Image: ESPN ranks Cowboys 3rd best chance to win NFC (May 17)

CWR

Reaction score
What the Cowboys did in FA was the right move. This team isnt ready for all in. And the all in approach you wanted would have handicapped them cap wise for the next 2 or 3 years.

The way they have done it now they have full control over their cap and will be in great shape over the next 2 or 3 years especially with Zeke coming off after this season.

Williams and Fowler replace Gregory, Smith replaces Connor Williams and Tolbert and the rookie TE replace the Cooper loss. Now even if immediate returns dont go our way in that decision, its much better going forward. In reality, a 3rd year Lamb is the one replacing Cooper and to me that is an upgrade.

We been waiting for next year for a long time. I'm not sure anything has changed. Eventually, you have to get within striking range and take a shot. With a weak conference and being a handful of players away, we were close enough to justify it.

Things are never going to be perfect. We can't keep playing for next year the next 25 seasons.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
We been waiting for next year for a long time. I'm not sure anything has changed. Eventually, you have to get within striking range and take a shot. With a weak conference and being a handful of players away, we were close enough to justify it.

Things are never going to be perfect. We can't keep playing for next year the next 25 seasons.
You have to look at who you're responding too.

Some will just never get it.

CWR

Reaction score
You have to look at who you're responding too.

Some will just never get it.

Our conservative nature has only served to provide mediocrity. We are in the worst holding pattern. I'd risk a couple awful seasons of rebuilding to take a legitimate shot at a title.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Our conservative nature has only served to provide mediocrity. We are in the worst holding pattern. I'd risk a couple awful seasons of rebuilding to take a legitimate shot at a title.
A lot of people here have before very comfortable in that mediocrity. As long as we compete with the rest of the trash in our division they are satisfied.

They're easy to spot.

Reactions: CWR

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"Wait until Free Agency"

"Wait until the draft"

"Wait until training camp"

"Wait until Week 1"

"Wait until Week 8"

And so on and so forth. Rinse and repeat. Year after year.

When it comes to the Cowboys the pessimist are right while the optimist is left looking foolish for hyping up a failure every year. Us "pessimist" when it comes to the Cowboys would love nothing more than to be turned into an optimist, but we're not easy, and 1996 was a long time ago, so you have to earn it from us because, call me crazy now, but after 26 years of failure we don't exactly trust this team anymore.

Don't let your heart override your brain. It's not worth it, friend.
You rambling on and on makes no sense. You obviously don't understand each season is a process. There is a time to judge how they are doing and there is a time where you have to exercise some patience so they can get there new talent(from FA and draft) acclimated and coached up.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You rambling on and on makes no sense. You obviously don't understand each season is a process. There is a time to judge how they are doing and there is a time where you have to exercise some patience so they can get there new talent(from FA and draft) acclimated and coached up.
Patience you say?

Kids have been born, graduated college, and gotten jobs all the the span of time this organization was last successful.

Just have some patience, huh?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would change #3 and 4. I think the Cowboys were the 4th or 5th best in the NFC last year and haven't really seen them improve that team.
I think TB could easily be #1.
Rams lost some key pieces and have an insane schedule. Plus, repeats are somewhat rare.
Green Bay lost their 2nd best player as well.

Motorola

Reaction score
The 49ers just keep getting slept on.
Mostly everyone discounted the team before the wildcard game v. Dallas - forgetting that the 49ers were in the Super Bowl two years earlier.
But this upcoming season the QB decision looms large.
Do they trade Garopollo - keep him?
Is Lance ready to start?

Motorola

Reaction score
ESPN will be solidly anti-Brady now that he’s a Fox Sports man.
Interesting take; but when the season unfolds and Brady continues to play well while the Bucs remain a playoff contender...any criticism by ESPN media will come across as sour grapes.

Motorola

Reaction score
This isn't that far off....actually within range 3-5. Some can make a legit case of the Bucs and/or 49ers ahead of us. I'm guessing the 49er's unsettled QB is an issue for many. As for Bucs, Brady may be Brady but that TV deal he signed tells me he has one foot in and one out.

Great insight from Young.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Our little Eagles fans with no life on this board ain't gonna like this thread.:laugh: I'm sure he's already **** and pissed all over this thread by now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'll bad mouth and slam them until they get their act together and build a real winner. It's the same old song and dance every single year with this organization. A real fan would stop buying the fools gold every year. If you're not expecting better from this organization then you're part of the problem. A fan should expect winners. They should not be satisfied with "good enough" every few years.

Jerry knows that if we can win the NFC East once ever 3 years or so then fans like yourself will believe that in those next 3 years we have a real shot, rinse and repeat. When the belief from those delusional fans starts to waver then boom! Another NFC East win to hold ya over for another 3 years.

We never build on success. We went 12-5 last year, with half our wins in our crap division, and then sent packing as soon as we faced decent competition. It remains to be seen, but by all accounts we got worse and failed to maintain, let alone upgrade, the positions we let walk away.

Demand better and voice it or stay satisfied with the crap you're given. You know where I stand and I know where you stand.

I don't care what Jerry thinks, I was a big fan of the Cowboys long before he got there. When I get to the point of dogging and slamming any and everything they do then I will not watch them. After all I get nothing out of this I get no ring, I get no pay I watch them because I am a fan and I choose to be a fan. If I felt as you, why the hell would I bother watching. You demanding means nothing absolutely nothing and it changes nothing. I am fair in giving credit to things they do that I approve of and I am critical over things they have done that I disagree with. I am balanced in my view unlike you who finds fault in everything they do.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I don't care what Jerry thinks, I was a big fan of the Cowboys long before he got there. When I get to the point of dogging and slamming any and everything they do then I will not watch them. After all I get nothing out of this I get no ring, I get no pay I watch them because I am a fan and I choose to be a fan. If I felt as you, why the hell would I bother watching. You demanding means nothing absolutely nothing and it changes nothing. I am fair in giving credit to things they do that I approve of and I am critical over things they have done that I disagree with. I am balanced in my view unlike you who finds fault in everything they do.

You're an old school guy. Don't waste your time with this kid. Hope your spring/summer is going well.

ESisback

Reaction score
CWR, Exactly what did we do to fix out run game?
We drafted a raw Olineman that has potential, while losing 2 starting Olinemen.
You could make a case that our Offense took a step back since last year especially with the lose of Coop.
BTW, Like your posts, just wanted to understand your position...
A case could be made either way. You have to decide for yourself how you would most enjoy the season—constantly stressing over potentially negative outcomes, or retaining hope and enjoyment derived from watching things unfold.

Motorola

Reaction score
If they weren't in the same division as LA, they probably would be one of the top four, but they can't win the NFC if they can't win their division. Doesn't mean they wouldn't still whip us.
49ers didn't win NFC West last season - but were tied with the Rams with two minutes to go in the conference title game.
Buccaneers didn't win NFC South in 2020 - but went all the way to the league championship.
Also - with the recently (2020-21 season) expanded playoffs, three division winners in each conference have to play in the wildcard round.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach, Have to disagree, the Eagles added an all pro Wideout, and did not have the talent loss we had in Coop and Randy.
They had a stronger draft than us, and their picks could step up just as easy as ours could.
Bottom line, the Eagles gained talent while we lost some.
Be interesting to see how much the gap has closed.
john, I still give the division nod to the team with the better QB. I trust Prescott to overcome obstacles more than Hurts. I think the D's the Eagles will face are going to put it all on the QB.