Twitter: ESPN Insiders rank Garrett 30th out of 32 coaches

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I think if he had a better gm and fo to work with he would be a better coach. I don't think he is that low.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if he had a better gm and fo to work with he would be a better coach. I don't think he is that low.

Of course he would. Who wouldn't?

Jim Harbaugh's a great coach, right?

He would flop large here in Dallas. Be labeled a bum and cast aside within 4 years.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
30. Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys (3.67 average)
It was tough for voters to give Garrett a high grade based on on-field results, but there was also a pervasive feeling that any coach would struggle to succeed in Dallas given owner Jerry Jones' leadership style and decision-making. Multiple voters thought Jones was the one responsible for the disastrous change from Rob Ryan to Monte Kiffin at defensive coordinator, for example. "Tough place, tough everything," said a longtime executive with a background in multiple organizations. "Garrett is a smart guy, but he doesn't reach everybody."
I'm not going to lie. That's me they're quoting. Good old DallasEast. Yes sir, I feel safe knowing ESPN will not reveal my identity. My comments about Jason Garrett are so devastating, someone might take offense to them and send me life threatening emails filled with hahahas and lols.

The use of unnamed source instead of a name for non-stories is pathetic.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Harbaugh comes with more gravitas and would be able to change the operating model. Parcells changed things

Parcells had the stroke to demand some authority when he got hired. As we now know, Jerry had to have him for his stadium. You don't get Bill Parcells and treat him like Dave Campo.

Harbaugh was a wet behind the ears college coach. He'd have taken this gig with the enthusiasm of Jason Garrett and immediately emasculated just like him.

wileedog

Reaction score
Factor in losing Romo for the deciding game for the division crown, and the worst defense perhaps in Cowboys history, and to finish 8-8 and one drive away from the division title was almost unbelievable. .

Yeah, unbelievable how bad our division is. He pulled off that 8-8 by going 5-1 against the division, 3-7 against everyone else. His 4-20 record against .500 or better teams is abysmal considering he has a .500 team himself. He should have won more of those games just by accident.

Do I think he is hampered by Jerry? Absolutely. I think the calamitous Kiffin and the Tampa 2 switch was all Jerry, and that is the biggest thing that will probably kill Jason's season and perhaps career here. In fact I think he will get another coordinator job once he leaves here, because as the article says most of the industry seems to understand that he is set up to fail here with the Jones Boys.

But coaches who make multiple, almost unfathomably bad game decisions every season that cost the team games deserve to be ranked toward the bottom. Jerry has nothing to do with those.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I think Harbaugh comes with more gravitas and would be able to change the operating model. Parcells changed things

He would most likely be gone after 4 yrs as Risen said, but maybe in his Process we win something before he's gone.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie. That's me they're quoting. Good old DallasEast. Yes sir, I feel safe knowing ESPN will not reveal my identity. My comments about Jason Garrett are so devastating, someone might take offense to them and send me life threatening emails filled with hahahas and lols.

The use of unnamed source instead of a name for non-stories is pathetic.

Hey wait, I thought I was the one that said that?

pgreptom

Reaction score
I guess you could side me with the anti-Garrett crowd. It's not that I'm excited to see him go as his replacement will just be another clown. But... I can dream.

Coy

Reaction score
He should be rated 16th.. 8+8+8= middle of the road

Not all teams that have finished with worse records had stars like Romo, Dez, Witten, Murray, Tyron, Ware, Lee, Spencer etc. that´s why Garrett is held to a higher standard, as he should be, saying that, I don´t agree with the ranking, I´d have him in the 20 to 25 range because I really do think he is a good talent evaluator, it´s just that he is a lousy game day HC IMO.

Anyway, this is a new year, maybe Garrett can shut us boubters and BSPN up, at least I hope he does.

Last edited: