2) can he play LB
3) can he play CB
4) can he play S
5) all of the above

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if we suck at football we can start a rousing game of Footy.

Plankton

Reaction score
I miss McBriar. We needed a thumper again. Hope this guy is that.

If you look at the statistics, McBriar only had two seasons where he had a better net punting average than Jones did last year, and one of them was by less than a yard.

Chris Jones is not the problem with this team.

erod

Reaction score
If you look at the statistics, McBriar only had two seasons where he had a better net punting average than Jones did last year, and one of them was by less than a yard.

Chris Jones is not the problem with this team.

Punt average means nothing.

Jones doesn't get near the hang time that McBriar did, and he isn't close to McBriar in terms of pinning team deep in their own territory.

Plankton

Reaction score
Punt average means nothing.

Jones doesn't get near the hang time that McBriar did, and he isn't close to McBriar in terms of pinning team deep in their own territory.

Net average means everything. It indicates the true nature of the field position change. Jones punted well enough to limit the opposition to 6 yards per return.

He also has a better percentage of touchbacks than McBriar, and McBriar had only two seasons in his career with a better percentage of punts downed inside the 20 (one season, only 0.3 percent better), and only one season in his career with more punts downed inside the 20 than Jones did a year ago. Stats below.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14723/chris-jones

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5096/mat-mcbriar

But, carry on with bashing Jones.

erod

Reaction score
Net average means everything. It indicates the true nature of the field position change. Jones punted well enough to limit the opposition to 6 yards per return.

He also has a better percentage of touchbacks than McBriar, and McBriar had only two seasons in his career with a better percentage of punts downed inside the 20 (one season, only 0.3 percent better), and only one season in his career with more punts downed inside the 20 than Jones did a year ago. Stats below.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14723/chris-jones

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5096/mat-mcbriar

But, carry on with bashing Jones.

Erase the last two seasons of McBriar, when he was trying to play with dropfoot.

Plankton

Reaction score
Erase the last two seasons of McBriar, when he was trying to play with dropfoot.

It doesn't change the fact that your larger point was incorrect. McBriar was a poor directional kicker who didn't limit returns. McBriar was good for booming a kick down the middle of the field that resulted in a huge kick return. Yes, he had terrific gross punting numbers, but his net averages on the whole were not great. I'm not saying that Jones is great, but McBriar was an overrated punter.

erod

Reaction score
It doesn't change the fact that your larger point was incorrect. McBriar was a poor directional kicker who didn't limit returns. McBriar was good for booming a kick down the middle of the field that resulted in a huge kick return. Yes, he had terrific gross punting numbers, but his net averages on the whole were not great. I'm not saying that Jones is great, but McBriar was an overrated punter.

He was one of the best punters in football for several years. Perhaps you didn't watch the games.

Plankton

Reaction score
He was one of the best punters in football for several years. Perhaps you didn't watch the games.

No, I watched the games. I actually understand net punting average, directional punting and setting your coverage up for success.

erod

Reaction score
No, I watched the games. I actually understand net punting average, directional punting and setting your coverage up for success.

Those pro bowls were just a farce then, eh?

Don't be surprised if your prized punter gets beat out by another Aussie.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Then comes the question: were the coverage units of special teams comparable in the seasons being compared?

Plankton

Reaction score
Those pro bowls were just a farce then, eh?

Don't be surprised if your prized punter gets beat out by another Aussie.

You seem to not understand what you're reading.

Nowhere have I said that Chris Jones is a prized punter. All I have said is that he is not the problem with this team. Checking his metrics for last season compared to McBriar's career showed that other than two seasons, he was superior to McBriar in net yards, kicks downed inside the 20, and touchback percentage. McBriar was a far superior gross yardage punter. He also had a bad tendency to kick down the middle of the field, and yield long returns. McBriar is not a good directional punter.

Pro Bowl berths or not.

Plankton

Reaction score
Then comes the question: were the coverage units of special teams comparable in the seasons being compared?

That is not an easily quantifiable question to answer, and would likely result in a subjective answer (was Keith Davis a better special teamer than Danny McCray for example? How about Sam Hurd versus Dwayne Harris?). The special teams coaching is also different, and would need to be considered.

Chappy

Reaction score
Us Aussies are making a mark in the NFL and heaps of our footballers are going to the NFL to try out and have a go.

NFL is massive here in Australia and kicks off right when our local football is ending which is perfect!

pancakeman

Reaction score
That is not an easily quantifiable question to answer, and would likely result in a subjective answer (was Keith Davis a better special teamer than Danny McCray for example? How about Sam Hurd versus Dwayne Harris?). The special teams coaching is also different, and would need to be considered.

Agreed, that's why I threw it out there without committing to an answer either way! ;-)

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Just read on DC.com's Twitter feed that Hornsey's first two punts went 15 and 33 yards and his third was "a beauty".

erod

Reaction score
You seem to not understand what you're reading.

Nowhere have I said that Chris Jones is a prized punter. All I have said is that he is not the problem with this team. Checking his metrics for last season compared to McBriar's career showed that other than two seasons, he was superior to McBriar in net yards, kicks downed inside the 20, and touchback percentage. McBriar was a far superior gross yardage punter. He also had a bad tendency to kick down the middle of the field, and yield long returns. McBriar is not a good directional punter.

Pro Bowl berths or not.

If you know anything about my posts, you know I hate stats. They make Jeff George look like twice the quarterback Troy Aikman was. They mean so little.

And I think punter is a very key position here because this team's defense needs all the help it can get until it matures.