ESPN/FO: Reeves targeted more than any other CB in the NFL

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
by Aaron Schatz, FootballOutsiders.com

Each week, Football Outsiders takes a look at every game with a mix of interesting numbers and in-depth statistical analysis. Football Outsiders stats explained here. (All times Eastern.)

Cowboys at Panthers (Saturday), 8:15 p.m.

According to the Football Outsiders game-charting project, Jacques Reeves has been targeted more often than any other cornerback in the NFL.

In the first quarter of games, Dallas ranks 24th in offensive DVOA and 20th in defensive DVOA. From the second quarter on, Dallas ranks second in offensive DVOA and fifth in defensive DVOA.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Funny how just about any CB you put opposite of TNew becomes the most targeted in the NFL. That has to be the definition of "shutdown" corner.

superpunk

Reaction score
I said a few weeks ago that he might be the worst "starting" CB in the NFL - I think offensive coordinators share the sentiment. Throughout the season, his coverage responsibilities have basically consisted of "Keep your man ten feet in front of you." It's horrible.

Thank goodness for Roy Williams.
theogt;1848298 said:
Funny how just about any CB you put opposite of TNew becomes the most targeted in the NFL. That has to be the definition of "shutdown" corner.
Very good point. I believe Henry was near the top the past two years.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
don't get me started on that guy...I have already been labled as an eternal pessimist or a chicken little....but let me just say this...the strategy of let your man catch and then you tackle him means you are just a guy running around out there...he is a 4th CB at best

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Insert Aaron Schatz-is-a-ridiculous-name joke here.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WoodysGirl;1848296 said:
by Aaron Schatz, FootballOutsiders.com

Each week, Football Outsiders takes a look at every game with a mix of interesting numbers and in-depth statistical analysis. Football Outsiders stats explained here. (All times Eastern.)

Cowboys at Panthers (Saturday), 8:15 p.m.

According to the Football Outsiders game-charting project, Jacques Reeves has been targeted more often than any other cornerback in the NFL.

In the first quarter of games, Dallas ranks 24th in offensive DVOA and 20th in defensive DVOA. From the second quarter on, Dallas ranks second in offensive DVOA and fifth in defensive DVOA.

just...

can't.......

resist!

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v71/Erik_H/Reeves-Stayfree.jpg

TheHerd

Reaction score
theogt;1848298 said:

This is so true. Imagine if we got a real stud over on that side.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Targeted or not , you can't ask much more out of a backup corner . I mean that's what he is afterall .

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Reeves plays off because of the scheme Wade asks them to play. I think Reeves has been a pleasant surprise this season.

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
You guys seem to forget that he has never started prior to this year. Of course, for many of you who want to pat yourselves on the back and exclaim, "I told you so...," this is your perfect opportunity.

khiladi

Reaction score
He is targetted because of a few reasons:

1. Terrance Newman
2. Dallas is stout in the run
3. Dallas gives a lot of underneath passes, i.e soft zone coverage

Overall, Reeves has done an adequate job.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1848350 said:
Reeves plays off because of the scheme Wade asks them to play. I think Reeves has been a pleasant surprise this season.
Reeves plays off because he lacks experience and because he isn't very good in tight coverage and will get burned more times than not.

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
khiladi;1848356 said:
He is targetted because of a few reasons:

1. Terrance Newman
2. Dallas is stout in the run
3. Dallas gives a lot of underneath passes, i.e soft zone coverage

Overall, Reeves has done an adequate job.

Exactly...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1848350 said:

Reeves plays off because one of our defensive priorities is to not give up the big play.

That is the only way he cannot give up the big play. Wade already said press coverage was not one of his strengths.

khiladi

Reaction score
superpunk;1848299 said:
Thank goodness for Roy Williams.

What does Roy Williams have to do with it?

The stat only talks about most targetted CB. I don't think it even takes into account success rate.

An interesting stat seems to be how Dallas ranks in defending the pass after the 2nd quarter. It seems that Wade tries to get a feel for what the defense is going to do and makes adjustments accordingly. I remember Reeves would get attacked early in the game at the beginning of the season. I forget which game, but there was a time he was etting attacked, and he went out to change his cleats and came back performing decently.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1848357 said:
Reeves plays off because he lacks experience and because he isn't very good in tight coverage and will get burned more times than not.

I disagree. Henry plays a mile off as well. Of course the guy is still young but i think he has shown alot of improvement over last year.