ESPN: Leighton Vander Esch expected to retire in coming weeks

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Best of luck LVE. Was just a matter of when, not if.

Man do I wish he had worked out like this rookie year. Dude was everywhere on that field, then never got it back after the injuries.

Jerry - STOP gambling on hurt linebackers in the draft. Rarely ever pans out. Too brutal of a position in NFL.

khiladi

Reaction score
Well, he lasted longer than I thought, but it was basically proven once again, that nobody really comes back from the neck issue he had. He clearly lost agility and was always trying to protect his neck. He was never the same and the deterioration, like with Manning, was too much.

He’s definitely a huge “what if”. Even with his deteriorating play, his mental smarts were top notch. The defense clearly took a dive without him on the field.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If jaylon Smith chopped his foot off we wouldn't have ever wasted our money on him :p

Plankton

Reaction score
Probably more like a contract issue. Working out a deal. If a player retires, they need to pay back certain portions of bonus, or signing bonuses.
Of course depends how it is all written.
It could be an insurance related issue. Not sure if he or the team had insurance on his contract, and timing/physical exams would probably weigh into when the announcement occurs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I don't think this is a surprise to anyone. Will miss the Wolf Hunter. He tried hard as he could.

tenor.gif