Ever had a player like Zeke?

starfan1

Reaction score
Do any of you realize a running back is only as good as his offensive line.When you have undrafted young players going against 1st round defensive linemen what do you expect?Zeke ran well when most of our line was second string, but when we had to go to our 3rd and 4th string it is even more difficult.Zeke still runs hard there just isn't many holes with this line.I could have gained yardage with some of the holes the Washington's backs had and I'm 64 years old.
Which makes it even more of a head scratcher as to why they spent a 4th to begin with. Most all of us recognize the lines decline and zekes subsequent decline but when there are yards to be had and he doesn’t get them and he looks a shell of his former self with burst one needs to recognize it’s not only the lines decline

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Roy Williams
Troy Hambrick
Terrence Williams
Terrence Newman
Miles Austin
Tyrone Crawford
Jaylen Smith
Julius Jones
Felix Jones
Anthony Spencer

In my opinion Demarcus Ware was the only exception to getting paid and having his production fall off the face of the earth. Man was a bloody god for us.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has there ever been a player that tricked 90%+ of the forum into thinking he's good, when in fact he was not? Normally when we get a shiny new free agent like Poe or HHCD, then they'll be 10x better according to the forum than they actually are, but Zeke is an endentured player that y'all just continued to ignore his lack of effectiveness.

I mean this offseason the list of positions he held according to y'all included:
Best all around RB in the league
Best player on the team
Top 5 RB in the league

Completely asinine
Zeke is ok if he can quit fumbling.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has there ever been a player that tricked 90%+ of the forum into thinking he's good, when in fact he was not? Normally when we get a shiny new free agent like Poe or HHCD, then they'll be 10x better according to the forum than they actually are, but Zeke is an endentured player that y'all just continued to ignore his lack of effectiveness.

I mean this offseason the list of positions he held according to y'all included:
Best player on the team
Top 5 RB in the league

Completely asinine
So...you're dredging up what people said, rightly so....3-4 years ago...for what purpose?

Who is "ya'll" that said that at the start of this season? Maybe a couple? Attempting to root for their own team? How fing dare them. The nerve.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Zeke was a perfect fit in his 1st 3 years winning 2 rushing tittles and should have been a 3rd. But things don't stay the same long in this NFL. He's neither the same nor is this OL. Waste of a good 90 million when we had him for far less under contract. One of the dumbest decisions we've ever seen this front office make.
In hindsight you are 100% correct

817Gill

Reaction score
Once we cut him, he will get one more decent contract and that will probably be it.
Chicago. Book it. Said he wanted to be a Cowboy or a Bear when he was coming out. I can already see him going for 3 a pop at Soldier Field.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So...you're dredging up what people said, rightly so....3-4 years ago...for what purpose?

Who is "ya'll" that said that at the start of this season? Maybe a couple? Attempting to root for their own team? How fing dare them. The nerve.
The reason it is brought up is literally there in the subject post. Read it again I guess.
You think only a couple of posters thought he was a top RB coming into the season? Hell you were one of them.

Are you really that dense? I doubt it's memory so that must be what it is.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Zeke's always reminded me of guys like Barry Foster, Rodney Hampton, and Natron Means from the 90s. There was Emmitt, Barry,and Thurman and then these pretenders to the throne. Have a couple flashes and they're next up then completely fall off or get the big contract and crater. Barry Foster is closest to Zeke with his contract situation. Blew up in Pittsburgh was the annointed next great one and signed with Carolina to be the centerpiece and was total bust. Zeke's at least squeezing more yards out.

Some running backs are productive and fumblers.that has always been Zeke. You can overlook it when you're winning more often than not. We are losing and now it's a contributing factor to that. Reminds me of Tiki Barber Barber early on in his career.

PurpleHaze22

Reaction score
So you are admitting you were fooled he was good simply by looking at bulk rushing yards? It doesn't matter to you if he got those yards efficiently or if they helped the team just as long as he got them by running a bunch of times?

That seems to be common on here.

