News: ESPN: Cowboys prefer deal over franchise tag with Dak

garyo1954

Reaction score
Ever think they could be waiting for the new CBA deal to get done? Instead of this whole story youre piecing together in your head?

This article was written in 2014 so the dates change year to year, but the idea is always the same........

The NFL Combine (Feb. 19th to 25th): This is the unofficial start of free agency. This is where I/agents will have many closed-door meetings with teams who have an interest in our free agents. There are also meetings with teams trying to sign back their own free agents. The tricky part of this process for the team (trying to resign their own UFA) is not to set the floor price for the agent to go shop to other teams (which we will).

At a minimum, the agent wants to walk away from the Combine with three or more top teams interested in his UFA(s) and have a good idea of what the market will be for his client.

February 23rd to March 8th: Negotiations between players and their existing club will heat up, if they are interested that is. Agents will press existing teams to step up and get a deal done. Teams aggressively wanting to sign a UFA will start putting numbers on the table and convince the agent to have the player visit them first on March 11th. Some teams will let their own players willingly go into free agency to establish a market. They may sit back and gamble playing “match the market”. Thus, keeping tabs on the player and what other teams are offering then hoping to match it before losing the player. Look for some deals to get done in this time tranche.

March 8th to March 11th: Non-exclusive teams can contact UFAs and their agents and begin negotiating. Players cannot actually visit teams during this time or sign a deal. This is also the period where teams wanting to sign their own players back show their hand and put their best deal on the table.

March 11th through the first five days of free agency: This usually the time where the most sought after UFAs sign with a new club. For agents representing many UFAs they have had the deal done already and are just waiting to make it official. Players also make physical team visits, sometimes lining up as many as five in a row with all teams jockeying to be the first visit. There they may have dinner with the team brass, get a tour of the city, meet the owner, get a physical and/or talk Xs and Os with a coordinator. Teams don’t usually let the player leave the building without signing a new deal.

Beyond March 16th:During the second week of free agency, the second tier level of free agents may start getting some action along with team visits and eventual signings. A few weeks later a third level of UFAs get targeted. These players are usually being sought after by teams offering deals with minimal signing bonuses and are usually near the minimum of the players salary level for his years of service.

(I hate the long quote but it in informational)

https://nationalfootballpost.com/how-nfl-free-agency-really-works-2784/

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was from Sturm.

They offered 34, 6, 90. Goff got 33.7, 4, 110 and that is why we are here they low balled him.

I also heard that they haven't negotiated since September. The hang up is the number of years. Dak doesn't want a 6 year deal.

garyo1954

Reaction score
You have a penchant for stopping reading something. And then letting everyone know you stopped reading.

True. Very true. I find it saves needless argument since it never works when you're trying to discuss an article with someone who hasn't read the article.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Likely story:

They're still trying to work out a deal with Emmitt lol.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Stephen can say all he wants to the media, but no actions have been made to get a deal done. They are not even at the negotiating table right now, meaning a lot can still go sideways.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I also heard that they haven't negotiated since September. The hang up is the number of years. Dak doesn't want a 6 year deal.
Dak wants 4 like Wentz and Goff got, and 90 million guaranteed is way down the list in the top 10. With Mahomes and company about to get new deals no QB wants to be locked up for 6 years and become seriously underpaid in years 3-6. If they'd have come in at 34.5 for 5 years and 115 guaranteed this would have been done a long time ago.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
"Jones said there is no scenario in which the Cowboys would move on from Prescott in 2020."

If Stephen actually said this, we have two of the best backward bargainers in the league running this team. What's the purpose of all this stalling if there is no scenario in which you move on?

You big dummy! You just admitted you're going to cave in to his demands. Call the agent already. Ask him what he wants, sign it, and be done with it.

I don't want them negotiating any hostage releases for me! They'd end up paying the hostage takers after they killed me!
This is hilarious. A fan actually calling one of the best deal makers of all time a dummy. This place is gold for entertainment.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The sides haven't talked since September according to Jones but the media & all it's columnists seem to know everything w/their Tweets/articles. Why some feed into all of this fake news is beyond me.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak wants 4 like Wentz and Goff got, and 90 million guaranteed is way down the list in the top 10. With Mahomes and company about to get new deals no QB wants to be locked up for 6 years and become seriously underpaid in years 3-6. If they'd have come in at 34.5 for 5 years and 115 guaranteed this would have been done a long time ago.

It is not a guarantee Prescott will grow into this contract. We would basically be paying him to be better than he has been. Its 50/50 that we get screwed and he never lives up to it. When folks mention him in the same breath as Mahomes, I just want to laugh.

Qcard

Reaction score
I think it means a lot of excuses on Cowboyszone as to why Dak can’t win anything though..
I might disagree with but I admire your conviction!

Will you eat crow IF Dak is able to play well enough to make it to Championship game?

blindzebra

Reaction score
I think it means a lot of excuses on Cowboyszone as to why Dak can’t win anything though..
40 wins, second only to Brady, 2 divisions titles, one game out the other two...anything sure seems like a word you don't understand.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
40 wins, second only to Brady, 2 divisions titles, one game out the other two...anything sure seems like a word you don't understand.

Yeah regular season wins are nice and all but at the end of the day it hasn’t amounted to squat.

We’ve had some really good teams too..

The coach got fired because it was considered underachieving but with Dak it’s a feather in his cap?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I might disagree with but I admire your conviction!

Will you eat crow IF Dak is able to play well enough to make it to Championship game?

I would love it if he did but odds are against Dallas once he signs that deal.

He’s not a good enough player to elevate the team and needs close to perfection around him.

We won’t provide what all he needs.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak-a-haters...
Screenshot-20200224-200245-Gallery.jpg

:lmao:

blindzebra

Reaction score
Yeah regular season wins are nice and all but at the end of the day it hasn’t amounted to squat.

We’ve had some really good teams too..

The coach got fired because it was considered underachieving but with Dak it’s a feather in his cap?
The coach that did not help fix the D and kept a kicker for 7 weeks because nobody was out there better and then the guy we replace him with did not miss a kick. That coach? The coach that cost us multiple games because he played conservative. That coach? The coach fans have been trying to run off for a decade. That coach?

You should really stop, because you are terrible at making a case for your equally terrible position.