News: ESPN: If the price is right, Cowboys should keep Sean Lee

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You know.....A question just came to me. Was all of this worth it for Lee? Never healthy.....when he was though he was great. We were sold we were getting a first round talent with him and we did but never healthy. I guess thankfully he was a second rounder and he lived up to that.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Love the player but he simply can't stay healthy enough at his current salary. He'd have to take a huge pay it and backup role, doubt he wants either.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sean Lee should not want to be a NFL starter anymore.

The smart move would be a backup in Dallas and better his chances of staying healthy with less playing time.
Lee has fully embraced Jaylon and LVE. It sounds like he's taken a lot of pride tutoring those guys and Lee's not a big ego guy--just a person who takes pride in his work.
Not out of the question that he takes a lessor renegotiated cap- friendlier deal with incentives.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Sean Lee should not want to be a NFL starter anymore.

The smart move would be a backup in Dallas and better his chances of staying healthy with less playing time.
Agreed, and doing so @ backup prices.... he isn't worth what he's getting now. So, save some $$ and either he stays in a BU capacity with less $$, or cut him/trade him. Most likely the first as I'm not sre we could get a decent draft choice for him at this point. And that is not knocking Lee or what he brought us on D, he is just a glass doll any longer.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You know.....A question just came to me. Was all of this worth it for Lee? Never healthy.....when he was though he was great. We were sold we were getting a first round talent with him and we did but never healthy. I guess thankfully he was a second rounder and he lived up to that.
93 games....77 starts at a Pro Bowl level...... easily worth a 2nd pick

the extension at 6/42m is almost break even because it contained a lot of incentives he didn't reach but when he did reach them he earned them

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Lee has fully embraced Jaylon and LVE. It sounds like he's taken a lot of pride tutoring those guys and Lee's not a big ego guy--just a person who takes pride in his work.
Not out of the question that he takes a lessor renegotiated cap- friendlier deal with incentives.
They did it with Witten..... they extended him but lowered his base and raised his incentives

Basically a contract for life

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He'll go to Pitt and play 6 games...LOL! I love him to death but it's time for a reality check.
That's why I'd rather keep him here, get him in for 15-25 plays a game and let him fill in when Jaylon or LVE get banged up. Great mentor too and at a reduced rate.

silver

Reaction score
This guy looks like he's done. It used to be that he would come back from injury and be an asset to the team but to me this wasn't the case last season. Maybe he could stick around as a coach, but not a player.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We're debating this and want to go out and sign a 31 year old FA S coming off 2 leg breaks in 3 years? If I want a player on my team who mentors the young players it's Sean Lee not some dude who who sees Leveon Bell as a hero. Rework Lee's contract and let him play a reduced roll in 2019. We should have done that with Witt while steadfastly sticking with him playing 90% of the snaps. If Lee can't accept that, move on. I'd be a heartless some beech GM

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Sean Lee is 6'2" and 245.
Last year's staring SAM was Damien Wilson is 6'0" 245.

Fragile? We all know that. But anything Damien Wilson can do, Sean Lee can do better.

My only memory of Wilson in 2018 was him trying to chase down a TE (Vernon Davis I think) who torched him for a 40 yard TD. Yep, Sean Lee can do that

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He can't play SAM..... he is too small and fragile

He was moved to WILL years ago to protect him

Backup LBs need to play STs and that will be a problem

I would cut his salary down to 2m and let him try to earn his job back

Yep... and I think Lee would rather leave than play for $2 mil.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We're debating this and want to go out and sign a 31 year old FA S coming off 2 leg breaks in 3 years? If I want a player on my team who mentors the young players it's Sean Lee not some dude who who sees Leveon Bell as a hero. Rework Lee's contract and let him play a reduced roll in 2019. We should have done that with Witt while steadfastly sticking with him playing 90% of the snaps. If Lee can't accept that, move on. I'd be a heartless some beech GM
:) Have you ever been to the dentist? Then what are you talking about?