Video: Every Romo TD

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Okay...even so.....I wouldn't use just ONE comment to characterize the situation.

In the spirit of fairness...I will also amend my comment. "Hardly anyone says it was "ALWAYS the defense". :)
Well, Erod has a tendency to exaggerate just how bad things are. I've already gone down this path with him regarding our running game where I showed him the how we actually ran the ball pretty effectively from an efficiency standpoint but we didn't run the ball often. Then it became an issue of us not being able to convert 3rd and short rushing the ball, and I showed him were we converted those pretty well too, with the exception of one year.

The problem is it seems some people use the Cowboys worst line, worst defense, worst rushing season to try and prove Romo had the deck stacked against him and it's not the case.

And it happens on both sides. People claim Romo always threw game ending interceptions. No, he didn't. He did it a few times. But those times get exaggerated.

zack

Reaction score
This is certainly the perception and I know it did happen sometimes. I just don't think it happened quite as often as people think it happened and it's over-exaggerated to the point it's difficult to have a rational conversation because they don't think the defense did anything other than suck. I don't dispute the defense wasn't great and sometimes they were flat out awful but they weren't always complete trash.

I remember another perception people had that they could not drop during Romo's career which resurfaced again this year. And that is claims the offense went 3 and out all the time and left the defense out to dry, forcing them to get gassed. Well, that perception was complete BS too. We have actually been very good at not going 3 & out and having one of the best time of possessions per drive. People just remembered the 3 & outs much better. I suspect something similar will happen here because I'm also going to look to see how many stops the defense made in that time frame too. Of the top of my head, I remember 2015 being bad for the defense getting late stops though, but that impacted Weeden and Cassel rather than Romo. But, we'll see. I may have some time over the next 3 days to look at it more closely.

If you probably view the three 8-8 seasons you will find a lot of data to support that the defense was not very good. I just looked at 2011 season and there was 5 games that the defense basically gave up the game winning scores, Lions, Pats, Cardinals and the Giants twice. This is where the non-sense started from fans that didn't like Romo. Then there was the fans that made up the "win or go home stat" and placed it all on the QB. He was constantly put in these situations to pull the game out at the end. Conversely, looking at his statistical numbers vs the QB's that won SB's, you will find that almost every one of them had a top 10 defense at some point and time. Roethlisberger is the only quarterback to win the Super Bowl with his 22.6 passer rating, which is the lowest in Super Bowl history by a winning quarterback. He threw two interceptions in the red zone. But he's always been surrounded by strong defenses.

Then there is the argument about the Giants defense and stating that they weren't statistically good during the season. Yes, partially true, but in both their SB runs, the Giants held opponents to 16 points or less, but Eli is named the hero in all of this. :)

zack

Reaction score
Not accurate, the defenses were not nearly as bad as some suggest.
It's interesting that some fans blame Prescott for the LA playoff loss and not the awful defense that allowed 275 rushing yards. Or our hero RB that ran 47. Why does the current QB not get the same excuses that the legend of Romo?

Beg to differ and that is ridiculous to blame Prescott for the LA playoff loss. Believe me, people have been light on Dak compared to Romo. How about 2017 vs the Seahawks. No one called that a win or go home game vs the Seahawks. How did Dak perform in that one? 2 picks and a 52 passer rating....

I like Dak, he's a good QB, but I still believe that Romo should have been the starter when he was healthy. We would have went farther...oh well...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Beg to differ and that is ridiculous to blame Prescott for the LA playoff loss. Believe me, people have been light on Dak compared to Romo. How about 2017 vs the Seahawks. No one called that a win or go home game vs the Seahawks. How did Dak perform in that one? 2 picks and a 52 passer rating....

I like Dak, he's a good QB, but I still believe that Romo should have been the starter when he was healthy. We would have went farther...oh well...
What if's don't prove anything.

12+88=7

Reaction score
4th quarter comeback all between the months of September and November is hardly something to be proud of.

From 2013, but still relevant as it covers most of Romos career.

"Romo has won 65 percent of his career starts that are played prior to the month of December. So what happens to him when the game and season are on the line and the other team is the one making a push?"

