ESPN Mosley: Did Jerry just fire Wade?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
ddh33;1911268 said:
And if he doesn't win, that was going to be the case whether Garrett was here or not. Not that much changed, except Jerry ponied up the money to keep a young bright coach who he really likes as a way of hedging his bet.

In Jerry's eyes obviously. Me? Not so sure yet.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
burmafrd;1911275 said:
On the other hand this could prod Wade to push harder, work harder, and be less forgiving of mistakes. Which I think would be a good thing.

I was thinking this same thing.

Wade is going to coach his butt off next year. You can bank on that.

Replace my butt w/ some punk 41 yr old OC? Ill show you.

SB WIN!

What now Jerry? What now? :p:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Chief;1911249 said:
"Elite 8"

:laugh2:

After that loss, Jerry said it was the most disappointing moment as Cowboys owner.

Then, the next day, Wade talks about reaching the "Elite 8." :eek:

There's no way that set well with Jerry.

Wade "We're Fine" Phillips also said the Cowboys won one playoff game before the Giants game because the bye had given them a "win" already.
Nice spin, Wade, but too bad you could not win the second playoff game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
burmafrd;1911275 said:
On the other hand this could prod Wade to push harder, work harder, and be less forgiving of mistakes. Which I think would be a good thing.
There was an article when Wade was first hired where he talked about in San Diego, they actually came out and told him and the other coaches that they had one season to get it right and if they didn't turn the ship around, they were all gone. Here, all he's gotta do is take a talented team and go a step further than he did last year. I'm sure he's shaking in his boots. If he's in the NFCCG, he's not losing his job.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think it is an interesting article.

Like anything, this is just a talkin head's take on the current sitution.

Personally, I don't think his perspective on Wade Phillips is far from the truth.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chief;1911249 said:
"Elite 8"

:laugh2:

After that loss, Jerry said it was the most disappointing moment as Cowboys owner.

Then, the next day, Wade talks about reaching the "Elite 8." :eek:

There's no way that set well with Jerry.

When he brought up the "Elite 8" I immediately remebered MikeW mentioning how Wade isn't a bad guy but he can say some really phenomenally stupid things.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
theogt;1911283 said:
There was an article when Wade was first hired where he talked about in San Diego, they actually came out and told him and the other coaches that they had one season to get it right and if they didn't turn the ship around, they were all gone. Here, all he's gotta do is take a talented team and go a step further than he did last year. I'm sure he's shaking in his boots. If he's in the NFCCG, he's not losing his job.

So are you saying all Wade has to do is take this team to the NFCCG in 2008 to be here in 2009?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Worst thing about this is that now that the locals (and yes, Mosley is still a local) are convinced Wade is paranoid and doomed, they'll be looking for signs to prove they're right all year long.

Just watch, there will be plenty of articles from Galloway, Hate, JJT, and Reeves about how badly Wade is handling this... No matter what he does.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1911294 said:
So are you saying all Wade has to do is take this team to the NFCCG in 2008 to be here in 2009?
Well, if we take a step backwards, he likely won't be here. And the only place to go forward is the NFCCG.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1911253 said:
It's not popular, but i agree with all of what they said. It remains to be seen how Wade will react, or how well he can coach in this environment, but i can honestly say i don't think he'll be here past 2008.

I dont expect to react at all.

He was brought in after Garrett.
Garrett has been retained now.

If anything he will probably say... "things are the way they were" and thats fine with him

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1911298 said:
Worst thing about this is that now that the locals (and yes, Mosley is still a local) are convinced Wade is paranoid and doomed, they'll be looking for signs to prove they're right all year long.

Just watch, there will be plenty of articles from Galloway, Hate, JJT, and Reeves about how badly Wade is handling this... No matter what he does.

He was put in a no win situation. Any decline, even one game gives Jerry the reson to pull the trigger. Win a playoff game and stop there, same thing.
Phillips needs a SB. Hell, we all do.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1911309 said:
He was put in a no win situation. Any decline, even one game gives Jerry the reson to pull the trigger. Win a playoff game and stop there, same thing.
Phillips needs a SB. Hell, we all do.

Hopefully the fire Jerry just lit under the head coach's *** inspires the entire team.

ddh33

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1911298 said:

Exactly. I hate that too. Everything else will take a backseat to the manufactured story.

TonyS

Reaction score
This is one of the worst things that could've happened and shows that Jerry isn't really committed to Wade at all.

NFL Assistants around the league are screamin for joy in their headsets now that Jerry once again raises the bar on salary.

Stupid Jerry.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
At his season-ending news conference Monday, Phillips was beyond defensive. He said the best team didn't win in last Sunday's game and talked of the Cowboys' "Elite 8" status." (No word yet on when the Elite 8 banner will be raised at Texas Stadium).

Don't tell theo.