ET alternative?

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
I dont get the outcry for a free agent S. I like Xavier Woods growth and potential and our secondary was pretty damn good last year, only going to get better. I say go DT in the 2nd and S in the 3rd in the draft and we'll be ok. Hopefully a guy like Justin Houston or Nick Perry on the DL though to potentially replace Gregory.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not specifically an alternate to Earl Thomas but I could see some odd ball signing like LB Barrett if he continues to sit out there or S Phillips from the cards or even a B. Irvin to replace Randy as a rotational rusher.
However even those guys might be too high end price wise for Stephen and his purse strings he clutches so near and dear to his heart. They very well may wind up only addressing their own FAs and heading into the draft.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I am not going to panic because we did not pick up the 30 year old big name 14mil per year FA that just finished a season on IR.

Lots of good Safeties in FA. There will be one at a good price for us.

This was the same thing last off season though. Plenty of quality Safeties at decent prices and we did not make a move.

Hopefully we pick one up this time although i am more concerned about DLine anyway.

I’m with ya a 100%. I’m more concerned about the defensiyline that anything. And if we don’t come to an agreement with Tank I could see him sitting out and that would be a HUGE problem for this team. Much more so than not signing an aging safety to a huge contract.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
I’m with ya a 100%. I’m more concerned about the defensiyline that anything. And if we don’t come to an agreement with Tank I could see him sitting out and that would be a HUGE problem for this team. Much more so than not signing an aging safety to a huge contract.
A good dline makes the secondary better IMO

Sydla

Reaction score
I dont get the outcry for a free agent S. I like Xavier Woods growth and potential and our secondary was pretty damn good last year, only going to get better. I say go DT in the 2nd and S in the 3rd in the draft and we'll be ok. Hopefully a guy like Justin Houston or Nick Perry on the DL though to potentially replace Gregory.

You OK with Heath too? Like his growth and potential?

Cowfan75

Reaction score

I'm more concerned about inevitably breaking the bank on a defensive player who shows up for half a season, much more so than I would have been about signing that aging safety who had 2 INTs against us last season.

Wood

Reaction score
What if we signed J Houston to replace Gregory & signed say HAHa Clinton-Dix? Or Henry Anderson or Ziggy ?
Eric Berry will be cut from KC they cant pay Both him & Mathieu

I have been on Ha Dix from beginning. But stupid money being spent this off-season. Might have to settle on Boston.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before people start talking about Eric Berry...do a simple google search and see how many games he has played in the last 2-3 years.

Yes, please do a google search, and then never bring the name up again!

The guy makes Sean Lee look like Iron Man.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just know that if they draft a safety, it will take 3-4 years before they become the player we need to win now. 2 years ago people were hoping Xavier Woods would be drafted and he's shown some promise but still not the level we need from the position yet (if he is even able to be that guy one day).

Sydla

Reaction score
WHO ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU THINK COMMON SENSE APPLIES HERE????

What common sense is there in saying there are lots of good safeties in FA when in fact, pretty much all of the "good" safeties have already signed contracts elsewhere?

Of the Ten best S available, I think the only one left is Haha and most here hate him and it appears the Skins might be looking at bringing him back now.

Reaction score

Did you see Heath make Goff look like Michael Vick?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I am not going to panic because we did not pick up the 30 year old big name 14mil per year FA that just finished a season on IR.

Lots of good Safeties in FA. There will be one at a good price for us.

This was the same thing last off season though. Plenty of quality Safeties at decent prices and we did not make a move.

Hopefully we pick one up this time although i am more concerned about DLine anyway.

I'm sure there will be one or two left at the bottom of the bargain bin, and it will indeed be a price the Jones boys can live with.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tre Boston but if they didn't move on him last year in that safety market they likely wouldn't do it now