ESPN/FO: Reeves targeted more than any other CB in the NFL

khiladi

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1848368 said:
I disagree. Henry plays a mile off as well. Of course the guy is still young but i think he has shown alot of improvement over last year.

It depends on the coverage scheme. When playing soft-zone, the CBs tend to back off. We have been going to more press coverage as of late, because Newman and Henry are getting healthier.

And thank God for that, because our soft-zone sucks. I hate when we go zone against a 3rd and long. This seems to be where teams are successful against Reeves. While, according to Wade, he doesn't get beat long, he isn't that good in press coverage yet. Teams take advantage of him or our MLBs on 3rd and long situations when we go zone.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think Reeves has been a pleasant surprise, he's performed way better than my expectations.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
superpunk;1848299 said:
I said a few weeks ago that he might be the worst "starting" CB in the NFL

He might be the worst starting cornerback out of everyone who has started at least 12 games, like Reeves has. But I'm sure you could find at least a dozen other guys who aren't good enough to keep a starting job or are starting only because of injury (like Reeves).

Considering that we've faced the fifth-most pass attempts and Reeves has been on the field probably 90-95 percent of the time, it's not surprising that he's the most targeted cornerback. Most cornerbacks haven't been on the field for as many passes as he has. A more relevant stat would be the percentage of times targeted in relation to the number of pass plays played.

superpunk

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1848418 said:
He might be the worst starting cornerback out of everyone who has started at least 12 games, like Reeves has. But I'm sure you could find at least a dozen other guys who aren't good enough to keep a starting job or are starting only because of injury (like Reeves).

Considering that we've faced the fifth-most pass attempts and Reeves has been on the field probably 90-95 percent of the time, it's not surprising that he's the most targeted cornerback. Most cornerbacks haven't been on the field for as many passes as he has. A more relevant stat would be the percentage of times targeted in relation to the number of pass plays played.

I don't even think "times targeted" is that decent of a stat. There could be any number of reasons a CB is targeted alot. (Newman plays across from them, their team faces alot of passing plays, etc.) What's more important I guess is what they do when they're targeted. Completion pct. against, and so on.

One thing I did just look at that kind of tells me "SP, you're way off" is our FO rankings for success against #1 and #2 receivers. Top 10 in both categories. Yet we struggle mightily against TEs and backs, and are only average against #3-5 receivers (who might be getting matched up on Reeves when teams go 3-wide against us - I don't know.)

JPM

Reaction score
superpunk;1848394 said:
What doesn't Roy Williams have to do with it?
It's Roy's fault

I'm dreaming of:
cason.jpg

wick

Reaction score
The number of times he is targeted is a measure of offenses' lack of respect. However, it doesn't speak to how he actually performs when targeted, which is clearly the more relevant information.

Reaction score
Yeah I believe Newman is the best pure cover corner out there... I think Bailey gambles better than Newman though.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
superpunk;1848422 said:
I don't even think "times targeted" is that decent of a stat. There could be any number of reasons a CB is targeted alot. (Newman plays across from them, their team faces alot of passing plays, etc.) What's more important I guess is what they do when they're targeted. Completion pct. against, and so on.

I think target percentage (not simple number of times targeted) is relevant as well. Assuming all other things are equal, would you rather have a cornerback who gets thrown at twice per game and allows one catch per game or a guy who gets thrown at 10 times and allows five catches per game?

That's one of the problems with the "metrics" used by K.C. Joyner and Football Outsiders. They don't take into account all of the plays when a cornerback isn't targeted.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
bbailey423;1848301 said:
don't get me started on that guy...I have already been labled as an eternal pessimist or a chicken little....but let me just say this...the strategy of let your man catch and then you tackle him means you are just a guy running around out there...he is a 4th CB at best

Didn't think a Reeves thread would turn into this, but............

Reeves is the second best corner on the Cowboys, when TNew or Henry is sitting on the bench. Both have spent time there this year. Reeves is targeted because, 1), the opponent has to pass to catch up, and Reeves is second best on the field, 2), Reeves has to play soft because he can't be sure there is a safety behind him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
For a #3 guy who has had to play as a #2 way too much he has done OK.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1848368 said:
I disagree. Henry plays a mile off as well.
Henry has played lot of press coverage and plays off the receivers as well, whereas, Reeves rarely ever setup for press coverage.
Of course the guy is still young but i think he has shown alot of improvement over last year.
I'm not saying he hasn't improved nor is a horrible CB. All I'm saying he still need lot of on-field experience and learn to make plays in press coverage. He has done pretty decent job filling in for both starters.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1848511 said:
Henry has played lot of press coverage and plays off the receivers as well, whereas, Reeves rarely ever setup for press coverage.
Henry played almost exclusively press coverage against Philadelphia. He looked really good too. Wade has stated several times that having Reeves instead of Henry forces us to play different coverages.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;1848300 said:
Cue Educan22...

Seeing as how he was active on this board fifteen minutes ago, I'm going to guess he either can't:

1. Give as good as he gets. (see daily zone)

or..

2. Get his nose out of Reeve's arse long enough to look at his monitor.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tomson75;1848522 said:
Seeing as how he was active on this board fifteen minutes ago, I'm going to guess he either can't:

1. Give as good as he gets. (see daily zone)

or..

2. Get his nose out of Reeve's arse long enough to look at his monitor.

:lmao2: