News: ESPN: NFL appealing Watson's six-game suspension

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course . They are making the appearance of going to the hilt for a maximum sentence . And why Goodell has outsourced again for another judgement instead of making his own.

This entire Arbitrary system is to take heat off of Goodell while basically leveraging the same sentences they would .

And it provides the appearance they are doing all they can in a more justifiable process to appease to these more sensitive segments who outcry over these players conduct.
Meanwhile, Texans fans are screaming, BAN HIM, GIVE HIM YEARS!!!!!!!!!! Since they own their first rounders.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree. I've said repeatedly, I can accept the outcome, no matter what it is. The players have nobody to blame but themselves for allowing the arbitrator to be appealed. The outcome of Watson's case was very predictable. Hes gone for a year.
Yep

Probably one way or another . Goodell just doesn’t want to have to make the official ruling himself . It’s a great public strategy. Basically another buffer for the league and now Goodell.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's how it was for the longest time.
Correct

In the old days Landry simply released problem players like Lance Rentzel , Duanne Thomas and Hollywood Henderson. There was no league mandate.

But in this era with so much money involved teams aren’t as likely to discipline themselves . And with the billions involved with the TV networks and Sponsors now the league just couldn’t let this go . Especially on the type of issues we are seeing with this eras athletes in domestic abuse. Which wasn’t the reason for any of Landry’s cuts which was more drug related and like Rentzel he was prosecuted for exposure to young girl .

Different times call for different measures . As always , follow the money trail.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And all players were protected and allowed to get by w/ all sorts of stuff. Don't see how that would work nowadays, w/ everything so blatantly overt.
That’s a big part of it. With todays social media everything is exposed almost immediately. No sweeping it under the rug or hoping it doesn’t come out.

Plus these domestic violence cases weren’t what most players back then were getting in trouble for. And these athletes aren’t getting prosecuted for these complicated situations .

It just isn’t a good look for the league with the demographics which have changed so dramatically this era . They didn’t want to become the NBA ending up basically on Cable TV. Lol

Flamma

Reaction score
And all players were protected and allowed to get by w/ all sorts of stuff. Don't see how that would work nowadays, w/ everything so blatantly overt.

Of course. I just wonder what impact it would have. Do you think anyone that watches football cares if the league tests for recreational drugs? Anyone? If they were arrested for possession, ok. But to search someone's closet for no reason? I don't know. I think there is a middle ground somewhere between a free for all and the crap they have now.

Flamma

Reaction score
Correct

In the old days Landry simply released problem players like Lance Rentzel , Duanne Thomas and Hollywood Henderson. There was no league mandate.

But in this era with so much money involved teams aren’t as likely to discipline themselves . And with the billions involved with the TV networks and Sponsors now the league just couldn’t let this go . Especially on the type of issues we are seeing with this eras athletes in domestic abuse. Which wasn’t the reason for any of Landry’s cuts which was more drug related and like Rentzel he was prosecuted for exposure to young girl .

Different times call for different measures . As always , follow the money trail.

Yeah, kind of hard to argue that. Remember the WR for the Denver Broncos, Upchurch? He liked to smoke weed. I saw a video of an issue he had with the Broncos regarding this. At one point the broncos said, keep clean or we'll release you. So they were testing him every week. One week before a big game he tested positive. The Broncos did nothing. They said he apologized and that's that. I was cracking up. He played in that game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course. I just wonder what impact it would have. Do you think anyone that watches football cares if the league tests for recreational drugs? Anyone? If they were arrested for possession, ok. But to search someone's closet for no reason? I don't know. I think there is a middle ground somewhere between a free for all and the crap they have now.

Unless the drug abuse is impacting a certain type of violence , abuse or other criminal activity I’m not sure most would care.

The big issue which begun driving the need for the Personal Conduct Policy was Domestic Violence .

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Already almost there!!!

So, maybe that's their endgame? Drag it out, pretending to care, until no one wants to hear it anymore?

Hate to admit it, but not a terrible plan.

Yeah, I'm pretty much already over it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

So they'd be cool with a proportional punishment? I don't know how many Ben had, but it was a hell of a lot less than 24 (or whatever). Let's scale the suspension to the number of offenses and see how Watson likes that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes. Rec drugs detract from the product, so yes, everyone would care.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless the drug abuse is impacting a certain type of violence , abuse or other criminal activity I’m not sure most would care.

The big issue which begun driving the need for the Personal Conduct Policy was Domestic Violence .

Yes, most would care a lot. No one wants to watch a pile of stoners running around being stupid. Down go the ratings.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes. Rec drugs detract from the product, so yes, everyone would care.

I don't think you understood what I asked. The league tests for recreational drugs. Do people care that they do that or not?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, most would care a lot. No one wants to watch a pile of stoners running around being stupid. Down go the ratings.
With 37 states now with at least medicinal legal use for Marijuana and 19 for full recreational use along with many other states small possession decriminalized like a traffic citation even in some counties and municipalities in Redneck Texas we basically have a society stoned legally. I’m sure most of these athletes are partaking as well.

Flamma

Reaction score
With 37 states now with at least medicinal legal use for Marijuana and 19 for full recreational use along with many other states small possession decriminalized like a traffic citation even in some counties and municipalities in Redneck Texas we basically have a society stoned legally. I’m sure most of these athletes are partaking as well.

My point is, I don't think anyone really cares that the league tests for drug use. There's really no need to test for any of it. No one will know one way or the other unless someone is actually arrested for it. At that point I can see the league reacting in some way.

erod

Reaction score
Truth is, the league is chalk full of miscreants, criminals, and half-wits.

Watson just happened to get caught.

Suspension talk is somewhat silly. How is this serial sexual predator allowed to ever play again?

Because the NFL and its fans don't really care about this. It's all for show.

Would any suspension of any length change who Watson is or what he did to those dozens, if not hundreds, of women?

Flamma

Reaction score
Truth is, the league is chalk full of miscreants, criminals, and half-wits.

Watson just happened to get caught.

Suspension talk is somewhat silly. How is this serial sexual predator allowed to ever play again?

Because the NFL and its fans don't really care about this. It's all for show.

Would any suspension of any length change who Watson is or what he did to those dozens, if not hundreds, of women?

Would any suspension stop people from watching? If so, how many? If any, I think it would be more focused in Cleveland.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think you understood what I asked. The league tests for recreational drugs. Do people care that they do that or not?
You didn't understand my answer. Widespread use of rec drugs = a lesser product. So, yes, people do care. They may not know that they care, but they'd figure out that they do. One of those, be careful what you ask for you might get it.