ESPN Blog: Weakness in Cowboys' secondary

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was watching Larry Brown on Inside the Cowboys the other night and he felt the CB where playing very well the only problem he sees in the secondary is break downs with the safeties at times.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Our safeties are painfully average. By far the weakest spot on this team.

Imagine for a second two good safeties back there. A bob sanders type. (yes, I know these guys don't grow on trees), how dominating would our defense be? We have an outstanding D line. 2 top notch corners.

Any weakness in the passing game we have is because of our safeties.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CowboyWay;1740375 said:

Imagine for a second two good safeties back there. A bob sanders type. (yes, I know these guys don't grow on trees), how dominating would our defense be? We have an outstanding D line. 2 top notch corners.

Well, for starters, if we had Bob Sanders back there, we'd have a LOT LESS turnovers than Roy creates.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
There are ways to hide a weak link in the secondary, like the one that Dallas has, and the easiest way is to blitz the quarterback more often.

bigbadroy;1740121 said:
who is he referring to? Roy or Hamlin?

I believe the weak link they are referring to is the "safety positions" = BOTH players

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be certain defensive alignments where Ellis will have to drop into short coverage with Westbrook same with Spencer and both present certain mismatches in favor of Philly. I just hope that both guys come up and make the tackle and not allow Westbrook to gain the yards after catch.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CowboyWay;1740375 said:

:rolleyes:

David

JPM

Reaction score
theogt;1740380 said:
Well, for starters, if we had Bob Sanders back there, we'd have a LOT LESS turnovers than Roy creates.
Bob Sanders is a GOD and would fix all our problems. He can play FS and SS at the same time !

silverblue

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1740122 said:
Greg Ellis had to cover Wes Welker against New England.

Oh man, my heart goes into my throat whenever I see number 98 running through the secondary after someone. It usually does not turn out well.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
baj1dallas;1740284 said:
Well it's either him, or Nors.

;D

(apologies for the cheapshot Nors)

Just between you 'n me, I like ol' Nors... I just like jerkin' his chain...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1740300 said:
I was watching Larry Brown on Inside the Cowboys the other night and he felt the CB where playing very well the only problem he sees in the secondary is break downs with the safeties at times.

What's that, Dooms? Is that the Fox Southwest show? Sounds like something I need to check out. I think Brown does a pretty good job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1740546 said:
What's that, Dooms? Is that the Fox Southwest show? Sounds like something I need to check out. I think Brown does a pretty good job.

Yes it is on Fox Southwest. I was surprised because for a while the Houston area was not getting any Cowboy shows on Fox Southwest and just recently I stumbled across it. It comes on Wed at 6:30 pm

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
The secondary is why I don't feel good about sunday's game. And I get so sick of seeing Roy Williams get burnt over and over. What exactly is Roy Paid to do? Chase people?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
SportsAnalyzer;1741303 said:
What exactly is Roy Paid to do?
He is paid to be a SS, not FS, and not CB. He is doing his job, pretty good job as a SS.

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1741315 said:
He is paid to be a SS, not FS, and not CB. He is doing his job, pretty good job as a SS.

Well I usually see him getting burnt, maybe we are talking about a different Roy Williams

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
YoMick;1740272 said:
if we dont pull out the Giants win in week 1 we are 0-2 vs good teams.
The opposite spectrum is, if we pulled out a win against patsies, we are 2-0 vs good teams. ;)