Video: Even Blandino thinks Micah was held vs the Bears

BayAreaCowboy

Reaction score
If they call it every time the game would be 5 hours long

if the other team doesnt hold then Micah wouldve broke the single season sack record by now and thats no exaggeration hes THAT good
Question…I’ve been a member for about 5+ years and even logged in I can never “like” a comment. I can reply but nothing else. Any suggestions?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who cares, for any reason, what Dean Blandino thinks about the NFL? He is the initiator of the "process of the catch" nonsense, which the NFL had to later admit, was incorrectly applied (through a league office phone call to the game officials) to Tony Romo's best chance to get a Super Bowl ring. For a stand up comedian to move to NFL director of officiating, is a joke on all of NFL fans in general. He never officiated a game... not once.

Personally, I will never listen to any word that ever comes out of his mouth. He is muted during all football games.

Blindwino

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes. But you can do everything listed there if they fall into a few of the exceptions to the rules and that is what your average fan doesn't know. Hard to argue a rule when all the pieces aren't even known.

Here are the exceptions:

Blocking Notes:

When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive Holding will not be called:
if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by any defensive player;
if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;
if a Fair Catch is made simultaneously;
if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;
if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close line play;
if a free kick results in a touchback;
if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;
if the action is part of a double-team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either blocker, or is taken to the ground; or
if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position that would normally be holding.
Exception: Holding will be called if the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the blocker’s action.
If a blocker falls on or pushes down a defender whose momentum is carrying him to the ground, Offensive Holding will not be called unless the blocker prevents the defender from rising from the ground.
If the official has not seen the entire action that sends a defender to the ground, Offensive Holding will not be called.

Not always the best wording by the NFL, but according to Micah the ref told him it was not holding because the action occurred away from the point of attack. But since the QB was holding the football in the pocket, this exception, as Blandino explained, should not apply. The last exception, the official has not seen the entire action sounds like it could be a foul but the refs didn't see it.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Question…I’ve been a member for about 5+ years and even logged in I can never “like” a comment. I can reply but nothing else. Any suggestions?
You need to participate more. It will unlock after you have posted more. I had the same question when I started.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
It was holding, yes. No one is disputing that, not even me. But there are exceptions on things that are actually real holds. On this one the ref says it's the backside exception. Judgment call that Parsons couldn't have had an effect. Blandino's made his case and I've made mine, which is if Micah defeated the block immediately or the TE whiffed then yeah, he could have had an effect. But anything less than that TE just getting in the way and even Micah would not have gotten there in time to approach Fields. This is not black and white but people keep trying to make it that.
Total bull****.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Holding in the NFL is like the block/charge call in college basketball in that the officials get it right only about 50% of the time.

Reactions: G2

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Here are the exceptions:

Blocking Notes:

When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive Holding will not be called:
if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by any defensive player;
if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;
if a Fair Catch is made simultaneously;
if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;
if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close line play;
if a free kick results in a touchback;
if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;
if the action is part of a double-team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either blocker, or is taken to the ground; or
if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position that would normally be holding.
Exception: Holding will be called if the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the blocker’s action.
If a blocker falls on or pushes down a defender whose momentum is carrying him to the ground, Offensive Holding will not be called unless the blocker prevents the defender from rising from the ground.
If the official has not seen the entire action that sends a defender to the ground, Offensive Holding will not be called.

Not always the best wording by the NFL, but according to Micah the ref told him it was not holding because the action occurred away from the point of attack. But since the QB was holding the football in the pocket, this exception, as Blandino explained, should not apply. The last exception, the official has not seen the entire action sounds like it could be a foul but the refs didn't see it.

Yup, was just pointing out that you can pull somebody down like that given one of the exceptions applied. As for this play, Fields was in the pocket and moving to the right so he could throw right. So away from where Micah was on a play to where Micah wasn't going to get to. Neither would he have gotten to Fields given the block. Micah actually half bit on the play action so he wasn't thinking rush until after that. Don't know if the ref also factored those things in as well but these are all the things that aren't being talked about.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He's blocked by many

By many weak azzes. I can see blocking someone if they just constantly attack you for no reason. But if someone can't handle a differing opinion on a message board, has no self control to just move past a post they don't like, and actually have to institute parental controls to keep themselves from getting upset then they have issues that go beyond this place. Even more hilarious are those that feel the need to broadcast their lack of self control and weak mindedness to try to garner the camaraderie and support their delicate flower minds crave. I hope likes do the job. Lol. Freakin' be a man and stand in the storm.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
By many weak azzes. I can see blocking someone if they just constantly attack you for no reason. But if someone can't handle a differing opinion on a message board, has no self control to just move past a post they don't like, and actually have to institute parental controls to keep themselves from getting upset then they have issues that go beyond this place. Even more hilarious are those that feel the need to broadcast their lack of self control and weak mindedness to try to garner the camaraderie and support their delicate flower minds crave. I hope likes do the job. Lol. Freakin' be a man and stand in the storm.
Lmao, this might be why they block you. Don't kill the messenger. You'll have to take it up with the folks that don't like you.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Holding in the NFL is like the block/charge call in college basketball in that the officials get it right only about 50% of the time.
Consistency is and has always been my main issue with the officiating.

bigE79

Reaction score
Who cares, for any reason, what Dean Blandino thinks about the NFL? He is the initiator of the "process of the catch" nonsense, which the NFL had to later admit, was incorrectly applied (through a league office phone call to the game officials) to Tony Romo's best chance to get a Super Bowl ring. For a stand up comedian to move to NFL director of officiating, is a joke on all of NFL fans in general. He never officiated a game... not once.

Personally, I will never listen to any word that ever comes out of his mouth. He is muted during all football games.
I will never forget or forgive him for that play, total BS call,that was Tony's best team and best chance to get to the SB,*** you blindino.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Lmao, this might be why they block you. Don't kill the messenger. You'll have to take it up with the folks that don't like you.

No idea who these people are but they'd have to loosen their parental controls before we chatted I'm guessing. Lol.

BayAreaCowboy

Reaction score
If they call it every time the game would be 5 hours long

if the other team doesnt hold then Micah wouldve broke the single season sack record by now and thats no exaggeration hes THAT good
You need to participate more. It will unlock after you have posted more. I had the same question when I started.
Right on. Thanks man

BayAreaCowboy

Reaction score

I think I’ve seen about 20 non called penalties which most were holding or illegal hands to the face. Our defense is held a lot and I’m not surprised by the blatant lack of calls they get. It’s absolute BS. But you gotta play through it and they do.

TheHerd

Reaction score
This is what they said in basketball but the reality is that players and coaches will adjust. What wee are getting is players and coaching taking advantage of the way its called to their benefit. It makes breaking the rules desirable which should be the opposite of policy goals.
The policy goal is more points which get more fringe fans and fuel fantasy football. Basically every rule for the past 30 years has been to generate points or protect players.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No idea who these people are but they'd have to loosen their parental controls before we chatted I'm guessing. Lol.
Yeah, true because you're such a badass.

Can you use "parental controls" in a sentence a 3rd time? I think that will really make it stick.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Consistency is and has always been my main issue with the officiating.
That’s pretty much what everyone wants. But it’s definitely not what we’re getting. There’s inconsistency not just from game to game, but from quarter to quarter. I mentioned college basketball in an earlier post because I’m a huge fan and officiating consistency is even worse there than in the NFL if you can believe it.

Reactions: G2