"Some of Romo’s negatives are well-documented. He has a record of 12-18 in games played during December and January. He is 0-3 in regular season finale games in which a win would put the Cowboys into the playoffs and a loss would send them home until the following season. On top of all that, he is 1-3 during the playoffs. That is one playoff victory in eight seasons while leading a franchise that previously had become synonymous with post-season success."

http://www.numericsports.com/2013/12/17/its-time-to-stop-apologizing-for-tony-romo/

These are the facts.

Romo was 17-18 in December for his career.
Romo won two playoff games not one. Dallas beat Philadelphia and Detroit.
Romo has 8 TDs and 2 INTs and a 93.0 passer rating for his career in the playoffs.

In late game situations for career where you say he chokes.
Leading with less than 2 minutes
1TD/0INTS 152.1 passer rating (almost perfect)

Leading with less than 4 minutes
4TDs/1INT 117.9 passer rating.

Trailing less than 2 minutes
12TDs/3INTS 100.9 passer rating.

Trailing less than 4 minutes
17TDs/7INTS 95.7 passer rating.

Romo is basically getting beat up for throwing 8 INTs in the last 4 minutes of games for his career.

zack

Reaction score
What if's don't prove anything.

I get it, it was more of an opinion. Just wished it happened. He was a far better passer and would have been interesting to see him have Zeke for a weapon.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I get it, it was more of an opinion. Just wished it happened. He was a far better passer and would have been interesting to see him have Zeke for a weapon.
I loved Romo, but it became heartbreaking over and over when he couldn't close or got injured. I've moved on.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Here are notes I took while looking at what happened from 2006 - 2015 (games Romo played). Not going to clean them up but feel free to take a look. Based upon @erod claiming the defense would virtually always give up the lead when the offense would score to tie or take the lead with 3-4 minutes remaining, I went back to see how many times the defense failed after we scored in the 4th to tie or take the lead. I extended the time to get a better picture of what occurred. Not trying to be biased. Just wanted to see what really happened. Sometimes the defense just flat out failed by themselves. Sometimes the defense failed but also had hep from the offense and/or special teams. Sometimes they just came through.

Defense gave up lead after offense ties or takes lead in 4th
Detroit 2006 - offense took 1 point lead with 8:09 left, defense gives up touchdown and Detroit takes 5 point lead with 3:45 left. Romo fumbles and Detroit takes 8 point lead with 3:02 left. Offense then has turnover on downs and we lost.

New York 2006 - offense took 7 point lead with 3:33 left. NY tied game. Offense kicked FG with :06 left to win game

New York 2009 - offense took 1 point lead with 3:40 left in game, Defense allows Giants to kick FG to win game.

Kansas City 2009 - Dallas takes 7 point lead with 2:16 left in 4th quarter. KC ties game. Dallas wins with TD pass in OT.

Tennessee 2010 - Dallas tied game with 4:30 remaining. Defense gives up TD with 3:28 remaining after Tennessee starts drive at 5 yard line due to penalties and long kick off return. Offense turns ball over on downs

Minnesota 2010 - Dallas ties game with 10:18 left in 4th quarter. Minnesota kicks FG with 4:03 remaining after a Dallas turnover in FG range (interception)

New England 2011 - Dallas takes 3 point lead with 5:16 remaining. Defense forces 3 & out. Offense goes 3&out. NE scores game winning touchdown at end of game.

Commanders 2011 - Dallas takes takes 7 point lead with 8:48 remaining. Defense forces turnover. Offense punts. Commanders score TD at end of game. Cowboys win game in OT.

Dolphins 2011 - Dallas takes 1 point lead with 14:31. Defense gives up FG with 7:18 left in game. Offense punts. Defense forces punt. Dallas kicks game winning field goal at end of game.

Giants 2011 - Dallas takes 12 point lead with 5:41 remaining. Defense gives up 2 TD and Giants win the game. (this is the Miles Austin ball got lost in lights game)

Cleveland 2012 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 6:46 remaining. Defense forces fumble. Offense turns the ball back over (Romo fumble). Defense forced turnover on downs. Offense goes 3 & out. Browns score a TD with 1:07 remaining. Dallas kicks game tying FG at end of regulation and wins with FG in overtime.

