Video: Everson Walls on Undisputed

Johnny23

Reaction score
Heard something on the radio years ago where some former Cowboy players and others under Landry reached out to Jerry to put Bob Hayes in the ROH to help get him in the Hall of Fame. Not saying it’s fact just saying that’s what I heard. It’s a tough sell on the Hall of Fame voters to induct a player that isn’t in their own teams Hall of Fame. If they’re not good enough for their own teams Hall of Fame it’s going to be very difficult to convince the committee they’re good enough for the Hall of Fame. If you’re part of the Hall of Fame committee you’re asking yourself why isn’t that player in their own teams Hall of Fame? That’s a clear strike in the eyes of the Hall of Fame voters.

That's an oversight by Jerry and him not respecting the history of this team. Bullet Bob is where he rightfully belongs in the Hall of Fame and the Cowboys ROH. We have the zone defense because of Bullet Bob, speedy players like Brandin Cooks have a place in the NFL because of Bullet Bob.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's an oversight by Jerry and him not respecting the history of this team. Bullet Bob is where he rightfully belongs in the Hall of Fame and the Cowboys ROH. We have the zone defense because of Bullet Bob, speedy players like Brandin Cooks have a place in the NFL because of Bullet Bob.

I don’t believe Walls is an oversight by Jerry. The only player that’s not in the ROH that I believe should be there is Harvey Martin. During his heyday sacks weren’t an official stat. He had 20 sacks one season. He was a big part of our Super Bowl win in 1977 earning co MVP honors with Randy White but White overshadowed him and canceled him out.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I don’t believe Walls is an oversight by Jerry. The only player that’s not in the ROH that I believe should be there is Harvey Martin. During his heyday sacks weren’t an official stat. He had 20 sacks one season. He was a big part of our Super Bowl win in 1977 earning co MVP honors with Randy White but White overshadowed him and canceled him out.
I was more referring to Bullet Bob getting in in 2001 way overdue. And I agree Harvey needs to be. To me as you is the oversight. As you know being in the Team's HOF isn't a gaurentee, Lee Roy Jordan has all the credentials of a HOF, pro bowl, all-pro championships, all decade team yet isn't in.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was more referring to Bullet Bob getting in in 2001 way overdue. And I agree Harvey needs to be. To me as you is the oversight. As you know being in the Team's HOF isn't a gaurentee, Lee Roy Jordan has all the credentials of a HOF, pro bowl, all-pro championships, all decade team yet isn't in.

The Landry regime had 13 years to put Bob Hayes in the ROH he retired in 1975. Don’t know if it’s true but I heard Landry was bitter towards Hayes for running routes with his hands in his pockets during the Ice Bowl. I heard that Hayes didn’t want to go out for the second half and Landry forced him. There were those who said that hurt his Hall of Fame chances.

The fact that Hayes was a pioneer who’s speed created a defense to try and defend him got him into the ROH and HOF. Lee Roy Jordan and Chuck Howley both have HOF credentials but the big losses to the Packers in the 60s have kept them out. Some of the players they played against in those games have gone in.

Aven8

Reaction score

Yet we put Haley in the ROH. Still makes me sick to this day! I loved what Haley brought. But he was only here 3-4 years. Not deserving IMO, even though he was a stud!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yet we put Haley in the ROH. Still makes me sick to this day! I loved what Haley brought. But he was only here 3-4 years. Not deserving IMO, even though he was a stud!

Yeah I don’t like the idea of Haley being in the ROH. He’s in our ROH and SF’s. He helped the Cowboys and contributed greatly to those three Super Bowl wins in the 90s but like you said he wasn’t here very long. He played longer in San Francisco then he did in Dallas. I believe he ended up retiring a 49er. Eddie Debartolo presented Haley at the HOF inductions. Jerry was a (bleeping) fool for putting him in.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Lee Roy Jordan belongs in Canton...its a crime he isnt in.

as for The Ring of Honor:
OL Ralph Neely,Blaine Nye,John Niland
TEs Billy Joe Dupree,Jay Novacek
DEs Ed "too tall" Jones,Harvey Martin
DT Jethro Pugh
DBs Everson Walls,Cornell Green,Bill Bates

cowboyec

Reaction score
The Landry regime had 13 years to put Bob Hayes in the ROH he retired in 1975. Don’t know if it’s true but I heard Landry was bitter towards Hayes for running routes with his hands in his pockets during the Ice Bowl. I heard that Hayes didn’t want to go out for the second half and Landry forced him. There were those who said that hurt his Hall of Fame chances.

The fact that Hayes was a pioneer who’s speed created a defense to try and defend him got him into the ROH and HOF. Lee Roy Jordan and Chuck Howley both have HOF credentials but the big losses to the Packers in the 60s have kept them out. Some of the players they played against in those games have gone in.
Tex made the calls regarding the R.O.H.
Lee Roy Jordan should have been in sooner but Tex held a personal grudge over his contract hold-out.
Tex's vision was it would be reserved for a select few.

cowboyec

Reaction score
for some reason I thought Chuck Howley was already in Canton but he's not.
Both he and Lee Roy Jordan were 2 of the best LBs from their era...lost in the over-whelming shadows of Butkus and Nitchke.
They both belong...and will eventually get in....if they don't its a shame.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tex made the calls regarding the R.O.H.
Lee Roy Jordan should have been in sooner but Tex held a personal grudge over his contract hold-out.
Tex's vision was it would be reserved for a select few.

