ESPN Mosley: Did Jerry just fire Wade?

Dingo05

Reaction score
Jones basically fires Phillips
January 17, 2008 2:21 PM

Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett could've become the head coach of the Baltimore Ravens or Atlanta Falcons this week, but he decided to wait on his dream job instead.

No one knows for sure what Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said to Garrett on Wednesday night, but it was compelling enough to convince him to stay in Dallas for at least another year.

It doesn't take an Ivy League degree to know when you have leverage, and the mild-mannered Garrett arrived at last night's meeting with plenty of ammunition. It's believed that Jones bumped Garrett's salary to somewhere in the $3 million range, which is startling when you consider that Jones has always thought coaches were overrated.

It was a huge deal when he gave coordinators Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer $1 million each after they turned down offers from the Raiders and Cornhuskers a few years ago. Jones would never make this type of financial commitment unless he was convinced Garrett would be his next head coach.
And in the short term at least, it could be the worst possible move for the franchise. If you thought Wade Phillips acted paranoid down the stretch this season, just wait until next year.

At his season-ending news conference Monday, Phillips was beyond defensive. He said the best team didn't win in last Sunday's game and talked of the Cowboys' "Elite 8" status." (No word yet on when the Elite 8 banner will be raised at Texas Stadium).

In a telling moment during the news conference, Phillips talked about how his defense held up its side of the bargain. The inference was impossible to miss: the offense didn't score enough points to win.

He would never admit it publcly, but Phillips had to be rooting for Garrett to leave. And who would blame him?

Phillips is more of a lame-duck coach than ever, and anything short of reaching a Super Bowl will probably signal the end of the road in Dallas. In fact, a Super Bowl appearance might not do the trick because Garrett would receive another batch of lucrative offers.

Jones started down this path when he hired Garrett to be his offensive coordinator before a head coach was in place. I don't think Phillips will function well in this type of environment, but Jones is willing to take that risk.

In reality, he fired Phillips last night. We'll just have to wait another 11 months for the announcement.

http://myespn.go.com/profile/hashmarks

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
"Elite 8"

:laugh2:

After that loss, Jerry said it was the most disappointing moment as Cowboys owner.

Then, the next day, Wade talks about reaching the "Elite 8." :eek:

There's no way that set well with Jerry.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Looks like Mosely reads this forum too. At least he didn't steal my stolen graphic.

CPonder14

Reaction score
Chief;1911249 said:
"Elite 8"

After that loss, Jerry said it was the most disappointing moment as Cowboys owner.

I agree,

Big Dakota

Reaction score
It's not popular, but i agree with all of what they said. It remains to be seen how Wade will react, or how well he can coach in this environment, but i can honestly say i don't think he'll be here past 2008.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd sure be happy to make $3 million a year if someone fired me.

Oh, the horror. He gave an assistant a raise! What ever will Phillips do!

ddh33

Reaction score
Yeah, and the situation last year could never work either. After all, Jerry hired the OC before the head coach. I mean, who else would dare do such a thing!

But last year worked out fine until the bitter end.

And you know what, Bill Parcells just hired an offensive coach before he ever had his head coach. Wonder when David Lee is going to take over for that lame duck Tony Sparano?

As long as the defense performs and the team wins, Wade will be fine.

superpunk

Reaction score
Chief;1911249 said:
"Elite 8"

From Jerry's perspective, what more can he do? Give his head coach a team of 22 pro-bowlers? Draft more defenders in the first round? Pay an elite QB, WR, and TE?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1911256 said:
I'd sure be happy to make $3 million a year if someone fired me.

Oh, the horror. He gave an assistant a raise! What ever will Phillips do!

As my grandfather used to joke. "I'm not here for the work, I'm here for the paycheck!"

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
ddh33;1911258 said:
As long as the defense performs and the team wins (SUPER BOWLS), Wade will be fine.

Add that, then I would agree.

ddh33

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1911262 said:
Phillips has one more year regardless.

And if he doesn't win, that was going to be the case whether Garrett was here or not. Not that much changed, except Jerry ponied up the money to keep a young bright coach who he really likes as a way of hedging his bet.

Dingo05

Reaction score
PosterChild;1911250 said:
Looks like Mosely reads this forum too. At least he didn't steal my stolen graphic.

Because, you are the only one that has this thought.:rolleyes:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Only the Wade lovers (anybody left?) will hate this column.

The rest will just nod in an approving way.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Wade does seem like the sensitive type. It will be interesting to hear what Red says today about the situation.

burmafrd

Reaction score
On the other hand this could prod Wade to push harder, work harder, and be less forgiving of mistakes. Which I think would be a good thing.