ESPN ranks Dallas Cowboys roster just outside of top 5

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Dallas' roster is weird. The DE's are elite. The DB's are elite. The WR's and TE's are good. The QB is top 10. The line is still good. There are a lot of good players on the team.

That said, they have the worst DT's and RB's in the NFL. A chain is as strong as its weakest link. IMO, there is a good chance that opponents exploit these weaknesses and make life really difficult for Dallas.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dallas' roster is weird. The DE's are elite. The DB's are elite. The WR's and TE's are good. The QB is top 10. The line is still good. There are a lot of good players on the team.

That said, they have the worst DT's and RB's in the NFL. A chain is as strong as its weakest link. IMO, there is a good chance that opponents exploit these weaknesses and make life really difficult for Dallas.
If the QB played like he was top 10 the Cowboys would of been in an NFC championship game by now. He's only top 10 against his own division. Get outside of that and he is the problem.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think that’s about right. When you have an MVP type QB, you can go a long way if the rest of the team and coaches do their part.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-49ers-chiefs-ravens-jets-lions-micah-parsons
hmmm, not sure if that's true.
RBs are the worst
DTs are bottom 5th of the league
LBs are questionable outside of Parsons.
Safties are Meh
CBs are good
OL has two good guards and 3 big question marks
WRs...Lamb, Cook are good. so one can argue they have good WR group, but depth behind them is a huge concern
TEs - Ferguson is shaping to be a top 5 TE. decent depth. probably our best position
QB - see the other 180,302 threads and 3,473,492 comments.

so how is this a top 5 roster?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
If the QB played like he was top 10 the Cowboys would of been in an NFC championship game by now. He's only top 10 against his own division. Get outside of that and he is the problem.
I think Dak is in the group of QB's who are good but not great and can win with a good team around them. I think Dak has an absurd record when the team runs for 100 yards in division or out.

I certainly agree that Dak's stats are inflated due to his division and said so many times. I also question if the team can truly put a good team around him with a $60m+ cap hit.

Dallas is in that painful middle group with Dak. Things can be worse but its going to be hard to be better.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Way overranking us, IMO.

If we're 5th this year, what were we supposed to be last year with Tyron, Biadasz, Pollard, Hankins, and Armstrong?
3rd?

The article called the oline the "X Factor". It's gonna be worse. Get real. Tyron was 2nd Team All Pro last year. The X factor is how much worse.
From the talk of how raw Guyton was, I expected him to sit this year and Tyler to move to LT.
Instead, he's the starter.
And we think we can plug and play a 4th round G at C?
Two most important positions on the oline manned with rookies.
The X Factor is whether this will be a case of growing pains or a full blown debacle.
I agree.