News: ESPN: Archer: Why Dak Prescott has become the Cowboys' new Tony Romo

Redline360

Reaction score
Romo played about as well as one could against the monstrous 07 giants Defense that shut down pretty much everybody including the greatest offense of all time in the Super Bowl
And it's a game the cowboys should have dominated. Crayton had a uncontested walk in TD if he didn't stop his route and he also dropped a crucial 1st down pass that was argurably a TD or easy 40+ yard gain

Cowboys should have won that game by 2 scores comfortably but shot themselves in the foot

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak played bad. But I don't care what QB was behind center, if your defense gives up 6 tds on 7 or 8 drives...you're not going to win. CeeDee seemed uninterested. No running game and GB knew that. Until we get a running game and better playcalling and better play from Dak, CeeDee...it will be the same results on offense. Dak was a MVP candidate this year. The int to Cooks was poor route running. The pick 6 he threw was just a bad read and shouldn't have been thrown. It's a team loss but the defense was by far worse than the offense. Playing undersized LBs caught up with us. And playing 6 DBs on 47 or 48 of their 54 offensive plays will get you gashed in the run game. So, it's not just Dak. He played great this season, just a bad playoff game. But it was still enough to win had the defense played better
We understand Dak doesn’t play defense but he still has to do HIS job. If Love is putting up points on the leagues 5th ranked defense, then Dak should be able to respond in kind against the leagues 25th ranked defense …….. Tommy Devito (!) just torched GB and won the NFC player of the week honors. No excuse for Dak to play that poorly regardless of the defensive struggles.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Dak is a bigger choker than Romo. He literally had the worst playoff record of any QB with at least 5 playoff starts. That said, the article also mentioned that Manning didn’t see a Super Bowl until his 9th season…… granted he had Brady in his path , but the point is that Dak STILL has the opportunity to re-write his narrative. But he needs a sports psychologist. He just can’t relax and play his game when the pressure and expectations are turned up. It’s all between his ears.
But Manning (and Matt Ryan) did make it to Conference Championship games much earlier in their careers. Anderson didn't, but like article says, eventually went to the Super Bowl. So really Dak is on par with Warren Moon, Tony Romo and Andy Dalton now as a long-term starter who never passed round two.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Manning (and Matt Ryan) did make it to Conference Championship games much earlier in their careers. Anderson didn't, but like article says, eventually went to the Super Bowl. So really Dak is on par with Warren Moon, Tony Romo and Andy Dalton now as a long-term starter who never passed round two.
Moon played on some baaad teams. It’s a shame he has to be mentioned alongside such pedestrian QBs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak is a bigger choker than Romo. He literally has the worst playoff record of any QB with at least 5 playoff starts.
You either didn’t watch Romo’s career if you honestly believe that or you hate Dak. Romo had 6 INTs and 8 fumbles in elimination/playoff games. His elimination/playoff game record was 2-7.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Putting Dak aside for just a moment, I had no idea Peyton Manning was only 3-6 in the playoffs before his Super Bowl run.

Perception vs. reality at play here. Nobody ever portrayed Manning as a postseason choker even though the raw data could have supported it.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Romo had a 4:1 TD-int ratio to Daks 2:1 in the post season, and he didnt have the luxury of facing absolute bums in these extra wildcard teams either.
Higher rating too
To me theyre not close, i can agree its not all Daks/Romos fault but i mean this is some clickbaity stuff
I agree it’s not all Romo/Dak fault but as pure qbs Romo and Dak aren’t the same.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You either didn’t watch Romo’s career if you honestly believe that or you hate Dak. Romo had 6 INTs and 8 fumbles in elimination/playoff games. His elimination/playoff game record was 2-7.
I tried defending Romo so much back in the day and these numbers made that so difficult.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I agree it’s not all Romo/Dak fault but as pure qbs Romo and Dak aren’t the same.
This is also true. Completely different styles. Romo was the better pure passer for sure but as far as overall success in both the regular season and playoffs their careers are becoming mirror images.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
How so because what playoff games did Romo play like complete junk? I’d say Vikings game but it seemed like he didn’t have time to throw but other than that what games?
I agree. I mean I guess we could say the 2007 Giants playoff game where he was only 18/36 passing and threw an endzone pick at the end with a chance to win. But other than that Romo did not have the kind of stinker Dak had Sunday (until he piled on some garbage time yards and TD's).

