ESPN Insider: 2018 NFL QB Tiers - 50 execs rank starting QBs

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Heh there were people (including me, sadly) who thought Prescott was a better fit for this franchise than Tony Romo after that 13-3 season.

Dak has started two full seasons and is 22-10. He had a 13-3 season as a rookie, with one of the two greatest NFL rookie QB seasons in league history. He won 9 last year on a team that suffered through turmoil with Oline injuries and the Elliott debacle. He played extremely well in his one playoff game. The two I mentioned have done absolutely NOTHING in the league. If you don't see a huge difference there, I don't know what to tell you.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dak has started two full seasons and is 22-10. He had a 13-3 season as a rookie, with one of the two greatest NFL rookie QB seasons in league history. He won 9 last year on a team that suffered through turmoil with Oline injuries and the Elliott debacle. He played extremely well in his one playoff game. The two I mentioned have done absolutely NOTHING in the league. If you don't see a huge difference there, I don't know what to tell you.

Hey I get it, I think he's our next franchise QB and the fact that we stole him in the 4th round as the 8th QB off the board boggles my mind. I remember thinking he was a 2nd-3rd round talent, that DUI must've really scared teams who didn't do their due diligence.

kento40

Reaction score
Dak is tier 3, no doubt about it. The proof is right there in his game and the explanation. When Zeke went on suspension and teams no longer had to game plan for him, the pressure was solely on Dak and the receivers. What happened? He folded like a house of cards and that's not slighting him, no one with any sense expected him to be Brady, Brees or Rodgers, but let's not try to get around what we saw last season. Like that one guy said, "Dak is not the MVP of that team, Zeke is." The non blind ones of us know it, the rest of the league knows it, so why is there a debate?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The large movement from year to year indicate these prognosticators aren't doing a very good job.

Wentz was VERY GOOD last year but he also had the best OL and running game in the NFL. That's the very definition of tier 3.

So perhaps the tier definitions are what is mightily flawed.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dak is tier 3, no doubt about it. The proof is right there in his game and the explanation. When Zeke went on suspension and teams no longer had to game plan for him, the pressure was solely on Dak and the receivers. What happened? He folded like a house of cards and that's not slighting him, no one with any sense expected him to be Brady, Brees or Rodgers, but let's not try to get around what we saw last season. Like that one guy said, "Dak is not the MVP of that team, Zeke is." The non blind ones of us know it, the rest of the league knows it, so why is there a debate?

Dude, Prescott is probably a borderline franchise QB. Even if all he ever is is a really good starter who minimizes turn-overs and is a threat to score with his legs, he was an absolute steal in the 4th round. Yes we have to build up the rest of the team around him but that's true of pretty much every single team. Even Brees, A-Rod and Brady can't do it without at least some help.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak was also lacking his LT for and in general lacked decent blocking the final half of the season.
Dak with his 5 starting OL had a very good QBR.
Losing his LT effected him more mightily than anything to do with Zeke.

InTheZone

Reaction score
The fanfare for Watson and Garoppolo after only a handful of starts is ridiculous.
Same happened with Dak. But what I'm seeing from those other two are pinpoint passes, throwing a wr open in tight coverage, and keeping your eyes down field when you're moving around. They

kento40

Reaction score
Dude, Prescott is probably a borderline franchise QB. Even if all he ever is is a really good starter who minimizes turn-overs and is a threat to score with his legs, he was an absolute steal in the 4th round. Yes we have to build up the rest of the team around him but that's true of pretty much every single team. Even Brees, A-Rod and Brady can't do it without at least some help.

Hey, you can give him whatever title you want to. When I look at the criteria stated and take a look at how he performed without Zeke, I don't see any room for Debate. As for Wentz being in Tier 2, he had just as many key injuries on his team and still ran laps around Dak in terms of performance last season. I won't say Dak needs a great D, because in his rookie year, he didn't have one, our offensive efficiency and our massive run game gave the defense time to breathe and they performed adequately because of that, but given the only tangible data we have of him without a solid rb has him looking like a career backup, I have to agree with the article.

Batman1980

Reaction score
The article didn't say he was a career backup, the article said he's a decent starter that needs help to win. Which so far, is accurate and a lot of us, including me, hope we've improved enough tp see him take us further than he did in 2016. Right now this bus is being driven by Dak and all we can hope for is he plays as well as possible.

kento40

Reaction score
Dak was also lacking his LT for and in general lacked decent blocking the final half of the season.
Dak with his 5 starting OL had a very good QBR.
Losing his LT effected him more mightily than anything to do with Zeke.
Wentz lost his LT, one of the best, if not the best in the game and his starting rb, K and still did way better. That's why he's in tier 2 and not tier 3.

kento40

Reaction score
The article didn't say he was a career backup, the article said he's a decent starter that needs help to win. Which so far, is accurate and a lot of us, including me, hope we've improved enough tp see him take us further than he did in 2016. Right now this bus is being driven by Dak and all we can hope for is he plays as well as possible.
I said his performance last season was that of a career backup. I know the article didn't state he was. Tier 3 isn't even that bad, why all the blowback?

Batman1980

Reaction score
I said his performance last season was that of a career backup. I know the article didn't state he was. Tier 3 isn't even that bad, why all the blowback?

Being starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys is like being short stop for the Yankees or 2 guard for the Lakers. It puts you in a spotlight few other athletes have to endure. Tier 3 is about what we could hope for for a 4th round pick but of course all of us hope he can grow into tier 2.

glimmerman

Reaction score
IMHO it’s hard to rank these QB that have only played a few seasons. Dak has a winning record through his first 2. Seems the QBs that they are ranking tops have been in the league with winning records for a while.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Went had a okay rookie season, stellar second season. Dak had an all-time great rookie season, subpar second season. It's all about what you've done for me lately.

I do think Dak will bounce back this year; not forcing the ball to Dez just to suffice him will help immensely IMO.

Yep. I agree. It's about the trend and Wentz is looking better on the trend.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The fanfare for Watson and Garoppolo after only a handful of starts is ridiculous.

I agree with this as well. I don't think Garoppolo is going to be as great as people think he will. He became a free agent on a QB-needy at just the right time and is financially set either way but I don't think he'll wind up being worth the deal.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I agree with this as well. I don't think Garoppolo is going to be as great as people think he will. He became a free agent on a QB-needy at just the right time and is financially set either way but I don't think he'll wind up being worth the deal.

There have been maybe 10 QBs in the history of the NFL that would be worth that kind of cash. 2 of them are playing right now, Brees might be a third. I have severe doubts Jimmy G will ever be a top 10 all-time QB.

Batman1980

Reaction score
But one trended up the other one trended down.

You mean the #2 overall pick in the draft that starts for the Super Bowl champions has better outlook right now than the 4th round pick coming off a down season and a 9-7 record? I'm shocked. I think I need to sit down.