Having three all-pros in front of you, having the most rushing attempts by 18%, so then he leads the league in rushing yards impresses you?
2016 Zeke leads the league in rushing.Cowboys win NFC East.Also tie Franchise best record 13-3.2018 Zeke leads the league in rushing.Cowboys win NFC east.Seems like he's helping the team.Has most rushing attempts because he's helping the team.They wouldn't give him so many carries if he wasn't efficient.3 all pro's.IThink at least 1 of them was voted on what he did early in his career before he started getting injured.Also about the a running back being as good as his line.No running back is successful without a line that gives him a chance to get started.I should know a little bit about this being a former college running back.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Another thread filled with blind people, trying to describe the color of paint.

ghst187

Reaction score
It drove me nuts when Emmitt Smith, himself, said back in 2016 that Zeke is better than Emmitt ever was as a RB. Soon afterwards, many others started parroting the same thing during the next several years. Back in October 2018, even Skip Bayless said Zeke was way better than Emmitt ever was.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...lliott-is-better-than-Emmitt-Smith-122802161/

So many on here and all over social media were following along and saying the same thing ever since.

Now? Nothing but crickets...

I've always liked Zeke, but he is no Emmitt. Not even close.

zeke undoubtedly had much more natural talent than Emmitt ever did. However what separates the two that is really coming to bear now is the fact that emmitt was a ferocious competitor with a relentless drive to get better and win championships. Zeke is a ten cent brain with little motivation to win who seems to be getting worse.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
zeke undoubtedly had much more natural talent than Emmitt ever did. However what separates the two that is really coming to bear now is the fact that emmitt was a ferocious competitor with a relentless drive to get better and win championships. Zeke is a ten cent brain with little motivation to win who seems to be getting worse.
Yup. Huge difference in work ethic.

jay94

Reaction score
Dirty yards are where he gets used these days and I expect we'll see him as a grinder in a RBBC for the next 2 to 4 years before we move on.

Not an ideal outcome but it's looking like what we're gonna get for our investment.

His career could go the path of Frank Gore, just grinding yards for a long time.

His current trajectory he will be out of the league before he hits 30.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Best player on the team
Top 5 RB in the league

Completely asinine
He's a god in Cabo resort El Puerco.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Best player on the team
Top 5 RB in the league

Completely asinine

Zeke was good.. He was really good.

RBs fall off quick though.

I think he’s still got Something but it was stupid to pay him.. Like I said at the time.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The problem with Zeke is that he bulked up to withstand the hits of being a bell cow, but he lost his breakaway speed as a result. That is why he cant break off any big runs anymore and is primarily used as a power back now running between the tackles.

Now you also have the issue with him not exactly staying in the best shape, constantly fumbling the ball, and getting paid 2 yrs early which factors into motivation. I mean, if I got $90 million in the bank am I really going to run some extra laps at practice? Do I want to go home and watch film study of my opponent this week or should I just play some video games instead?

lockster

Reaction score
Zeke is a narcissists, he don't give a rat's ba tooty about anything but money and showing off. He pulls himself out of games constantly. Doesn't care about ball security. Is slower than a dead granny, and too dang Fatt!!!! He's a junior fat Mike in the making. Over paid. I bet he's worn out from laughing about the size of his contract is why he's too tired to stay in games. I didn't like emmitts attitude either, but at least he had pride to try and be the best.
Zeke lazy fat overpaid
J Smith dumb, wimp , overpaid show off
Crawford, use to give effort, but injured always and overpaid
C. Jones should have been replaced two years ago
Xavier woods, just don't have it to play safety, probably too slow for corner? Bad attitude
Connor Williams not built for guard
Pollard good RB, bad kick returner
Lee time retire and coach
Lawrence, overpaid

aria

Reaction score
Does he get to find any rhythm though ? They phase him out every game . 10 carries isn’t enough . I’m
Not saying he’s not in decline but we really need to see what’s there and give him 20 touches .
Can you imagine the amount of fumbles he would have if we gave him the ball even more? He’s a liability at this point, he’s given other teams more points then he’s rushed for.