ESPN: Leighton Vander Esch expected to retire in coming weeks

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think in cases like this though the player has all of the leverage on bonuses as they can simply elect not to retire. They were never be cleared so either ownership pays them their salary to sit injured or cuts them, but either way they can keep all of their bonuses.
Still something written into the contract for cases like this. If not cleared, then an injury settlement must be reached. Usually within the contract.

However, in the past I believe Jerry just ate the cost, and let them retire or released them.
But his cap hit is around $4,400,000, so doubt he does that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I would assume the guaranteed money would void but knowing Jerry he may not push the issue
True, he may not. But his cap hit would be $4.4 million I believe. Unless a June 1st cut. But I think that may be used for Gallup according to others.

They may just keep him as well and take that hit for the year.

https://overthecap.com/calculator?Team=Cowboys/dallas-cowboys/

Well maybe I am looking at it wrong, it said ore 6/1 cut, saves $2.1 million.

Mr_437

Reaction score
LVE had a good run all things considered. We knew his career came to an end when he left the 49ers game.

Sjoseph316

Reaction score
I wish him well health wise, I never want anyone hurt.
Football wise, he was terrible. He’s big and fast yes but he never played downhill, he couldn’t get off blocks and he missed a lot of tackles. He made plenty of tackles 10 yards downfield then celebrate, but that does nothing for the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No surprise, it was expected. I said when he suffered his first neck injury he would be retired by at least 28-29.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If LVE does retire, which is most likely.
Can he come in as an assistant LB coach? I can see that happening.
Don't know how much of a Coach he is, but there was a definite noticeable difference when he wasn't out there captain'ing the defense and calling assignments.

Surfguy

Reaction score
He was pretty good and great at times. He would have been even better without the injuries and with the continuity of playing in most of the games. But, we saw what happened when we lost him. Best to you, LVE, in retirement. You earned it!