New Orleans 2012 - Dallas scores touchdown at end of regulation to send game to OT. Dallas gets ball first and punts. Defense allows game winning FG.

Denver 2013 - Dallas takes 7 point lead with 7:19 remaining. Defense allows touchdown with 2:39 remaining. Offense turns ball over (interception). Defense allows game winning field goal.

Detroit 2013 - Dallas kicks FG to extend to 6 point lead with 1:07 remaining. Defense gives up TD to lose game. (this is the Tyron Smith penalty game which stopped clock when we were trying to run the clock down)

Houston 2014 - Dallas scores TD to extend to a 10 point game. Defense gives up long FG drive to cut lead to 7. Offense goes 3 & out. Defense gives up TD to tie game. Dallas misses FG to force OT. Defense forces punt on 1st possession of OT. Dallas wins with FG on their first possession.

Washington 2014 - Dallas ties game with 9:27 left in game (Weeden playing) Defense forces punt, Romo reenters game and Cowboys punt. Washington kicks FG opening possession of OT and Dallas has turnover on downs.

Defense preserved lead
Philly 2008 - Offense takes 4 point lead with 4:35 left. Defense forced turnover on downs.

Commanders 2008 - Offense takes 4 point lead with 10:36 left. Defense forced turnover on downs, offense runs out clock

Philly 2009 - Dallas takes 7 point lead with 8:04 left in game. Dallas allows FG, Dallas runs out clock for win

Commanders 2009 - Dallas takes 1 point lead with 2:41 left. Defense intercepts ball.

Carolina 2012 - Dallas takes 2 point lead with 3:28 remaining. Defense forces turnover on downs.

Philly 2012 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 5:40 remaining in game. Defense scores TD to extend to 11 point lead with 4:03 remaining. Defense then gives up last minute TD and Cowboys win.

Pittsburgh 2012 - Dallas ties game with 6:55 remaining. Defense forces 2 punts and intercepts the ball in OT to set up game winning FG.

Washington 2013 - Dallas takes 1 point lead with 1:08 remaining. Defense forces turnover on downs.

Rams 2014 - Dallas takes 3 point lead with 6:13 remaining. Defense gets a pick six to extend to 10 point game. Defense gives up TD, offense punts. Defense gets interception to seal game.

Seattle 2014 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 3:16 remaining in game. Defense forces turnover on downs. Dallas offense kicks FG to extend to 7 point lead with 1:09 remaining. Defense gets interception to seal the game.

Detroit 2014 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 2:32 remaining. Defense forces turnover to seal game.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Here are notes I took while looking at what happened from 2006 - 2015 (games Romo played). Not going to clean them up but feel free to take a look. Based upon @erod claiming the defense would virtually always give up the lead when the offense would score to tie or take the lead with 3-4 minutes remaining, I went back to see how many times the defense failed after we scored in the 4th to tie or take the lead. I extended the time to get a better picture of what occurred. Not trying to be biased. Just wanted to see what really happened. Sometimes the defense just flat out failed by themselves. Sometimes the defense failed but also had hep from the offense and/or special teams. Sometimes they just came through.

Detroit 2006 - offense took 1 point lead with 8:09 left, defense gives up touchdown and Detroit takes 5 point lead with 3:45 left. Romo fumbles and Detroit takes 8 point lead with 3:02 left. Offense then has turnover on downs and we lost.

New York 2006 - offense took 7 point lead with 3:33 left. NY tied game. Offense kicked FG with :06 left to win game

New York 2009 - offense took 1 point lead with 3:40 left in game, Defense allows Giants to kick FG to win game.

Kansas City 2009 - Dallas takes 7 point lead with 2:16 left in 4th quarter. KC ties game. Dallas wins with TD pass in OT.

