News: ESPN: Mike Woicik probably will return

Hoofbite

Reaction score
There was a thread posted here during training camp where the poster was questioning the stretching techniques of the team before practice started. He said that it seemed like they were very lackadaisical and that there was no uniformity to the pre-practice stretching. The players were just kind of off on their own doing their own thing.

I have searched far and wide trying to find that thread and I absolutely cannot find it.

Am I nuts or does anybody else remember this thread?

Sounds familiar.

joseephuss

Reaction score
well if he was SO GREAT then they would have matched Jerruh's money. Clearly they did not think he was worth the money.

There is nothing clear about it. Just a bunch of people complaining to complain.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I think with something like training the results will be clear over time. I'm not sure one year under a new strength coach is a good barometer.

Plus I think some players are just injury prone. The Cowboys collect those. We also have a country club atmosphere thanks to the lunatic owner. Players feel it's okay to miss time. What can the head coach do about it? His package is in Jerry's desk drawer. You don't have to play if you don't feel up to it. That encourages injuries.

I just have a hard time believing Mike Woicik suddenly can't properly prepare an athlete to play in the NFL anymore.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Well, I think with something like training the results will be clear over time. I'm not sure one year under a new strength coach is a good barometer.

Plus I think some players are just injury prone. The Cowboys collect those. We also have a country club atmosphere thanks to the lunatic owner. Players feel it's okay to miss time. What can the head coach do about it? His package is in Jerry's desk drawer. You don't have to play if you don't feel up to it. That encourages injuries.

I just have a hard time believing Mike Woicik suddenly can't properly prepare an athlete to play in the NFL anymore.

Woicik started back in Dallas in 2011.

I doubt it's his fault directly but he's been around for a little bit.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

It is a different game from when Woicik was last in Dallas. Players by and large have changed. Money drives the process more than anything else.

He won titles in New England mainly because Belichick, not the owner, set the pace and established the guidelines. This is a very different Dallas than when he last coached here.

Economics drive how the players train, act and behave. And once they have the Jerry Jones golden ticket, no coach, no matter how decorated, can influence a player to play. Even he himself tried to shame Jay Ratliff and it did not work. He had to take it because he and his son had allowed that player to have the upper hand. That is the real problem. There are haves and have nots on this team and there is no middle class. The lunatics run the asylum thanks to the head lunatic allowing it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can't play defense like Dallas does and expect to stop these spread offenses.

It just won't work unless you have an incredible pass rush.

It was an awful hire and Dallas should be going in a different direction. Instead it's just status quo with no reason for excitement or hope.

This was our year to make some noise and we absolutely blew it.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
There was a thread posted here during training camp where the poster was questioning the stretching techniques of the team before practice started. He said that it seemed like they were very lackadaisical and that there was no uniformity to the pre-practice stretching. The players were just kind of off on their own doing their own thing.

I have searched far and wide trying to find that thread and I absolutely cannot find it.

Am I nuts or does anybody else remember this thread?

Yes I remember that, don't recall who it was by though.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Wow I remember when it was announced Woicik would be brought back to Dallas people were ecstatic... My how times have changed.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

And you'd be right. I have some problems with the words injury prone but you can't argue with the fact Lee missed time in college over two years and now here as well. Coincidence or not?

Kristen82

Reaction score
I don't get the hamstring problems. Think every NHL team's post-game routine includes everyone riding the ellipticals or stationary bikes to strengthen the hamstrings and keep them warm so they don't seize up, then doing the standing forward bend to stretch them out afterwards. Do NFL players do this post-game or do they just lie around scratching their bums while listening to Jay-Z on their Ipods (to be fair I know some guys get wrapped or relax in the hot tub or heal up in the hyperbaric chamber)?

burmafrd

Reaction score
There is nothing clear about it. Just a bunch of people complaining to complain.

oh BS. If Bellicek had thought Woicik was so important he would have told the owner to pony up. He did not. So despite your whining that is that.

joseephuss

Reaction score
oh BS. If Bellicek had thought Woicik was so important he would have told the owner to pony up. He did not. So despite your whining that is that.

Right, I'm the one whining. I'm glad you are here to lay down the law and let everyone know that is that. Nothing else to discuss here folks. We may as well just close this thread now.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Woicek has been very good for a very long time, but I think the game is starting to pass him by.

Somebody here posted a great article on Stanford's strength and conditioning program and how few injuries they have. It was an eye opener for me and I wish the Cowboys would at least take a look at it and try to implement some of their philosophies. In a sentence, the Stanford system focuses much more on flexability than brute strength.

I think the Cowboys need to modernize their offseason programs. Not sure if Woicek is the guy to do it though.

Woicek is not the problem. Have you ever seen the Cowboys pre-practice program? It's a joke. I've seen guys stretch more during a kegger/pickup softball tourney. Talk about going through the motions. The excuse is the NFLPA mandate for limited practice. But let's get real. Camp cupcake has never left. Guys stretching on their own...you can just see guys going through the motions. There needs to be a program put into place that is timed. Each stretch needs to be timed. I don't know how many times I've tuned into the NFL Network only to see players going through the motions of "warm ups". Players have been cheating not only themselves but their teammates for years. It's a culture thing that needs to change. And maybe it's something that can be address once it's been identified.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Woicek is not the problem. Have you ever seen the Cowboys pre-practice program? It's a joke. I've seen guys stretch more during a kegger/pickup softball tourney. Talk about going through the motions. The excuse is the NFLPA mandate for limited practice. But let's get real. Camp cupcake has never left. Guys stretching on their own...you can just see guys going through the motions. There needs to be a program put into place that is timed. Each stretch needs to be timed. I don't know how many times I've tuned into the NFL Network only to see players going through the motions of "warm ups". Players have been cheating not only themselves but their teammates for years. It's a culture thing that needs to change. And maybe it's something that can be address once it's been identified.

problem is the culture will not change until Jerruh is six feet under.

Reaction score

I'm sure you are right. But who is to blame? To me the S&T coach should be the guy to get the players to warm up properly.

Regardless, I agree its a culture issue. Going through the motions is good enough with this team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow I remember when it was announced Woicik would be brought back to Dallas people were ecstatic... My how times have changed.

He was virtully crowned as a saviour before his first day on the job. Safe to say the results are a little questionable so far.