News: ESPN: Dallas Cowboys to sign Aussie punter

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hornsey was the Ray Guy Award winner last season at Memphis and averaged 43.1 yards per punt for his career. He had 75 punts of 50 yards or more and 13 of more than 60 yards, including a career-long 79-yarder.

Impressive.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Come here n say that! ;)
That's it: it's time for this board's First Annual...

BEERFEST!!!!!!!!!

I'm ready and so are my boys...

beerfest.jpg

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. As one of the nation's top punters, it was odd he did not get more than a tryout with the Jets.

Perhaps he had to rehab an injury or something.

It is odd. Last year they had someone named Ryan Quigley (14) and Robert Malone (2) as their punters.

Regarding Hornsey:

College career
Hornsey attended the University of Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee, where he was the starting punter for the Memphis Tigers football team from 2010 to 2013. As a senior in 2013, he had 62 punts for 2,800 yards, an average of 45.32 yards per punt. He was a recognized as consensus first-team All-American, having received first-team honors from the American Football Coaches Association, Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America, and USA Today, and won the Ray Guy Award recognizing him as the best college football punter in the nation. He finished his four-year college career with 297 punts for 12,815 yards, with an average punt of 43.1 yards.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS - Very good leg strength. Catches cleanly and approach is very consistent. Drives the ball for distance and is capable of flipping the field. Very good hang time. Handles pressure and the elements well. Works at his craft. Experienced, four-year starter. Serves as the holder on FGs and PATs.

WEAKNESSES - Very short arms and small hands. Could stand to hasten his delivery and generate better rise -- the ball does not explode off his foot. Accuracy and placement leave room for improvement. Overaged. Very limited tackler.

DRAFT PROJECTION - Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE - A right-footed, two-step, strong-legged Aussie punter who is still learning how to apply his craft, Hornsey showed consistent improvement throughout his career and made his senior season his best. Has upside to earn a job.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It is a little amusing to me when a punting prospect is downgraded because he is overaged at 25. Between punters and kickers, they are usually the oldest players on the field a lot of the time if they are worth anything

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Jones is consistently average. Which, we can get by on and the coaches like the consistency.

But why not find someone who can be a weapon? If special teams are a third of the team, then we need to upgrade the skill positions. Bailey is gold. A punter could really help this defense.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jones is consistently average. Which, we can get by on and the coaches like the consistency.

But why not find someone who can be a weapon? If special teams are a third of the team, then we need to upgrade the skill positions. Bailey is gold. A punter could really help this defense.

With this defense, we should be looking for any advantage we can. You could argue that STs won us a game or two last season if you think about it,

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
With this defense, we should be looking for any advantage we can. You could argue that STs won us a game or two last season if you think about it,

According to Parcells, the quickest way to improve a team is through special teams.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
According to Parcells, the quickest way to improve a team is through special teams.

Even if you have to struggle a little at first. What do you have to lose? I want the best player we can get at every position.

No disrespect to Jones but we can do better.

whynot

Reaction score
That's it: it's time for this board's First Annual...

BEERFEST!!!!!!!!!

I'm ready and so are my boys...

beerfest.jpg

Here's a funny fact - we had a Prime Minister who once held a world record for drinking beer (1 yard in 11 seconds). This is serious business here...

Anyways back OT, the last Australian punter the cowboys had was pretty good until the Cardinals broke him.

reddyuta

Reaction score

nothing to argue,Dwayne harris won us a game single handedly against the skins.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Here's a funny fact - we had a Prime Minister who once held a world record for drinking beer (1 yard in 11 seconds). This is serious business here...

Anyways back OT, the last Australian punter the cowboys had was pretty good until the Cardinals broke him.

I'm a drinker- I have no problem saying it.

No way could I think about matching that. That's a PM I'd vote for, but I always said I'd be first in line to vote for Shatner if he went for PM of Canada...
If I was a citizen, of course... I have a moral.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Agreed. As one of the nation's top punters, it was odd he did not get more than a tryout with the Jets.

Perhaps he had to rehab an injury or something.

Distance is great, but as strange as it sounds, it seems like there's a lot more to it than that. Direction, hang time, accuracy, all go into it as well. You know ST's like to set their coverage up to cover one part of the field. Maybe he wasn't good at kicking directionally. Or maybe he didn't have much hang time and kept outkicking the coverage.