ESPN Insider: Mel Kiper Jr: Top 5 seniors by position

JonCJG

Reaction score
BigWillie;1060044 said:
The one guy who is the most intriguing on that entire list is Amobi Okoye.

Remember, he is only a 19 year old senior. When he came from Nigeria, he tested as a 9th grader, even though he was 12 years old. All of his life, he has played against older and more mature competition, and excelled. So really, he hasn't even matured into his body physically yet, which is quite scary.

That is some great info. This kid, who can't even drink yet, is 6 foot 2 315 lbs. Scary.

Never seen him play though.... anyone who has think he would fit in here at NT?

Gordon

Reaction score
theogt;1060131 said:
See? This is what I mean. This is ridiculous. I've already said in this thread that I'm somewhat of an Irish fan. If you watched that game he was uncomfortable and inaccurate for the most part.

You're right, I read that and forgot about it..

I just don't see how you can hold a couple of 3 and outs against him when he had a fantastic comeback. I agree though, he was miserable in the 1st half.

Sidenote: Charlie didn't really give Brady a chance that drive, only 1 pass. But I'll take the TD :)

Rush 2112

Reaction score
fortdick;1059808 said:
So, which one will Parcells draft?

The one from NJ or the one at ND not listed (John Carlson).

1st year starter as a Senior, very underrated, knows our terminology and system and can attack the deep seam.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
KD;1060132 said:
That is some great info. This kid, who can't even drink yet, is 6 foot 2 315 lbs. Scary.

go wolverines!

Rush 2112

Reaction score
KD;1060132 said:

People comparing him to Wilfork.

All that talk will be squashed if he shows up at 6-0/300

BigWillie

Reaction score
Rush 2112;1060163 said:
People comparing him to Wilfork.

All that talk will be squashed if he shows up at 6-0/300

How will that even matter? At 19, your body isn't even done growing yet. I've seen people growing 6-7 inches while their were in college. Technically, he should be a freshman, or RS freshman in college right now if we are just going age based.

The guy still has room to get ALOT stronger physically and mentally, while growing into his body even more.

The thing that is even more scary in it all ... he's performed well even being so young all his career.

JPM

Reaction score
silverbear;1059812 said:
Him, or Kyle Young... Blalock is the best Texas offensive lineman in a long, long time, while Young is the best center prospect in the last 5-10 years... he's big enough to go head up with your average everyday 350 pound NT...

Young is a stud, best center I have seen in a long time.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
BigWillie;1060174 said:
How will that even matter? At 19, your body isn't even done growing yet. I've seen people growing 6-7 inches while their were in college. Technically, he should be a freshman, or RS freshman in college right now if we are just going age based.

The guy still has room to get ALOT stronger physically and mentally, while growing into his body even more.

The thing that is even more scary in it all ... he's performed well even being so young all his career.

Personally, I hope the guy shows up at 6-2/315.

I've been following him for a year + now.

Guys listed at 6-1/317 usually aren't.

He's not going to grow 6-7 inches.

2 would probably be ideal.

History isn't kind to 6 foot and under NT's.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gordon;1059870 said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex?pollId=null&weekNumber=5&seasonYear=2006

Week 1 - GT had the 4th most votes outside the Top 25, so they were basically #29
Week 2 - #19 Penn State
Week 3 - #11 Michigan
Week 4 - MSU had the 5th most votes outside the Top 25, so they were basically #30

Like I said though, your point still stands, because those aren't exactly 1AA or Sun Belt teams.
I missed this post before.

Georgia Tech is #24 right now. MSU was ranked in one poll at the time they played. They were unbeaten. Now they look fragile since the 4th quarter of that game. They lost to Illinois badly.

Purdue was undefeated coming into today, but it doesn't look like that will continue.

Quinn must be doing something right. He's about to be 4-1 against teams who after today will be a combined 19-6 after today's games. If that isn't good enough then nothign he could do would be.

I suspect the pro scouts will disagree with his detractors. Oh, but that just means they buy into the hype.

;)

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Selvin Young is on that list? I'm a UT homer and all, but I never saw that guy as being a very good NFL prospect. Charles will be a stud IMO, maybe that's my bias because I used to be a hurdler though.

dallasfan31

Reaction score
troy smith is big time he under size. but i think he going play in the nfl anyone else think so.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dallasfan31;1060242 said:
troy smith is big time he under size. but i think he going play in the nfl anyone else think so.
I think he can, but I doubt as a starting NFL QB. I don't think he's even 6 feet tall. Drew Tate of Iowa either. I admire their toughness and talent, but wonder how far it can take them.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tomson75;1060209 said:
And they're taking it to #11 Virginia Tech.
In their house no less.

Calvin Johnson is an amazing talent. Even when the ball isn't thrown to him the Defense has to adjust.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;1060255 said:
2 OL, a WR and a NT in the first 4 rounds, in any order.....
QB in the 1st, OL the rest of day 1, unless a great WR is available.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Hostile;1060258 said:
QB in the 1st, OL the rest of day 1, unless a great WR is available.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I made my picks under the assumption that Romo is our guy at QB for at least a few years. If for whatever reason he's not, then yeah, I'd agree with your picks...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;1060267 said:
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I made my picks under the assumption that Romo is our guy at QB for at least a few years. If for whatever reason he's not, then yeah, I'd agree with your picks...
I don't see how we can assume he is at this point.

I'm ready to go back to what has worked for this organization. Draft a stud QB early and get him ready.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Drafting a stud QB in the 1st rd would certainly make Draft Day exciting for me. We drafted Troy in 1989......it's past time we draft a QB early.