Video: Everson Walls on Undisputed

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He was great at picking the ball off but he got beat an awful lot, which is why he’s not in the Hall of Fame. He had 57 INT’s which is top 10 all-time. When you take a lot of chances you’re going to come up big a lot and you’re going to get beat a lot. “The Catch” hurt his career. Don’t care to get into a big debate over this it’s a matter of opinion so we’ll agree to disagree.
He had 2 INT’s in that game too. He was a big time play maker. He didn’t sit back and let guys catch 15 yard ins or outs on him all day, like almost every corner we have had in the past, except a handful. Walls should be in the Hall of Fame and just because he is not doesn’t mean he isn’t worthy of being in.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lester Hayes isn’t in the Hall of Fame. Granted he had 18 fewer career INT’s than Walls but he had 13 INT’s in 1980 which was only one off the all-time NFL record. He had over 200 return yards that season on INT’s and he has 4 career pick sixes. Even though he had 18 fewer INT’s than Walls he had 68 more return yards. He was also apart of two championship teams. Not easy getting in the Hall of Fame as a CB.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
no....he'll best be remembered for being the only rookie to ever lead the league in Ints his 1st yr.....and go on to do it 3x in his career.
He was Ty Law before Ty Law.
Other than Mel Renfro,he is Dallas' greatest in-house CB we ever had.THAT is what he'll be remembered for.

Mmmmm.... I'll go with the catch. That's what I remember him for.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Jerry would have to add Walls to the Cowboys ROH for him to have any prayer at the Hall of Fame and I don’t see that happening. See if you can find any player in the Hall of Fame who’s not in their own teams Hall of Fame. Don’t think for a second that the voters wouldn’t take notice of that. The Cowboys ROH is the most noteworthy of any teams ROH.
Yeah, and it’s ridiculous Jerry doesn’t have more players in OUR Ring of Honor. He’ll probably put himself and Garrett in before The next player.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Lester Hayes isn’t in the Hall of Fame. Granted he had 18 fewer career INT’s than Walls but he had 13 INT’s in 1980 which was only one off the all-time NFL record. He had over 200 return yards that season on INT’s and he has 4 career pick sixes. Even though he had 18 fewer INT’s than Walls he had 68 more return yards. He was also apart of two championship teams. Not easy getting in the Hall of Fame as a CB.
Lester Hayes should be in the Hall too!!, but your right it is tough to get in as a CB.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He won’t get in the HOF too many corners ahead of him. If he was Hall of Fame worthy he would be in the Cowboys ROH. The fact that he’s not in his own teams Hall of Fame points to the flaws he had. Larry Brown had more big INT’s than Everson Walls.
The fact Everson Walls is not in OUR Ring if Honor only means Jerry makes the decision regarding who gets in, not that he is not worthy to be in the Hall of Fame. Larry Brown made the most of his ability which I really respect, but the 2 huge interceptions he got in the Super Bowl were thrown right to him. Also, the Hall of Fame is a popularity contest. Their are many great players not in the Hall of Fame: Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris and especially Harvey Nartin who by the way has the unofficial sack record.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was the man when I first started watching the Cowboys.

Shortly after I realized how irrelevant he and his ilk were.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Haynes and Hayes were one of the best CB tandems I ever saw.
Completely agree. Really Physical at the line of scrimmage, especially Lester. He could play some serious bump and run man to man. Hard to break free when he got his hands ( stickum ) on you.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Completely agree. Really Physical at the line of scrimmage, especially Lester. He could play some serious bump and run man to man. Hard to break free when he got his hands ( stickum ) on you.
they should allow the use of stick'um.
Mike Haynes was an artist.

cowboyec

Reaction score
in 83...the Cowboys couldve drafted Albert Lewis in the 2nd Rd.
Imagine a secondary with Everson Walls AND Albert Lewis.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The fact Everson Walls is not in OUR Ring if Honor only means Jerry makes the decision regarding who gets in, not that he is not worthy to be in the Hall of Fame. Larry Brown made the most of his ability which I really respect, but the 2 huge interceptions he got in the Super Bowl were thrown right to him. Also, the Hall of Fame is a popularity contest. Their are many great players not in the Hall of Fame: Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris and especially Harvey Nartin who by the way has the unofficial sack record.
All 3 of them should be in.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, and it’s ridiculous Jerry doesn’t have more players in OUR Ring of Honor. He’ll probably put himself and Garrett in before The next player.
They will build a statue of Garrett right next to the one of Coach Landry and it will clap as the visitors go into the stadium. lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Jerry receives input on who should be in the ROH. He makes the decision but he listens and knows the history of the team. Yes the INT’s were thrown right to Larry Brown in the SB but he made the plays. There’s a TE in the Hall of Fame who dropped a ball that was thrown right to him in the Super Bowl and it helped cost us a championship.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I have no issue with the number of players in the ROH. It’s supposed to be a special honor but if it were left up to Cowboys Nation on who gets in Jerry would have to add to the stadium to hold all the names.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He had 2 INT’s in that game too. He was a big time play maker. He didn’t sit back and let guys catch 15 yard ins or outs on him all day, like almost every corner we have had in the past, except a handful. Walls should be in the Hall of Fame and just because he is not doesn’t mean he isn’t worthy of being in.

Yes he did but everyone remembers the play he didn’t make. That’s the one that’s ingrained in everyone’s memory and has been put in a time capsule. I give Walls a lot of credit for playing receivers tight. He played receivers like a 4.4 corner but ran a 4.7. His lack of speed got him beat a lot. I criticized TNew through the years for playing not to get beat which is why he never had many INT’s. He had terrible ball skills but Walls had outstanding ball skills. I’ve given all the reasons why I don’t believe Walls will ever be in the Cowboys ROH or HOF. Don Meredith and Don Perkins are the only two Cowboys in the ROH who didn’t contribute to a Cowboys championship but they helped pave the way.

Since they were added the criteria has changed and only the greatest Cowboy players who helped lead the team to a championship are being added. The only player who will break that pattern is Jason Witten. Demarcus Ware is another player who could possibly be added to the ROH despite not contributing to a championship with the Cowboys.