ESPN: Source: Lions QB Matthew Stafford out with broken bones in back

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
They are sitting him against the bears.

back problems usually linger and the cowboys are next week.

You are right about it lingering. Apparently Stafford has been dealing with this since last season. He has managed to play through it though and was slinging it 60 yds in practice just a couple days ago.

From the espn.com article

Stafford's injury dates back to last season, when he played through the pain and didn't miss a game, even though those around him knew how much he was suffering.

The pain has been so bad this season that Stafford's status for Detroit's Week 4 game against the Kansas City Chiefs was in doubt nearly up until kickoff, according to sources. He passed for 291 yards and three touchdowns in that game.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they are resting him so he can play against the cowboys they don't need him to beat the bears

SoBlue128

Reaction score
With a loss to the Bears that would put them at 3-5-1 so they very well could shut him down for the year. They aren’t catching the Packers and their wildcard hopes are slim to none.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Cowboys defense already in his head I see, this will no doubt be unnecessary mental roughness on the Cowboys:laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, multiple times over the decades. Of course, I don't play professional football...
I'm guessing it wasn't an injury that kept you out of work either.

I'm talking about back issues that are severe enough to greatly limit your mobility. They don't just go away within a week, not to the point of not being concerned with it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It would be weird for him to prioritize dallas over a division game. I think he misses next week too
Yeah that’s what I’m confused about. The Dallas game doesn’t mean as much as the Bears game. Though a NFC win is still crucial especially for a wild card spot. He must not be healthy enough to play then you have to wonder will he be the be the next week?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I'm guessing it wasn't an injury that kept you out of work either.

I'm talking about back issues that are severe enough to greatly limit your mobility. They don't just go away within a week, not to the point of not being concerned with it.

This, hurt my back when bodybuilding and doing heavy back rows like Dorian Yates (former Mr. Olympia). It took months before my back got better and was able to have a friend give me free electrical stimulation treatments after hours to get better. Without that I wouldn't have been able to make it.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I look forward to him starting next week against us and hearing about his friendship with Clayton Kershaw.

:banghead:

reddyuta

Reaction score
With a loss to the Bears that would put them at 3-5-1 so they very well could shut him down for the year. They aren’t catching the Packers and their wildcard hopes are slim to none.

thats not how it works against us,a terrible sam darnold can slice this D up coming back from Mono.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nope. Players always seem to make miraculous recoveries before they play the boys. When they play the Cowboys, they get the chance to show just how “great” of a team they are because everyone is watching. It’s almost like a mini Super Bowl for them. Stafford won’t want to miss that game...
Like Adam Thielen and Devonte Adams

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope he is back and healthy next week. It will be boring watching a Staffordless Lions team.