CB-Mel Renfro
S-Cliff Harris
S-Darren Woodson
CB-Everson Walls

special nod to Cornell Green.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
no....he'll best be remembered for being the only rookie to ever lead the league in Ints his 1st yr.....and go on to do it 3x in his career.
He was Ty Law before Ty Law.
Other than Mel Renfro,he is Dallas' greatest in-house CB we ever had.THAT is what he'll be remembered for.

Maybe those in Cowboy Nation will best remember him that way. Walls had a lot of INT’s but he also got beat a lot. He took a lot of chances. He only ran a 4.7 40. He was a very good player for the Cowboys but not a Hall of Fame player. He had enough INT’s to qualify for the Hall of Fame but got beat too much.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Maybe those in Cowboy Nation will best remember him that way. Walls had a lot of INT’s but he also got beat a lot. He took a lot of chances. He only ran a 4.7 40. He was a very good player for the Cowboys but not a Hall of Fame player. He had enough INT’s to qualify for the Hall of Fame but got beat too much.
he was a great CB in a great era of football.
he is hall worthy.
agree to disagree.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
he was a great CB in a great era of football.
he is hall worthy.
agree to disagree.

He was great at picking the ball off but he got beat an awful lot, which is why he’s not in the Hall of Fame. He had 57 INT’s which is top 10 all-time. When you take a lot of chances you’re going to come up big a lot and you’re going to get beat a lot. “The Catch” hurt his career. Don’t care to get into a big debate over this it’s a matter of opinion so we’ll agree to disagree.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
disagree.
he'll get in.

He won’t get in the HOF too many corners ahead of him. If he was Hall of Fame worthy he would be in the Cowboys ROH. The fact that he’s not in his own teams Hall of Fame points to the flaws he had. Larry Brown had more big INT’s than Everson Walls.

cowboyec

Reaction score
He won’t get in the HOF too many corners ahead of him. If he was Hall of Fame worthy he would be in the Cowboys ROH. The fact that he’s not in his own teams Hall of Fame points to the flaws he had.
no...its points to the one who is making those decisions about the R.O.H.
Everson
Too Tall
Harvey Martin
Cornell Green
and many of those GREAT Cowboy oline-men shouldve been in the Ring a long time ago.
The process seems to favor the 90's Cowboys over the Landry Cowboys.
But I think its about to change.
Everson was a GREAT corner...one of the best of his era.
and yes...we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
no...its points to the one who is making those decisions about the R.O.H.
Everson
Too Tall
Harvey Martin
Cornell Green
and many of those GREAT Cowboy line-men shouldve been in the Ring a long time ago.
The process seems to favor the 90's Cowboys over the Landry Cowboys.
But I think its about to change.
Everson was a GREAT corner...one of the best of his era.
and yes...we'll agree to disagree.

The Cowboys ROH is special and you can’t put every player in it but good luck convincing the Homer’s of that. None of the players you listed are in the Hall of Fame. Harvey Martin got overshadowed by Randy White. He was a terrific player and it’s arguable that he should be in the ROH but he’s not. Ed too tall Jones was a terrific player for the Cowboys and an argument could be made for him being in the Cowboys ROH. Randy White overshadowed both Martin and Too Tall.

Cornell Green was a very good player for the Cowboys but he got overshadowed by Mel Renfro. Walls was a “very good” player but will never be added to the Cowboys ROH or be inducted into the HOF. Every player that Jerry has inducted into the ROH has contributed to a championship for the Cowboys. We’ll just agree to disagree.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
One of my earliest visual memories of the cowboys when I was a kid was seeing that fan made banner at texas stadium of Everson Walls. Man I wish I could find a picture of it. I know some of you will remember what I"m talking about.

cowboyec

Reaction score
One of my earliest visual memories of the cowboys when I was a kid was seeing that fan made banner at texas stadium of Everson Walls. Man I wish I could find a picture of it. I know some of you will remember what I"m talking about.
Up Against The Wall.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Walls has been on two SI covers. The joy of victory and the agony of defeat.
zUvb8w.jpg

k8c7Fy.jpg

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Walls was something else! A true ball hawk that we have all coveted around here for years. For those that weren't old enough to see him play he was magnetic. 11 Int's as a rookie, and 7 in only 9 games the next season during the shortened strike year. 18 picks in 1.5 years! Amazing.

And a Undrafted Cowboys pickup to boot. One of the all time greats. No mouth Like Deion, not afraid to tackle..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No mouth Like Deion, not afraid to tackle..

He couldn’t run or cover like Deion. Although Walls had 57 career INT’s he only had one career pick six. He made very few impactful INT’s. I’m not trying to hate on him I’m just being honest about him. I can remember a game where he got beat three times for a touchdown.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry would have to add Walls to the Cowboys ROH for him to have any prayer at the Hall of Fame and I don’t see that happening. See if you can find any player in the Hall of Fame who’s not in their own teams Hall of Fame. Don’t think for a second that the voters wouldn’t take notice of that. The Cowboys ROH is the most noteworthy of any teams ROH.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Another hurdle for Walls he was apart of those three straight NFC title games losses in the early 80s. The Cowboys started coming way down after that. Part of getting to the Hall of Fame is playing on real successful teams. Although Walls has a Super Bowl ring with the Giants he was nearing the end of his career at that point. He even admitted Dwight Clark’s catch hurt his career some. He pointed out how often that play is shown. He got fooled and beat on that play and it hasn’t helped him. Historical plays can do wonders for a players career and they can also do a lot of damage to them if you’re on the bad end.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Heard something on the radio years ago where some former Cowboy players and others under Landry reached out to Jerry to put Bob Hayes in the ROH to help get him in the Hall of Fame. Not saying it’s fact just saying that’s what I heard. It’s a tough sell on the Hall of Fame voters to induct a player that isn’t in their own teams Hall of Fame. If they’re not good enough for their own teams Hall of Fame it’s going to be very difficult to convince the committee they’re good enough for the Hall of Fame. If you’re part of the Hall of Fame committee you’re asking yourself why isn’t that player in their own teams Hall of Fame? That’s a clear strike in the eyes of the Hall of Fame voters.