Tex was part of the Landry regime and I’m sure he listened to opinions. The original vision of the ROH was to honor the players who helped pave the way to the Cowboys first championship. The ROH started with Bob Lilly who was the Cowboys first draft pick. Once the team added the players who paved the way the criteria changed. The honor is supposed to be for a very select few but many here want half the franchise inducted. Just look at all the many names that have been mentioned.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Tex was part of the Landry regime and I’m sure he listened to opinions. The original vision of the ROH was to honor the players who helped pave the way to the Cowboys first championship. The ROH started with Bob Lilly who was the Cowboys first draft pick. Once the team added the players who paved the way the criteria changed. The honor is supposed to be for a very select few but many here want half the franchise inducted. Just look at all the many names that have been mentioned.
Tex is the one who came up with the idea of The Ring of Honor.....his idea for who got in went beyond just the first championship..I highly recommend the book "Tex:the man who built the Dallas Cowboys" by Bob St.John....he wanted it to be a select few.Part of his criteria...they started and finished their careers as Cowboys.

In my opinion guys like "too tall",Harvey Martin belong in the Ring as much as Charles Haley.Haley was great and was that final piece to a championship puzzle....but he was a 9er first.Too Tall and Harvey were lifers.
Too Tall revolutionized the art of the pass block....and was a great run defender.He recorded over a 1,000 tackles and since sacks were not an official stat when he started....his real number is not officially known...the Cowboys credited him with over 100 sacks in his career.
Harvey was one of the great sack artists ever....unofficially,he should have been credited with 23 sacks in a season.
They were....in my biased opinion....the greatest DE duo of the modern era.What Howley and Lee Roy were to LBs...Too Tall and Harvey were to DEs.
They transcended their era.....all 4 belong in Canton.(&Everson ;) )
Too Tall,Harvey&Everson belong in R.O.H.
but Im totally biased.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tex is the one who came up with the idea of The Ring of Honor.....his idea for who got in went beyond just the first championship..I highly recommend the book "Tex:the man who built the Dallas Cowboys" by Bob St.John....he wanted it to be a select few.Part of his criteria...they started and finished their careers as Cowboys.

Chuck Howley started his career with Chicago and spent two years there. Hardly played but that’s where his career began. I’ve had a number of discussions on the ROH it usually comes up during the offseason. I haven’t read the book and not every book is accurate. I’ve given my opinion.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
He couldn’t run or cover like Deion. Although Walls had 57 career INT’s he only had one career pick six. He made very few impactful INT’s. I’m not trying to hate on him I’m just being honest about him. I can remember a game where he got beat three times for a touchdown.

Fair assessment. Still a great corner

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
No one wants half the franchise inducted into the Ring of Honor. Almost every name mentioned has been deserving. This, 5 time Superbowl winning franchise, has had many outstanding players: Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Jay Novajek, Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinea, Cliff Harris, Harvey Martin, To Tall Jones, Lee Roy Jordan, Chuck Howley, Pat Donovan, John Niland, Everson Walls etc. etc. Why do you want to keep outstanding players like this out of the Ring of Honor?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No one wants half the franchise inducted into the Ring of Honor. Almost every name mentioned has been deserving. This, 5 time Superbowl winning franchise, has had many outstanding players: Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Jay Novajek, Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinea, Cliff Harris, Harvey Martin, To Tall Jones, Lee Roy Jordan, Chuck Howley, Pat Donovan, John Niland, Everson Walls etc. etc. Why do you want to keep outstanding players like this out of the Ring of Honor?

This topic comes up every year and I’ve lost track of all the names that are mentioned who some feel deserve the honor. Tuinea, Donovan and Niland aren’t even close to ROH candidates. They were good players but get real. All you’re doing is proving my point.

cowboyec

Reaction score
John Niland went to 6 pro-bowls...one of only 4 OL in Cowboys history to do that including Ray Wright,Larry Allen and Nate.
he is a SB champ and made all-pro 3x.
he was regarded as one of the best OL of his era.He belongs in the Ring...in my opinion.

Pat Donovan never missed a game in 9yrs...4x pro-bowler...was never all-pro but won a SB and played in 6 nfc championship games.He was apart of that great OL with Herb Scott and Tom Rafferty that blocked for Tony D.
R.O.H???.....he's in the discussion at least.

Ralph Neely is the one who needs to go in.
all-pro 4x....2x pro-bowler.....2x Super Bowl champ and was voted to Nfl's all-decade team of the 60's.

Neely,Niland,Too Tall,Harvey and Everson are among the elite who played for us....they are R.O.H. worthy.