said anything remotely close to that. :rolleyes: If you’re going to act like a 12 year old I won’t waste anymore time with you. :thumbup: