News: ESPN: Cowboys meet with OBJ, discuss 'many options'

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can you give us your positive and your negative points ?

Positive is he would add to the offense the guy has shown over his career excellent rout running, adjusting to the ball and excellent hands. Negative I think the biggest 1 is his health, it is a big troubling that he is not working out for any of these teams. He is asking a lot but teams should know what they are getting. Not concerned with being a so called locker room cancer, I think OBJ has matured from his younger days

Flamma

Reaction score
I would like to see OBJ here I think he would add to this offense, guy is a great rout runner and has good hands. I know I will not be devastated should he not sign here but I see more pluses should he sign with Dallas than negatives.

I agree. But there's one possible huge negative. What if he can't play this year? Then it's pointless. And you can't sign him until he proves that he can play. He hasn't done that yet as far as I know.

rags747

Reaction score
I agree with Fish, sign him at a discounted rate, get him in here now for rehab at the Star, worst case no worse off than today but we have him signed up for next year. Not the best case but he’ll be ready to go next year.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Well . . . let's keep him in mind for next year. I like the idea of not having to draft a WR in 23. But I don't think this is happening in 2022.

I'm ready to see James Waashington working the slot. He'd also be ideal if CeeDee is in the slot.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Positive is he would add to the offense the guy has shown over his career excellent rout running, adjusting to the ball and excellent hands. Negative I think the biggest 1 is his health, it is a big troubling that he is not working out for any of these teams. He is asking a lot but teams should know what they are getting. Not concerned with being a so called locker room cancer, I think OBJ has matured from his younger days

Yes one of the biggest issues right now is his health.

Comming back from a second ACL tear is tough. In his age even more. And even if he makes it you cant expect him to be the same player he was before. You rather expect him to lose at least 2 steps and most of his other physical traits he had.

I was asking because you said your negative points dont outweight your positives. But your positives depend so much on his health. So i am wondering how you come to your conclusion.

His health right now is such an big issue i wouldnt care if he came back and be a young OBJ in his prime. I would not sign him in this situation.

JBond

Reaction score
To the college guru's... What does next years WR group look like heading towards the draft?

Thought being we save drafting a WR until late and continue to build the lines because we have OBJ... or we save a little money and get some additional help at wide out. I believe Zeke and Pollard will be back, so RB is not a real concern, in my opinion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes one of the biggest issues right now is his health.

Comming back from a second ACL tear is tough. In his age even more. And even if he makes it you cant expect him to be the same player he was before. You rather expect him to lose at least 2 steps and most of his other physical traits he had.

I was asking because you said your negative points dont outweight your positives. But your positives depend so much on his health. So i am wondering how you come to your conclusion.

His health right now is such an big issue i wouldnt care if he came back and be a young OBJ in his prime. I would not sign him in this situation.

I think he will come back close to his old self, just a matter of when. You say you can't expect him to be the same player? Yes I can expect him to come back close to his former self. As do most covering this story.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I knew this was going to happen with the media because the Cowboys bring clicks but to say the Cowboys messed up the OBJ deal is over the top. Any player over 30 years old coming off of two ACL injuries in two years is getting a one year minimum salary deal at best but OBJ got his media contacts (Ms. Anderson) putting out crap.

Shannon1

Reaction score
Well . . . let's keep him in mind for next year. I like the idea of not having to draft a WR in 23. But I don't think this is happening in 2022.

I'm ready to see James Waashington working the slot. He'd also be ideal if CeeDee is in the slot.
Everyone is forgetting about Calloway he was a pretty good receiver with the browns

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I think he will come back close to his old self, just a matter of when. You say you can't expect him to be the same player? Yes I can expect him to come back close to his former self. As do most covering this story.

I read and watched different opinions. Especially a second ACL tear is tough. There is not another athlete as an example who was able to recover from that. It would really surprise me if he would come back withoput a significant impact on his physical skills.

But we will see. No reason to argue about something nobody can know right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I read and watched different opinions. Especially a second ACL tear is tough. There is not another athlete as an example who was able to recover from that. It would really surprise me if he would come back withoput a significant impact on his physical skills.

But we will see. No reason to argue about something nobody can know right now.

I was watching a clip from sports doctor on OBJ and he explained and gave reason for a full return.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I was watching a clip from sports doctor on OBJ and he explained and gave reason for a full return.

Did he give examples of athletes who made it back from a second ACL tear ?

TV is full of doctors who talk a lot. Seriously i dont care about your title/degree. Especially in cases where i see people with degrees looking for the spotlight. I see it very critical when you are someone who seems to make his/her living ithru asocial media or TV.

Giving logical reasons is the point. And being able to back them up (sorces for studies etc...). As i demanded in my first sentence: A good starting point would be examples for athletes who were able to make it back to their professional sport (and have a successfull career afterwards) with a to OBJs comparable injury.

Having a degree but then having time for interviews in TV shows to me is more of a sign that the guy is actually bad at or not serious about his actual job.

Reminds me of JJ and SJ: Usually GMs work 24/7 and even the 24 hours a day are not enough to do all of their work. Somehow those Joneses find ways to give interviews half of the day, have their own shows and get drunk every weekend at the games. Still they try to sell us that they are so great at their jobs.

Makes me chuckle...

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Options I am assuming are injury clauses.

Regardless, I am not paying any WR $20 mill a year until they put on the cleats and run a full route tree for me.

No workout, then no money...........case closed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Did he give examples of athletes who made it back from a second ACL tear ?

TV is full of doctors who talk a lot. Seriously i dont care about your title/degree. Especially in cases where i see people with degrees looking for the spotlight. I see it very critical when you are someone who seems to make his/her living ithru asocial media or TV.

Giving logical reasons is the point. And being able to back them up (sorces for studies etc...). As i demanded in my first sentence: A good starting point would be examples for athletes who were able to make it back to their professional sport (and have a successfull career afterwards) with a to OBJs comparable injury.

Having a degree but then having time for interviews in TV shows to me is more of a sign that the guy is actually bad at or not serious about his actual job.

Reminds me of JJ and SJ: Usually GMs work 24/7 and even the 24 hours a day are not enough to do all of their work. Somehow those Joneses find ways to give interviews half of the day, have their own shows and get drunk every weekend at the games. Still they try to sell us that they are so great at their jobs.

Makes me chuckle...

Adrian Peterson for 1. I don't want Dallas just jumping into a contract without safeguards. If this was some unheard of situation with OBJ I seriously doubt this many teams would have an interest in him

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson for 1. I don't want Dallas just jumping into a contract without safeguards. If this was some unheard of situation with OBJ I seriously doubt this many teams would have an interest in him

Thats wrong. Did your source give that info ? Because that was my question: "which sources did your source give to prope what he/she said". If your source gave him as an example i would highly doubt my source in the future. And if he didnt give any i doubt it too. As i said: talk is cheap. Prove your points.

Peterson never had two ACL tears. And of course not in the same knee as OBJ has had. And thats the point here.

To be precise about Peterson:

College:
1. In his first year in college Peterson had an shoulder injury but didnt miss any games
2. In his second year in college he had an ankle sprain.
3. In his third and last year in college he broke his collarbone.

NFL:
1. He tore his ACL and MCL in 2011 (and came back with a 2k+ season in 2012)
2. He had sucessful minimalinvasive surgery on 22.09.2016 to repair a torn miniskus in his knee. During the surgery it was diagnosed that he also had a LCL sprain which didnt need surgery.

After the last surgery Peterson never really made it back. Of course also because of his high age for an RB. He had one more year with 1k+ rushing yards 2 years later. But that was it for him.

Do you know any other athlete who made it back after an injury compareable to OBJs ?

Again. My point is that there is no experience for school medicine with injuries like OBJs for pro athletes. So it is a major risk. And of course from experience with first major ACL/MCL tears it is very very doubtful that OBJ will be able to have all his athletic abilities back after that second surgery. But latter did you state.

So what you said is barely comprehensible ("his injury is a minor point and doesnt outweight the positives" Where all your positive points depend only on the outcome of this surgery).

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

James Washington is not really a slot WR.

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/10/20/steelers-plan-use-james-washington-questionable/

From Steelers media:

"James Washington is certainly tough enough to catch the ball over the middle of the field, but he’s a very average athlete and I don’t think he’s got great change of direction skills or offers nearly as much as Claypool after the catch. Who knows; maybe Hilliard’s plan for this group will work, but the decision to make Washington the slot receiver seems questionable to me."