News: ESPN: Mike Woicik probably will return

XDez88BeastX

Reaction score
This is garbage, players are getting hurt but that's ok, keep the S&C guy because Jason is loyal to him. Freaking stupid. Find someone that can keep your guys on the field! Idiots.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The thing about Kiffin and his system is that it requires the right personnel to be successful. He did not have the right personnel and he was not very good at adjusting nor adapting. Simple as that.

I agree with that Kiffen needed to do a LOT more adjusting both in games and in between games.

You can't just expect YOUR scheme to pull you through... Ahem- I'm talking to you too Garrett.
A coach has to be able to make adjustments on the fly nowadays with an emphasis on making sure YOUR talent is in positions to succeed.

Offensive (and Defensive) strategies are continually improving to defeat schemes. You have to be able to throw change-ups at them through the game and plan for new wrinkles in between every game to keep them on their heels instead of dictating the action..

I know injuries can sap the ability to do some of these things- but a good coach can do a good enough job.

I hope he and Marinelli spend a lot of time together this off-season finding answers and adjusting their styles to fit the TEAM's abilities and not just their Defensive ideas.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I hope he and Marinelli spend a lot of time together this off-season finding answers and adjusting their styles to fit the TEAM's abilities and not just their Defensive ideas.

Agreed, injuries will not save them another year. Both men need to work with what they have, no excuses. If Rob Ryan can do it so can they if they are good enough.

FWIW, I do expect the Cowboys to be proactive with their S&C program this off-season as far as trying to prevent nagging injuries such as hammy pulls.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Just a thought.

The strength and conditioning coach sets individual schedules for players to achieve the best results as far as building muscle and stretching to keep things like hamstrings limber.

I do not agree the game is passing this guy by.

But what if....he goes to the head coach with a list of players who are behind schedule, and the head coach does nothing in the way of disciplining these people and getting them to work to the max?

Just saying...if this team suffers from a culture issue, then could this not also be an indicator.

Stretching and lifting may have new "technology" but it would seem a strength and conditioning coach would constantly be learning and implementing new techniques.

Maybe the head coach is not a strong enough personality to actually get these guys to lift consistently. Wouldn't Austin be a prime example of a player who is doing less than he should?

Hasn't there been comments by the staff of him not working as hard as he did at one time?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by making a difference. He's definitely no all-pro, but the defense is definitely better with him on the field. Of course, that doesn't make them a good defense.

agreed, im not bashung him, but hes not up to draft pick level. Good call by you tho.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I remember thinking before last year that a single offseason was not going to be enough time to get players bodies acclimated to the new routine.

The workouts start in April which gives about 2 or 3 months of workouts. You can obviously do a lot but I was thinking before that it would probably take 2 full sessions to both get the players 'converted.'

I am okay with giving him another year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is garbage, players are getting hurt but that's ok, keep the S&C guy because Jason is loyal to him. Freaking stupid. Find someone that can keep your guys on the field! Idiots.

It is not Jason Garrett that is keeping him employed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Just a thought.

The strength and conditioning coach sets individual schedules for players to achieve the best results as far as building muscle and stretching to keep things like hamstrings limber.

I do not agree the game is passing this guy by.

But what if....he goes to the head coach with a list of players who are behind schedule, and the head coach does nothing in the way of disciplining these people and getting them to work to the max?

Just saying...if this team suffers from a culture issue, then could this not also be an indicator.

Stretching and lifting may have new "technology" but it would seem a strength and conditioning coach would constantly be learning and implementing new techniques.

Maybe the head coach is not a strong enough personality to actually get these guys to lift consistently. Wouldn't Austin be a prime example of a player who is doing less than he should?

Hasn't there been comments by the staff of him not working as hard as he did at one time?

There is no simple way for fans to know if new or different techniques have been implemented for the team as a whole or individual players.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
How is woicik supposed to magically heal these guys and keep them healthy? Who is he, Benny Hinn?

These guys don't care that much about playing or are made of glass.

jnday

Reaction score
I still remember all the post and high hopes that came with Woicik's return. Some fans thought he was instantly going to make scrubs into Pro Bowl players. He was great during his time, but his time has passed. I didn't think he was going to perform miracles when he came back, but I expected better results than what I have seen so far. There was a reason that the Patriots didn't hang on to him. Maybe it was because they knew the game has passed him by.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I still remember all the post and high hopes that came with Woicik's return. Some fans thought he was instantly going to make scrubs into Pro Bowl players. He was great during his time, but his time has passed. I didn't think he was going to perform miracles when he came back, but I expected better results than what I have seen so far. There was a reason that the Patriots didn't hang on to him. Maybe it was because they knew the game has passed him by.

Possibly.

Or maybe the issue is not the hamstrings, but the players themselves and how the injuries are viewed.

That said, firing Woicik is not going to solve a thing if you do not have a plan.

The "college" approach seems to be a way to go due to the restrictions of the CBA. I just do not believe this organization thinks out of the box like that.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Maybe they just didn't want to match the money Jerry was offering.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Possibly.

Or maybe the issue is not the hamstrings, but the players themselves and how the injuries are viewed.

That said, firing Woicik is not going to solve a thing if you do not have a plan.

The "college" approach seems to be a way to go due to the restrictions of the CBA. I just do not believe this organization thinks out of the box like that.

they do too, they have four guys, garrett, JJ, Stephen, and lacewell with a box in the center, and JJ saying "see guys, we can think outside the box, theres a box and we are outside, now lets pass on Lacey in the draft, freak out our fanbase with another TE and cruise our way to 8-8."

THe others: thats a great plan boss, thats why your the boss, and we collect a check.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Woicek has been very good for a very long time, but I think the game is starting to pass him by.

Somebody here posted a great article on Stanford's strength and conditioning program and how few injuries they have. It was an eye opener for me and I wish the Cowboys would at least take a look at it and try to implement some of their philosophies. In a sentence, the Stanford system focuses much more on flexability than brute strength.

I think the Cowboys need to modernize their offseason programs. Not sure if Woicek is the guy to do it though.

I agree.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
There was a thread posted here during training camp where the poster was questioning the stretching techniques of the team before practice started. He said that it seemed like they were very lackadaisical and that there was no uniformity to the pre-practice stretching. The players were just kind of off on their own doing their own thing.

I have searched far and wide trying to find that thread and I absolutely cannot find it.

Am I nuts or does anybody else remember this thread?

visionary

Reaction score
What you need is a FO and HC who respect the past but are committed to the future in all aspects, not a staff that clings to the glory years of a decade and a half ago and are backward thinking

In addition to programs like Stanford, look at philly, people say that they were lucky to be healthy but the reality is that chip Kelly revamped that strength and conditioning program and had a navy seal incharge of it

They were not just lucky, they were forward thinking, smart and prepared
Everything we are not