ESPN: Source: Cowboys consider other options in wake of Johnson's 122-yard gm

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3666838

After a Week 8 in which Brad Johnson threw for a measly 122 yards and the Cowboys gained only 172 in all, their fewest ever in a victory, internal concerns are emerging at Valley Ranch about whether the NFL's oldest active obvious limitations within the offense, on full display in Sunday's 13-9 win over Tampa Bay, might prompt coach Wade Phillips and his staff to consider other options, including third-stringer Brooks Bollinger.

In the two games with Johnson starting for Romo, none of the Cowboys' top three wide receivers or tight end Jason Witten has a reception for 20 or more yards. With Johnson in the lineup, Owens has just seven catches for 64 yards, Patrick Crayton four for 43 and newly acquired Roy Williams two for 10 yards. Witten has seven receptions for 52 yards. Williams is the only player among those mentioned with a touchdown catch.

Johnson is the only Cowboys player with a Super Bowl ring and the Cowboys were attracted to his experience, intelligence and reputation for being someone who could manage the game and avoid sacks and turnovers. Johnson has three interceptions and been sacked six times in his two starts.

Dallas (5-3) apparently has little interest in former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- who excelled with the deep ball -- as he failed to impress for Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett while both were with the Miami Dolphins.

The daunting challenge of playing the Giants' defense on the road is another reason for the Cowboys to discuss replacing Johnson. With the Giants leading the NFL in sacks, Johnson's inability to escape the pass rush becomes an additional liability.

Bollinger's mobility could be important against the Giants, who sacked Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger five times and intercepted four of his passes in Sunday's 21-14 victory. The Giants (6-1) have a league-high 26 sacks.

:jackpot::flagwave: :dance: :clap: :pray:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would just as soon go with Bollinger than to pick up a player who does not know from one min. to the next if even wants to play in the NFL.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Wasn't one of the main reasons he left football was because teams are unwilling to pay him what he thought he was worth? I don't see that changing.

Next................

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2377892 said:
I'll take the cannon, pocket presence and deep ball anyday over Bollinger.

yeah, forget the fact he is an int and fumble machine, and has sucked on the field for several years now

:rolleyes:

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score

Before the season, sure. Week 9, not so much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice to see Johnson ineptitude being mentioned publicly.

Increases the chances (however slim) that the coaching staff will acknowledge it and do something about it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

He has all that? I guess that explains why no one was falling over themself to pick him up. I will say Culpepper has a strong arm but that is about it he not much of a leader and as I said does not know if he really wants to play or not and I don't think this team needs any more guys with questionable character issues, he is not a trouble maker but he is about as weak minded as they come.

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2377905 said:
He has all that? I guess that explains why no one was falling over themself to pick him up. I will say Culpepper has a strong arm but that is about it he not much of a leader and as I said does not know if he really wants to play or not and I don't think this team needs any more guys with questionable character issues, he is not a trouble maker but he is about as weak minded as they come.

Was he on the sex boat? I cant remember. I know Smoot and McKinnie were. He might have been on as well..

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2377881 said:
Dallas (5-3) apparently has little interest in former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper -- who excelled with the deep ball -- as he failed to impress for Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett while both were with the Miami Dolphins.

Whats getting you so happy?

WarC

Reaction score
Billy Volek is available.

Bledsoe.

Culpepper.

Craig Nall. (longtime Favre backup)

Byron Leftwich.

Whole mess of QB's who could most probably outperform BJ are still available.

At this point, though, you're realistically only looking at one game to give to these guys...Then its back to being the #2 guy riding the bench unless Romo gets hurt again. Alot of these guys don't want to sit in that position again or they'd be riding the bench today on another team already. :(

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCordsville Cowboy;2377881 said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3666838

You post an article and hi-lite the part of the article that says the cowboys showed LITTLE interest and failed to impress Garrett while in Miami and title your thread it's culpepper time while having a bunch of woohoo emoticons like you want him here?

What part of that makes sense? The thing you post is basically giving credence of the idea why they will NOT bring him here. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
ajk23az;2377909 said:
Whats getting you so happy?
I guess your not watching the same underthrows, check downs and would be interceptions that I am....

Anything remotely close to getting rid of him will make me excited. I'd take Bollinger over him just get him out.

This team has more offensive talent than 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs yet you cant tell by our QB play.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2377907 said:
Was he on the sex boat? I cant remember. I know Smoot and McKinnie were. He might have been on as well..

Yes he was but I don't know the story on that and has nothing to do with why I would not want Culpepper I don't want a player on this team who is unsure about his love of the game. His talent level is not that great to begin and he is extremely sloppy with the ball.

adamknite

Reaction score
Was he on the sex boat? I cant remember.

Yes

On December 14, 2005 Culpepper and three other players were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct for their involvement in the 2005 Minnesota Vikings boat cruise scandal, according to court papers and news reports. The maximum penalty they could have faced was 90 days in jail. His defense contended there was racial discrimination among the prosecution. On April 4, 2006, however the charges against Culpepper were dropped owing to a lack of probable cause.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score

I was there, I don't remember seeing him though

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Hmmm Culpepper, you mean the same guy who in the last 3 years has a 75.6 QB rating?

Who has 13 TDs with 20 INTs?

Who has 16 fumbles...SIXTEEN in 18 games!!!!!!!!

Sacked 73 times in 18 games!!!!! (4 times a game!!)

The guy doesnt know how to make a decision when to throw the damn ball.

He is worse, WAY WORSE than Romo with fumbles.

If you want to maybe get 7 more points a game but with 2-3 more TO's a game, yeah sure, go for it :rolleyes: