News: ESPN: Mike Woicik probably will return

NewsBot

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost 77 games to injuries in 2013 including 23 to hamstring injuries. Among the key players lost to injuries were DeMarco Murray (two games), Sean Lee (five games), Morris Claiborne (five games), DeMarcus Ware (three games), Justin Durant (six games) and Miles Austin (five games). The man in charge of getting players back from injuries and keeping them healthy was Mike Woicik, the strength and conditioning coach, who just finished his 24th NFL season.

Continue reading...

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost 77 games to injuries in 2013 including 23 to hamstring injuries. Among the key players lost to injuries were DeMarco Murray (two games), Sean Lee (five games), Morris Claiborne (five games), DeMarcus Ware (three games), Justin Durant (six games) and Miles Austin (five games). The man in charge of getting players back from injuries and keeping them healthy was Mike Woicik, the strength and conditioning coach, who just finished his 24th NFL season.

Continue reading...

I could have swore we were 8 and 8. But according to this we were 8 and 77.

Reaction score
Woicek has been very good for a very long time, but I think the game is starting to pass him by.

Somebody here posted a great article on Stanford's strength and conditioning program and how few injuries they have. It was an eye opener for me and I wish the Cowboys would at least take a look at it and try to implement some of their philosophies. In a sentence, the Stanford system focuses much more on flexability than brute strength.

I think the Cowboys need to modernize their offseason programs. Not sure if Woicek is the guy to do it though.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Woicek has been very good for a very long time, but I think the game is starting to pass him by.

Somebody here posted a great article on Stanford's strength and conditioning program and how few injuries they have. It was an eye opener for me and I wish the Cowboys would at least take a look at it and try to implement some of their philosophies. In a sentence, the Stanford system focuses much more on flexability than brute strength.

I think the Cowboys need to modernize their offseason programs. Not sure if Woicek is the guy to do it though.

I was thinking the same thing.

But I'm not sure. I think the reason we've had so many injuries since his arrival could easily be attributed to the injury prone players we've been drafting as well as guys like Ware, Spencer [Ratliff], are just old and worn down.

It's not quite the same as youthful students playing in college, but I wonder if there is a correlation from a strength and conditioning standpoint.

The hamstring injuries though are pretty alarming, though. It's be hard not to place some responsibility on Woicik regarding that.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Kiffin and woicik are dinosaurs.

The game has evolved and they clearly havent

yeah, thats it, the game has evolved. Lets see, no passing and running are still the prefered ways of moving the ball. Defense stil follows the adage of hit the guy with the ball and lets see, no cheerleaders can NOT score for you no matter how bad your team is. Clearly the game as evolved and those in the think tank have not. The rules have changed, clearly, but the evolution of the game still has many founding parts.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
It's player games according to participation, not team losses. When Lee and Claiborne are both out for the same game that counts as 2 games lost.

i dont think Clairborne makes that mch of a difference.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
yeah, thats it, the game has evolved. Lets see, no passing and running are still the prefered ways of moving the ball. Defense stil follows the adage of hit the guy with the ball and lets see, no cheerleaders can NOT score for you no matter how bad your team is. Clearly the game as evolved and those in the think tank have not. The rules have changed, clearly, but the evolution of the game still has many founding parts.

Don't know the point you're making....but it fails whatever it is

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Don't know the point you're making....but it fails whatever it is

some rules have changed, but the foundation of the game, as in evolving, not really. I dont think its the game thats the reason Kiffen had a bad year. Its easy to blame one thing, and for you that may be ok, but id rather take a harder look at all the evidence. I feel its going to be some players, that fans had thought were good and just arent. I think forcing this scheme on the players didnt help and i feel certain coaches werent a help. Injuries werent helpful either. But the evolution of the game? Hardly. You still have to either pass or run the ball, so that hasnt changed. On defense you still have to stop the guy with the ball, so that hasnt changed. I dont care if you play a 3-4, a 4-3, a hybrid, or 11 guys on defense, you still have to tackle the guy will the ball. So clearly that hasnt changed, a few rules ON how to hit the guy, dont hurt an expensive qb, (thats opinion), but you still tackle the guy with the ball. Clearly Kiffen can instruct anyone to do that. Easily he can get his guys to tackle the guy with the ball, but formation, understanding job assignment, gap assignment, position, I am still not a fan of a CB being 10 yards off the WR, call me silly. But as for the evolution of the game, i dont feel thats the case.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
The thing about Kiffin and his system is that it requires the right personnel to be successful. He did not have the right personnel and he was not very good at adjusting nor adapting. Simple as that.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
i dont think Clairborne makes that mch of a difference.

Depends on what you mean by making a difference. He's definitely no all-pro, but the defense is definitely better with him on the field. Of course, that doesn't make them a good defense.