Philmonroe

Reaction score
This is also true. Completely different styles. Romo was the better pure passer for sure but as far as overall success in both the regular season and playoffs their careers are becoming mirror images.
I think qbs get too much credit/blame that’s why I don’t care much about their w/l records tbh. Did they play good or not in the games is what I care about because it’s always other factors that contribute to winning and losing most times. Most of us fans are just lazy and say silly things like qb wins like this is a singles sport.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I think qbs get too much credit/blame that’s why I don’t care much about their w/l records tbh. Did they play good or not in the games is what I care about because it’s always other factors that contribute to winning and losing most times. Most of us fans are just lazy and say silly things like qb wins like this is a singles sport.
Agreed. It's not fair but wins and losses get put next to quarterbacks and head coaches and nobody else. Football is a team sport and Sunday's loss should get pinned on every single Cowboy that played or coached in that game. Because not a single one of them did their job (including Dak so the haters don't think I am making excuses for him).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How much does Dak pay you to post this stuff? Adding some extra games to make your hero Dak look better I see.
Those extra games were do or die for the Cowboys with the NFC East on the line. He had 8 turnovers in those 3 games.

Gator88

Reaction score
He didn’t play well enough. He carved up the Giants in the first 2 games with 8 TDs and a passer rating that was out of this world. Neither he or the team got it done against the Giants in the playoffs. That was the best team we had since the 90s.
Romo played pretty well considering there were multiple touchdowns that were lost due to receivers either dropping open passes, or quitting on a route. They were also dealing with an injured TO that wasn't close to 100%, and Romo's only turnover was a game ending throw into the end zone.

This year's team was clearly better with 9 All Pros. If the Packers don't win it all like the Giants did, this year is a much bigger failure.

‐----------

Those extra games were do or die for the Cowboys with the NFC East on the line. He had 8 turnovers in those 3 games.
Why aren't you including the 2017 Seahawks and 2019 Eagles games for Dak if you care about elimination games?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I agree. I mean I guess we could say the 2007 Giants playoff game where he was only 18/36 passing and threw an endzone pick at the end with a chance to win. But other than that Romo did not have the kind of stinker Dak had Sunday (until he piled on some garbage time yards and TD's).
Iirc that end zone pick was end of the game last play type stuff. That happens esp when you have to get it in the endzone and the D is playing that. I could be wrong but I thought that was the situation or something real close to that. I think Romo as playoff chocker is lazy fans/media narrative tbh. That win and in Washington game was a bad one I’ll give anybody that one. He threw some untimely picks I’ll give people that too but his choking narrative overall has been greatly exaggerated.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
We understand Dak doesn’t play defense but he still has to do HIS job. If Love is putting up points on the leagues 5th ranked defense, then Dak should be able to respond in kind against the leagues 25th ranked defense …….. Tommy Devito (!) just torched GB and won the NFC player of the week honors. No excuse for Dak to play that poorly regardless of the defensive struggles.
Dak scored 30 points on offense. He threw two picks but just because the Giants torched them doesn't mean anything. Any team can win any given week. In all sports it's about match ups. Their offense matched up better on our defense. NO COACH expects to win when the defense can't stop the offense that scores almost every time they get the ball. Not only did they score, they used a lot of the clock to do so. If you listened to the game, even the announcers were saying on many plays that there is just no one open. Is that on Dak? I'm not saying Dak played well, cause he didn't. But it's not just his fault on offense. And the defense needs to be held accountable.