News: ESPN: Will Cowboys spend big? Barnwell predicts moves for NFC East

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
So then, what is your answer to it? Sit it out, wait and see, and what if Dak blows the doors open and takes us to the NFCC and wins it, and then a SB and wins it???? what then? What's his worth to us then??? If they sign him now, I say they save money in the long run, wait it out and it may just come back to bite you. Is he worth 26, 28 MIL?? I don't know, but I damn well betcha MN is sucking wind right about now for the deal they gave Cousins, and HE in the world of QB's and most minds on here blows our gimpy arm, slow processing QB away. Hummmmm what will you do. I'll wait and see your grand idea on where and what and how and how much it's all worth. BTW Cousins, can't hold a candle to DP. DP OWNS his butt last 3 seasons. So much for the gimpy Dak P.
I had to do a double. For a second or two, I thought you were replying to yourself. :lmao:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"Another Romo" - he didn't get worse! If Prescott can throw 34 TDs and 9 interceptions in his last full season then pay him whatever.

Romo got hurt, not worse, I know that but the point is he was being paid but wasn't on the field. If Dak can't get this team to the SB or the NFC championship game at least, and is cut or benched, then you're still paying him but he's not playing, was my point...

Swagger

Reaction score
Lynch and Cook both busts at this point, how did Dallas "miss out" on flops? "Missed out" would mean they flourished and Dallas could have had them but got Dak instead.

I would submit the Cowboys "dodged a bullet" by not getting Lynch or Cook. And I was a Cook supporter when he was available in the draft...

Hard to say really especially about Lynch as the Broncos O-line has been awful for years. Evidence to date isn't in his favour but he didn't have the same opportunity as Prescott.

It's very difficult to compare Prescott with any other QB on other teams as no other QB with similar experience has had the assistance on offense that he has over the past three years.

Swagger

Reaction score
Romo got hurt, not worse, I know that but the point is he was being paid but wasn't on the field. If Dak can't get this team to the SB or the NFC championship game at least, and is cut or benched, then you're still paying him but he's not playing, was my point...
I agree about the dead cap space

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Hard to say really especially about Lynch as the Broncos O-line has been awful for years. Evidence to date isn't in his favour but he didn't have the same opportunity as Prescott.

It's very difficult to compare Prescott with any other QB on other teams as no other QB with similar experience has had the assistance on offense that he has over the past three years.

Agreed, but in the absence of going back in time and switching out quarterbacks and teams, I have to go with what's actually happened - neither Lynch or Cook has done anything of note in the NFL...

CPanther95

Reaction score
Lynch and Cook both busts at this point, how did Dallas "miss out" on flops? "Missed out" would mean they flourished and Dallas could have had them but got Dak instead.

I would submit the Cowboys "dodged a bullet" by not getting Lynch or Cook. And I was a Cook supporter when he was available in the draft...

That was his point. They tried to get them, but missed out (Cowboys' FO view at the time).

...and do you want those same people shopping for a QB again - or are they better off riding with Dak.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well here's the issue, 6 year contract, average $26.66 mil a year. Right now someone like Stafford, who's hardly sniffed the playoffs, averages $27 mil. Cousins? $28 mil. Just what will a top quarterback cost in, say, 2024? I suspect upwards of $35 mil a year, or more. So locking Dak in for $26.66 mil means (assuming he develops into a top qb, or the team does and he's the starter) he'll be a bargain in 2024. And with the cap going up it's average for the last 5 years, about $8 mil, that means by 2024 the cap will be at $217 mil, so Dak costs the Cowboys only about 11% of the cap.

That's the rosy scenario.

On the other hand, if he gets better and you don't sign him, his value will be more like $30 mil, since the top qb salaries go up just about every year, and who knows what the team will need in another year? Zeke gets a chronic injury, Freddy's GBS flares up and he has to retire, Martin's shoulder goes out, etc. and now you need help big time, right NOW.

Of course you can sign him, and if he never gets better, or gets worse, you've got another Romo on your hands, dead cap eats you alive.

That's the doom and gloom scenario.

Really a shot in the dark, actually Dak not improving is at least a bit more likely, he's had 3 years in the league and still has some of his same issues, though Moore maybe can help him there. Just another unknown.

But one things for sure, whatever the Cowboys do, a lot of folks here won't like it!:grin:

:clap::clap::clap:puzzling some of the smartest posters/fans can't see this. They're fixated on the raw numbers, overlooking he's simply part of a skyrocketing salary rush at the most important starting position in the NFL.

foofighters

Reaction score
meh...I feel like it doesn't matter who we get because having Jason and Jerry around only gives us a range of 7 wins to 10 wins each season with maybe getting one game in the playoffs and our playoffs are determined on how the other three NFCE teams are.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
logo4.jpg

cern

Reaction score
we need to bring in guys who are tough. just like tom brady said a week or two ago about why the pats are so good. we aren't a tough team. too many players, some of them our top players always hurt. the list is long on both sides of the ball.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
So then, what is your answer to it? Sit it out, wait and see, and what if Dak blows the doors open and takes us to the NFCC and wins it, and then a SB and wins it???? what then? What's his worth to us then??? If they sign him now, I say they save money in the long run, wait it out and it may just come back to bite you. Is he worth 26, 28 MIL?? I don't know, but I damn well betcha MN is sucking wind right about now for the deal they gave Cousins, and HE in the world of QB's and most minds on here blows our gimpy arm, slow processing QB away. Hummmmm what will you do. I'll wait and see your grand idea on where and what and how and how much it's all worth. BTW Cousins, can't hold a candle to DP. DP OWNS his butt last 3 seasons. So much for the gimpy Dak P.
No reason to wait anything out the proof is in the pudding. If you want mediocrity stay with him if you want a legit franchise QB you don't sign him to a long term deal.

conner01

Reaction score
"Lawrence's new deal will be somewhere around five years and $100 million, with $60 million due in the first three seasons."

A wise man has been saying this exact same thing. It's nice to see someone agreeing with him.

And as for the cuts, I would go one step further and release or rework Crawford's deal. Cutting him saves nearly $6 million as well than can be put to better use.
You have been on the 20 mil for awhile and I think that’s gonna be the number
As for cuts I wouldn’t cut Crawford myself
Does too many things to help the team and we need more talent at DT not less

conner01

Reaction score
we need to bring in guys who are tough. just like tom brady said a week or two ago about why the pats are so good. we aren't a tough team. too many players, some of them our top players always hurt. the list is long on both sides of the ball.
Being tough and injured have nothing to do with each other

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have been on the 20 mil for awhile and I think that’s gonna be the number
As for cuts I wouldn’t cut Crawford myself
Does too many things to help the team and we need more talent at DT not less

That’s cool. You’re likely in the majority on that.