Tennessee 2010 - Dallas tied game with 4:30 remaining. Defense gives up TD with 3:28 remaining after Tennessee starts drive at 5 yard line due to penalties and long kick off return. Offense turns ball over on downs

Minnesota 2010 - Dallas ties game with 10:18 left in 4th quarter. Minnesota kicks FG with 4:03 remaining after a Dallas turnover in FG range (interception)

New England 2011 - Dallas takes 3 point lead with 5:16 remaining. Defense forces 3 & out. Offense goes 3&out. NE scores game winning touchdown at end of game.

Commanders 2011 - Dallas takes takes 7 point lead with 8:48 remaining. Defense forces turnover. Offense punts. Commanders score TD at end of game. Cowboys win game in OT.

Dolphins 2011 - Dallas takes 1 point lead with 14:31. Defense gives up FG with 7:18 left in game. Offense punts. Defense forces punt. Dallas kicks game winning field goal at end of game.

Giants 2011 - Dallas takes 12 point lead with 5:41 remaining. Defense gives up 2 TD and Giants win the game. (this is the Miles Austin ball got lost in lights game)

Cleveland 2012 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 6:46 remaining. Defense forces fumble. Offense turns the ball back over (Romo fumble). Defense forced turnover on downs. Offense goes 3 & out. Browns score a TD with 1:07 remaining. Dallas kicks game tying FG at end of regulation and wins with FG in overtime.

New Orleans 2012 - Dallas scores touchdown at end of regulation to send game to OT. Dallas gets ball first and punts. Defense allows game winning FG.

Denver 2013 - Dallas takes 7 point lead with 7:19 remaining. Defense allows touchdown with 2:39 remaining. Offense turns ball over (interception). Defense allows game winning field goal.

Detroit 2013 - Dallas kicks FG to extend to 6 point lead with 1:07 remaining. Defense gives up TD to lose game. (this is the Tyron Smith penalty game which stopped clock when we were trying to run the clock down)

Houston 2014 - Dallas scores TD to extend to a 10 point game. Defense gives up long FG drive to cut lead to 7. Offense goes 3 & out. Defense gives up TD to tie game. Dallas misses FG to force OT. Defense forces punt on 1st possession of OT. Dallas wins with FG on their first possession.

Washington 2014 - Dallas ties game with 9:27 left in game (Weeden playing) Defense forces punt, Romo reenters game and Cowboys punt. Washington kicks FG opening possession of OT and Dallas has turnover on downs.

Defense preserved lead
Philly 2008 - Offense takes 4 point lead with 4:35 left. Defense forced turnover on downs.

Commanders 2008 - Offense takes 4 point lead with 10:36 left. Defense forced turnover on downs, offense runs out clock

Philly 2009 - Dallas takes 7 point lead with 8:04 left in game. Dallas allows FG, Dallas runs out clock for win

Commanders 2009 - Dallas takes 1 point lead with 2:41 left. Defense intercepts ball.

Carolina 2012 - Dallas takes 2 point lead with 3:28 remaining. Defense forces turnover on downs.

Philly 2012 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 5:40 remaining in game. Defense scores TD to extend to 11 point lead with 4:03 remaining. Defense then gives up last minute TD and Cowboys win.

Pittsburgh 2012 - Dallas ties game with 6:55 remaining. Defense forces 2 punts and intercepts the ball in OT to set up game winning FG.

Washington 2013 - Dallas takes 1 point lead with 1:08 remaining. Defense forces turnover on downs.

Rams 2014 - Dallas takes 3 point lead with 6:13 remaining. Defense gets a pick six to extend to 10 point game. Defense gives up TD, offense punts. Defense gets interception to seal game.

Seattle 2014 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 3:16 remaining in game. Defense forces turnover on downs. Dallas offense kicks FG to extend to 7 point lead with 1:09 remaining. Defense gets interception to seal the game.

Detroit 2014 - Dallas takes 4 point lead with 2:32 remaining. Defense forces turnover to seal game.

That's some heavy lifting, good job.

erod

Reaction score

Defense preserved lead

Lol, just open your eyes.

