Video: ESPN: Is McCarthy's job at risk after Cowboys' loss?

cern

Reaction score
not for the remainder of this season. but i'd be discussing it behind closed doors as to whether or not to let him go after the season. it just isn't working. every coach has had to work with the circumstances of this year. the washington team has gone thru two starting qb's and is improving weekly. rivera even had to battle cancer. he is clearly better than mac. judge in ny has the giants on a bit of a roll. smashing watermelons is a cute story. but our defense looked totally lost yesterday. they didn't know where to line up. gregory takes a rolling dive to get off the field to prevent 12 men on field penalty, but then is sent right back out for the play. a good hc would have already fired nolan as the dc.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, no.

Jerry Jones gave Dave Campo three seasons. Chan Gailey got two seasons. On the other end of the spectrum, he stuck with Jason Garrett for ten seasons.

...but he will give up on Mike McCarthy, who has a Super Bowl championship on his resume, after a single season?

McCarthy is not Tony Banks. This is another example of ESPN either hyping their ignorance of Jerry Jones or stoking their audience.

Big_D

Reaction score
How can it not be? Stupid coaching for 11 games now.. really really stupid!! Went from no gambles to way too many gambles and looking ridiculous doing it. Smart, fundamental game management doesn't exist here. I thought McCarthy could bring that.. apparently he can't and won't since he never actually learns a lesson with these fakes. He blew past stupid a while ago!

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Jerry says he has his man. It's the only thing he says that you can bank on, because he is just that dumb. MM isn't taking us to a SB, injuries or no, so however long he will be here is just wasted time, but Jerry has proven he's willing to waste time, and lots of it. MM deserves to be fired for the fake punt call alone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Good grief. No, it's not at risk in the slightest in his very first injury-plauged year of an expensive contract.

I agree it’s not at risk but it should be.

What does all of these big picture excuses for him have to do with the moronic in game coaching decisions we have seen since Game 1?

I wouldn’t waste another season with him but I also didn’t like the hire to begin with.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry says he has his man. It's the only thing he says that you can bank on, because he is just that dumb. MM isn't taking us to a SB, injuries or no, so however long he will be here is just wasted time, but Jerry has proven he's willing to waste time, and lots of it. MM deserves to be fired for the fake punt call alone.

He deserves to be fired for every single dumazz fake he ran this year!! Unreal how they keep piling up. How anyone can defend it at this point must have never watched real football. This ain't it. It's a gag reel. And a sad one!! Be nice to see a smart coach here for once. I was way off cause I though MM could be that guy?

Flamma

Reaction score
Should they have fired Jimmy Johnson after 1990? Two seasons with a combined record of 8-24. Not exactly impressive.

I had a lukewarm response to the BigMac hiring. But he's coaching a team without a full deck. The team stinks. The coaching staff are calling stupid plays out of desperation to compensate. They're doing all of this crap because as the game progresses they can read the tea leaves. The truth is in many games we're not on an even playing field. Sometimes that becomes evident as the game progresses. That's why we see all of the stupid fake punts, trick plays, and WR screens. They're trying to make up ground because they're being dominated on both sides of the LOS.

That said, I'm still not impressed with BigMac.

Cmac

Reaction score
JJ is pondering pay a man with 4 years left on his contract, and get KMoore the HC job ASAP.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good grief. No, it's not at risk in the slightest in his very first injury-plauged year of an expensive contract.

+1 .......Damn people, you honestly think Jerry's going to eat 4 years left on a contract? MM will get a min 2 more years....

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
JJ needs to have a respectful but stern talk with fat Mike, the coaching has been completely unacceptable this season even with the injuries.....Now if only someone could talk to JJ about his GM issues.....

cern

Reaction score
we've become known as a gimmick play team and everyone is looking for those plays now. we're not catching anyone by surprise anymore. and it was hard not to notice wft ran a few of their own just to throw it in our faces. the difference is their plays worked.

Big_D

Reaction score
Should they have fired Jimmy Johnson after 1990? Two seasons with a combined record of 8-24. Not exactly impressive.

I had a lukewarm response to the BigMac hiring. But he's coaching a team without a full deck. The team stinks. The coaching staff are calling stupid plays out of desperation to compensate. They're doing all of this crap because as the game progresses they can read the tea leaves. The truth is in many games we're not on an even playing field. Sometimes that becomes evident as the game progresses. That's why we see all of the stupid fake punts, trick plays, and WR screens. They're trying to make up ground because they're being dominated on both sides of the LOS.

That said, I'm still not impressed with BigMac.

He was making stupid decisions in the first 4 weeks also while fairly healthy. He's not compensating for anything. Game management has been terrible. This team doesn't look smart or well coached. Not in the least. Whenever the opportunity arises to make a smart call, they don't. That's a bigger problem and they're still trying to make it the solution. And then we'll keep hoping that someday it might start working?!

Cowfan75

Reaction score
JJ needs to have a respectful but stern talk with fat Mike, the coaching has been completely unacceptable this season even with the injuries.....Now if only someone could talk to JJ about his GM issues.....

Jerry has to love the injuries. It makes lots of fans forget we were bad before Dak went down. Free pass for the entire staff.