ESPN: Source: Cowboys consider other options in wake of Johnson's 122-yard gm

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
were not gonna sign a qb to play 1 game. just stick with johnson, pray for a miracle and see if we can steal one from NY(probably not). than get healthy and get ready for the rematch with washington.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2378119 said:
I don't advocate giving the whole game to Bollinger. Instead, give him about 15-20 plays to practice that fit his skill set. Roll outs and some deeper routes mixed in there too. This would help keep NY on it's toes.

I can see your point, and you may see Bollinger some on Sunday, I just have never been impressed with him.

What I am hoping for is this, the o-line gives Brad time similiar to what he had against Tampa and that the Defense steps it up another notch above what it did against the Bucs. If this happens, I think the Cowboys would have a decent shot at winning the game. I know I am asking alot, but hey, I think it is time this Cowboys team, if it is the most talented in the league, show what it is made of.
I would sign Culpepper, or someone better, right after the game and let Johnson go. I would then spend the by week getting Culpepper familiar with the offense. I think Jerry now sees the importance of a younger, more flexible backup QB. I like Brad Johnson and think he has done the best he could for this team, but his time has passed.
I may be wrong, but I really think Dallas beats NY Sunday :starspin

Reaction score
DWhite Fan;2378197 said:
I can see your point, and you may see Bollinger some on Sunday, I just have never been impressed with him.

What I am hoping for is this, the o-line gives Brad time similiar to what he had against Tampa and that the Defense steps it up another notch above what it did against the Bucs. If this happens, I think the Cowboys would have a decent shot at winning the game. I know I am asking alot, but hey, I think it is time this Cowboys team, if it is the most talented in the league, show what it is made of.
I would sign Culpepper, or someone better, right after the game and let Johnson go. I would then spend the by week getting Culpepper familiar with the offense. I think Jerry now sees the importance of a younger, more flexible backup QB. I like Brad Johnson and think he has done the best he could for this team, but his time has passed.
I may be wrong, but I really think Dallas beats NY Sunday :starspin

Shah......

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
r2-d2-princess-leia-hologram.jpg

"Help us Romo-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope...."

romo_starwars.jpg

aikemirv

Reaction score
If you have Monday and Tuesday off, how can you switch QB's when he has had no reps with the 1st team?

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Johnson has obvious shortcomings. I gotta believe that the coaches can see these shortcomings too.

If the Cowboys had Johnny Unitas, in his prime, as the third stringer, the Cowboys coaches would be bright enough to play Johnny Unitas ahead of Brad Johnson.

So if the coaches are hesitant to replace Johnson with Bollinger, it tells us that Bollinger isn't Johnny Unitas. Fact is that the coaches aren't sure that Bollinger is any better than Brad Johnson.

The bottomline is that there aren't any great choices to be made here.

I think you've gotta try to get Bollinger ready. Start Johnson but don't be afraid to pull him in favor of Bollinger if/when the game begins to get out of hand.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
percyhoward;2378014 said:
We're getting about one of these per week.

I think it's Jerry.

He's the most accessible owner/gm in the league and he'll say/do just about anything to keep his team in the news.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
FWIW... In the PC today, Wade sounded pretty evasive about guaranteeing Brad would start this week. He kept saying that we haven't had meetings about personnel yet.

The media could tell he was being less than definite and pressed him on it, and one guy finally said, "Why don't you just say Brad will start this week?" And Wade quickly replied with, "Okay, Brad will start this week."

Which drew a lot of laughter, because it was obvious he was just saying it because the guy told him to. :)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Dante wouldn't play a down here. If they signed him tonight he wouldn't be able to even suit up and play for this offense on Sunday. Then what? Then Tony returns and you cut Dante who did absolutely nothing cause you brought him in too late.

If you don't go with Brad the only option is Brooks.

silver

Reaction score
ZeroClub;2378225 said:
I think you've gotta try to get Bollinger ready. Start Johnson but don't be afraid to pull him in favor of Bollinger if/when the game begins to get out of hand.
I agree. we don't have many options at this point. we are going to need a bunch of trick plays to beat the giants.

silver

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2378293 said:
Dante wouldn't play a down here. If they signed him tonight he wouldn't be able to even suit up and play for this offense on Sunday. Then what? Then Tony returns and you cut Dante who did absolutely nothing cause you brought him in too late.

If you don't go with Brad the only option is Brooks.

i woulndt cut daunte, i would cut either brad or brooks, who bring absolutely nothing to the table. keep daunte in case tony misses time later in the season (bite your toungue). hopefully by then he's learned the playbook

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
Rampage;2378175 said:
were not gonna sign a qb to play 1 game. just stick with johnson, pray for a miracle and see if we can steal one from NY(probably not). than get healthy and get ready for the rematch with washington.

And (god forbid) if Romo goes down again when he returns?

ddh33

Reaction score
I'll say this about Bollinger, he's a gamer. He's not the most talented guy, to say the least. He doesn't have a big arm. He isn't the most accurate guy. He isn't the best scramber. But he somehow does pretty well...

I was always more surprised they didn't give him more of a chance in Minnesota. But when I would watch him in the preseason, he always strugged. Then he could come in and give his team a lift againt someone like the Chargers in a game that mattered.

Reaction score
ddh33;2378354 said:
I'll say this about Bollinger, he's a gamer. He's not the most talented guy, to say the least. He doesn't have a big arm. He isn't the most accurate guy. He isn't the best scramber. But he somehow does pretty well...

I was always more surprised they didn't give him more of a chance in Minnesota. But when I would watch him in the preseason, he always strugged. Then he could come in and give his team a lift againt someone like the Chargers in a game that mattered.

Sounds like a guy I want on my team...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Kilyin;2377952 said:
I nevar new Culpepper was this gooder! Sign him up quicklike!

[youtube]_IOqjQVi-3w[/youtube]

Haha....no one has watched this video yet.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I hated how the NFL was trying to make Culpepper one of the 'faces' of the league a few years ago with him being in several of their commercials. What a clown. Not sure what they were thinking putting a foolish showboat like that in there.

Mansta54

Reaction score
2much2soon;2378886 said:
I hated how the NFL was trying to make Culpepper one of the 'faces' of the league a few years ago with him being in several of their commercials. What a clown. Not sure what they were thinking putting a foolish showboat like that in there.

I didn't see a clown in that video, I saw a QB making plays with his arm and legs then showing emotion afterwards like alot of athletes do...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Mansta54;2378907 said:
I didn't see a clown in that video, I saw a QB making plays with his arm and legs then showing emotion afterwards like alot of athletes do...

I always saw the clown