Twitter: ESPN Insiders rank Garrett 30th out of 32 coaches

Coy

Reaction score

30. Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys (3.67 average)
It was tough for voters to give Garrett a high grade based on on-field results, but there was also a pervasive feeling that any coach would struggle to succeed in Dallas given owner Jerry Jones' leadership style and decision-making. Multiple voters thought Jones was the one responsible for the disastrous change from Rob Ryan to Monte Kiffin at defensive coordinator, for example. "Tough place, tough everything," said a longtime executive with a background in multiple organizations. "Garrett is a smart guy, but he doesn't reach everybody."

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More useless garbage from BSPN.
I don't care if he's rank 30th, or if he was ranked 10th. These mean nothing to me.
Of course we would like it more if ranked higher, but it still doesn't do much for me.

Garrett is #1 on my list, because he coaches the team that I root for. That's all I need.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Just another example of stupidity. First off, with a 29-27 record you can't be 30 of 32. Factor in the horrendous number of injuries and his rating would rise even higher. Factor in losing Romo for the deciding game for the division crown, and the worst defense perhaps in Cowboys history, and to finish 8-8 and one drive away from the division title was almost unbelievable. Bottom line, whether you are talking about Garrett, or Romo, or the entire Cowboys organization, you will get no respect unless you change it with results on the field. Plain and simple. None of us can cry about it. Until our favorite team forces a change in perception (ala the 90's Cowboys), the Cowboys remain the favorite team for everyone to dog.

Staubacher

Reaction score
This is Garrett's make or break year. Sure, last year should have been, but you see it in his face now.

Not sure what he even does now since we have a stable of veteran assistant coaches who do all the offense and defense heavy lifting.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dang, what happened to our complete fall from grace? I feel a little cheapened by all of this...with the Cowboys clearly in every one's sights for every imaginable short coming...what happened?

DiResta

Reaction score
This is Garrett's make or break year.
Not really. everybody knows the defense has little star power and is very young. it will be very hard to get above 8-8 this year and I dont care what past records were. this is a very hartd schedule with a defense that will have to take the ball away to win.

reddyuta

Reaction score
he should last,sometimes i feel he has no idea what he is doing especially at crunch times.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Just another example of stupidity. First off, with a 29-27 record you can't be 30 of 32. Factor in the horrendous number of injuries and his rating would rise even higher. Factor in losing Romo for the deciding game for the division crown, and the worst defense perhaps in Cowboys history, and to finish 8-8 and one drive away from the division title was almost unbelievable. Bottom line, whether you are talking about Garrett, or Romo, or the entire Cowboys organization, you will get no respect unless you change it with results on the field. Plain and simple. None of us can cry about it. Until our favorite team forces a change in perception (ala the 90's Cowboys), the Cowboys remain the favorite team for everyone to dog.

I'm sure you went over every other coach and factored all those similar sorts of handicaps in for them as well.

Jason is a fine leader, but he's not a good coach. He's had plenty of time to prove otherwise, and has yet to do so.

WE root for the guy because we're Cowboy fans, but if he coached any other team - this board would be full of people saying he's a bum.