News: ESPN: Jones won't rule out Dez returning to Cowboys

superonyx

Reaction score
Exactly. The point is that we look at WR and say, we should give this dude, who is out of football, a chance. And yet, we won't even look at bringing in a decent QB for fear of creating comp. It's ridiculous. That's the point. It doesn't matter who we have under contract or who we don't, it's the thought process over certain positions or players. It's a bad way to do business.
I think the backup QB situation may be about cost. A bus driver backup like Chase Daniels cost about $10M per year. With a starting QB how is about to make 30+ and who hasnt been hurt at all its not wise to spend an extra 10M on a backup. Now if Mariotta or someone like that is willing to sign for $5M then lets do it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Amari’s contract situation has Jerry considering Dez as a backup plan. If the CBA is approved that will do away with the transition tag. Don’t see how he could bring Dez back after he called out Sean Lee and the teams captains. Can’t see it happening, especially with a 31 year old player who hasn’t played in two years.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Amari’s contract situation has Jerry considering Dez as a backup plan. If the CBA is approved that will do away with the transition tag. Don’t see how he could bring Dez back after he called out Sean Lee and the teams captains. Can’t see it happening, especially with a 31 year old player who hasn’t played in two years.

He can always hash it out with Sean, especially since Garrett is gone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the backup QB situation may be about cost. A bus driver backup like Chase Daniels cost about $10M per year. With a starting QB how is about to make 30+ and who hasnt been hurt at all its not wise to spend an extra 10M on a backup. Now if Mariotta or someone like that is willing to sign for $5M then lets do it.

I think that this year, you gotta bring in somebody who is capable of starting and winning games for you. Because you don't know exactly what's going to happen with Dak, I think you gotta be prepared to move forward. Draft a guy, bring in a quality backup and if Dak signs, then we are good, develop the backup guy to be your actual backup QB and keep the Vet for a few seasons, while we have a window, so that we aren't caught in the same situation as we were last year. If Dak holds out, then the money is not an issue at all and you have a guy who can give you a chance to win. Still develop the young guy and move forward. But don't draft a scrub that you know can't do jack for you except throw practice. That's not what we should be doing in Dallas. I think you gotta go out and spend some resources on a guy. Fromm could be a good idea here. He's not going to wow anybody at the combine because he isn't a blazing speed guy but he's suited to the WCO and he will be a guy who I think can be available a little later in the draft. If we can pick up a good option that falls to us, then even better but that's the kind of kid I might think about. Maybe Montez out of Colorado later in the draft is an option as well. He needs more work but he probably has better natural abilities. IDK, I'm tired of being unprepared I guess. I just want the team to stop acting like all these guys are untouchable and need to be protected. Go draft guys who can challenge starters at every single position. Bring in FAs who can help, not be useless. That's all.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He can always hash it out with Sean, especially since Garrett is gone.

He’ll have to hash it out with a number of players. McCarthy said the locker room is the most important place and I don’t think Dez would be good for the locker room. Plus he and Dak had little on the field chemistry.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
How many 3rd or 4th wrs are great? Yeah you are def funny
Yeah,

But if he can play..

we all know Dez will not be the #3 or #4 WR.

If Cooper is not resigned, he jumps to #2. Even if Cooper signs he is #3 overall and backs up #1 and #2.

I can see no reason not to sign him.

Let's get him in, give him an insurance policy against further injury and let him tryout.

Dez has to be worried about another injury hurting his chances to play again.

Remove that concern.

If he passes the tryout, sign him and then we manage his snaps and slowly increase his play.

This makes sense for everybody.

Hurry up, Dez. Hurry up.

:thumbup:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There's no value in bringing Bryant in as a 4th WR. That would mean he's playing a lot of special teams. Doubtful.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
LOL.

So, in Jerry’s world we let Cooper walk and Dez fills his void.
No.

We let Cooper go, take his money and rebuild about 5 positions on defense thru FA..

we draft a WR #1..

we delete Cooper disappearing in the passing game on away games..

you are aware that Oakland got rid of Cooper for exactly the same problems as he is having now with us.

Plus add in the biggest problem of Cooper dropping passes to much. Carr stopped throwing to Cooper as a result.

Add his $18 mil/ yr money...that screams if there is a better option..

find it

cern

Reaction score
Jerry said dez would be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen unceremoniously showed dez the door. And stephen's not going to bring him back. Such a move would be perceived as weakness.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If only we took this approach at QB. I mean, it's just baffling to me how the team and really the fan base can take the view of allowing competition like this and yet, where QB is concerned. We are so afraid of it, we will only carry a backup who can't even take a snap in a game when your QB is so obviously hurt that he can't complete simple short passes in a win or go home type game. Boggles the mind.

I liked our 1990s approach, where we brought in guys like Beuerlein and Kosar as backups even though we had an "established" quarterback.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I liked our 1990s approach, where we brought in guys like Beuerlein and Kosar as backups even though we had an "established" quarterback.

Yeah, and both those guys came up big for us in big games.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And Amari Cooper led the league in drops last year. So what?

You don't have to like it. But you will have to accept it. He has earned it and he will get it. No matter your feelings.
Lol I don’t have to accept anything. And dez was on the wrong side of 30. Amari is 25. Big difference. He also doesn’t rely on his athleticism to beat his opponents. He works at his game

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing the coach yelling at the QB in the huddle whenever he didn’t get the ball, I don’t recall the coach throwing temper tantrums on the sideline. I don’t recall the coach running out to midfield to argue with officials. I don’t recall the coach dropping the ball against Green Bay. I don’t recall the coach laughing every time he dropped the ball.

Dez is nothing but an attention *****, he’s like a little gnat that just won’t go away. I swear some of you have amnesia and can’t stop living in the past. Perhaps we should see if Aikman wants to come back as well, maybe we get a shovel and see what Landry is up to.

Dez was passionate he saw how friggen stupid this coaching staff was not getting him the ball enough times. Coaching staff was a complete joke that didn't know how to use players or schemes to their fullest. Hence there horrible record. It will be different with this coaching staff.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Dez was part of the problem. He wasn't the same WR he was prior to his injuries starting to take a toll on his body. And now he's been out of football for over a year and is coming off an achilles tear.

You guys realize you aren't getting Dez from 2011 back, right? He's not the same WR.

And if this franchise thinks he's anything more than a #3 WR on this team, at best, then they are dumb.

Bring him in for a workout. But don't delude oneself into thinking it's going to result in anything than a body for WR depth.

Like you know how Dez will be under new coaches and schemes. Might surprise people when you have real coaches now.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Like you know how Dez will be under new coaches and schemes. Might surprise people when you have real coaches now.
And he could fail to meet the already record low expectations by most fans.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Just another example of how he creates noise and makes it harder to operate a successful football operation.

At any time, he could stick his nose into things.

aria

Reaction score
Dez was passionate he saw how friggen stupid this coaching staff was not getting him the ball enough times. Coaching staff was a complete joke that didn't know how to use players or schemes to their fullest. Hence there horrible record. It will be different with this coaching staff.
Dez has no idea how to run routes and relied on his athleticism to make plays which was already in clear decline when he was cut, then he was injured. He also had a hard time not dropping passes. His time is done.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jerry said dez would be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen unceremoniously showed dez the door. And stephen's not going to bring him back. Such a move would be perceived as weakness.
Weakness by whom?

You?

I noticed that Witten is not being asked back.

Lee wants to go elsewhere..the Giants?

Maybe they can both get hired there.

Garrett can welcome them both.

That clears the way for Dez to return.

Hmmm...