ESPN - Should Cowboys sign Ezekiel Elliott to long-term deal?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Unless Zeke demands a new contract and threatens to not show up for work; I will not worry about it. He is going to show up for camp and will play for us next season. #SuperBowlChamps #HowBoutDemCowboys

MistyAnn

Reaction score
He is one of the best players in the NFL, I'd keep him unless we get a trade of the Century deal for him, does anyone know if the Vikings are interested in him.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Media is making this into a bigger issue than it is. There are other guys who should be in this discussion such as Dak, and Cooper but Zeke still has time on his contract. Dead issue.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Best players don't fold in the playoffs. Emmitt showed up, Zeke didn't.
Emmitt did hold out in 94. He wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league. Cost us 2 loses the 1st 2 games of the 94 season which proved a HUGE point, not ANYONE could run behind that line. First team in NFL history to win the SB after starting 0-2!

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Emmitt did hold out in 94. He wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league. Cost us 2 loses the 1st 2 games of the 94 season which proved a HUGE point, not ANYONE could run behind that line. First team in NFL history to win the SB after starting 0-2!

Yup. I still have my many vhs game recordings.

Last edited:

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
I think between Dak, Amari, and Zeke, the odd man out is Zeke. The Rb position is just easier to fill but I love Zeke and want to keep all three.........

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I think Zeke gets his money now.

He has won the rushing title twice in 3 years.

Should have been three in 2017 except for the suspension.

Our best player hands down.

He brings the swag if we are going to win.

Can he stay healthy and there is no indication that he can't. If he stays healthy through the 2019 season I see an extension coming. My belief, Zeke will have a great year ….AGAIN!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Zeke isn't Emmitt though. We had a losing record in games Emmitt didn't play in but we have a winning record in games Zeke didn't play in.

I'm all for resigning Zeke but he is at the end of the list. Dak, Cooper, Jaylon Smith etc. play a more crucial position and need to be locked up first.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Can any team have the highest paid triplets in the league, all 3 in the top 5 at their position, and build out and hold onto a defense?
Well Dak might be in top 5 paid this year but next year he will be closer to 10th highest paid. Wentz, Goff, Mahomes etc. will all get bigger deals......that's another reason we need to sign Dak asap

Jipper

Reaction score
Uh...I’m not sure the cba allows for rookie contracts to be amended...I think that was the whole point of slotting until you get to the 5th year...so he can’t even hold out this year...I could be wrong

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His backup could not run as well behind that line but that does not mean another starter like Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis or Ricky Watters or a handful of other RB's couldn't have been effective enough for that team to accomplish what they did. Only two of those RB's, Bettis and Watters, ran behind lines as good as the Cowboys.

The Cowboys need to take a page from the Shanahan playbook, build the OL and the RB's will come...…..one after another after another. He had Terrell Davis to lead the league but after that didn't need the leading rusher to lead the league in rushing.

Ya know what many here are guilty of? Blaming Booger for falling in love with his players and then doing the same thing. In this case, and every other one involving re-signing a player, I ask myself 'what would Belichick do'? No way in hell he pays a RB 15M a season, he pays his QB that. And he had a rookie RB last year in Michel at pick #31 and just took another in this draft at 87, Damien Harris. Keep'em young and coming, no reason to have any RB in his 2nd contract.

A 30M QB is going to be a necessity, regardless of who he is, and a 16M WR looks to be as well but a 15M RB is a luxury and a team killing one. A team could afford two starting quality RB's, one a pass catching fool, for that but should not be spending 15M on the whole RB corps.