We watched magic just like this for years

cern

Reaction score

that's not what I saw. I saw him turn away due to taking a shot from a defender. not that it wasn't a great play. but self preservation instincts took over at the end.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Yeah, I went back and watched that entire game earlier in the week. You should try it and not just look at the highlight that gives you a warm and fuzzy. You'd see all the mistakes like delay of game penalty, the horrible interception, inaccurate throws to include one that was thrown into the ground 5 yards short of a receiver only about 10 yards away and another when he threw high to an open Dez Bryant in the end zone forcing us to settle for a FG. You'd see where he could have ran with a ton of open space but threw an incomplete pass instead. You'd hear commentary about how the Commanders defense was allowing 31 points per game and a ton of commentary about why the Cowboys keep abandoning the running game. They did the same here as they gave up the lead to begin with in the 2nd half and finally started running the ball on the 2nd to last drive which helped them come back and give the defense rest. Ironically, the running game did crap the bed at the very end of the game and Romo bailed the team out, but there was no reason we needed to be that close to the 3-11 Commanders. It was a horrible game. A game you would rake Dak over the coals for. You criticize Dak for blowing crappy teams out.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
that's not what I saw. I saw him turn away due to taking a shot from a defender. not that it wasn't a great play. but self preservation instincts took over at the end.
Is “the glitch” affecting your vision (or is that cataracts)? Watch the second viewing angle, Boomer.

Although I suspect this is overstated... my guess would be that before he could turn he heard the crowd reaction so he just kept jogging.

cern

Reaction score
Is “the glitch” affecting your vision (or is that cataracts)? Watch the second viewing angle, Boomer.

Although I suspect this is overstated... my guess would be that before he could turn he heard the crowd reaction so he just kept jogging.
I have always been a decisive decision maker. in the submarine force. in task force 157. the glitch is the purview of over thinkers. those who just can't make an immediate decision. do not be forlorn that you don't understand the glitch. from your posts it is obvious you have never been in a position of having had to make rapid decisions.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I have always been a decisive decision maker. in the submarine force. in task force 157. the glitch is the purview of over thinkers. those who just can't make an immediate decision. do not be forlorn that you don't understand the glitch. from your posts it is obvious you have never been in a position of having had to make rapid decisions.
I made a rapid decision that this post is gibberish... have a nice day, Boomer.

cern

Reaction score
I made a rapid decision that this post is gibberish... have a nice day, Boomer.
if you start thinking about it now, by the time you get to macdonald's for lunch you might have decided on fries or onion rings to go with that burger. maybe even sweet or unsweetened tea. good luck with those choices. bon apetit.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you probably view the three 8-8 seasons you will find a lot of data to support that the defense was not very good. I just looked at 2011 season and there was 5 games that the defense basically gave up the game winning scores, Lions, Pats, Cardinals and the Giants twice. This is where the non-sense started from fans that didn't like Romo. Then there was the fans that made up the "win or go home stat" and placed it all on the QB. He was constantly put in these situations to pull the game out at the end. Conversely, looking at his statistical numbers vs the QB's that won SB's, you will find that almost every one of them had a top 10 defense at some point and time. Roethlisberger is the only quarterback to win the Super Bowl with his 22.6 passer rating, which is the lowest in Super Bowl history by a winning quarterback. He threw two interceptions in the red zone. But he's always been surrounded by strong defenses.

Then there is the argument about the Giants defense and stating that they weren't statistically good during the season. Yes, partially true, but in both their SB runs, the Giants held opponents to 16 points or less, but Eli is named the hero in all of this. :)
2013 defense was the lowest-ranked in Cowboys history.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Yeah, I went back and watched that entire game earlier in the week. You should try it and not just look at the highlight that gives you a warm and fuzzy. You'd see all the mistakes like delay of game penalty, the horrible interception, inaccurate throws to include one that was thrown into the ground 5 yards short of a receiver only about 10 yards away and another when he threw high to an open Dez Bryant in the end zone forcing us to settle for a FG. You'd see where he could have ran with a ton of open space but threw an incomplete pass instead. You'd hear commentary about how the Commanders defense was allowing 31 points per game and a ton of commentary about why the Cowboys keep abandoning the running game. They did the same here as they gave up the lead to begin with in the 2nd half and finally started running the ball on the 2nd to last drive which helped them come back and give the defense rest. Ironically, the running game did crap the bed at the very end of the game and Romo bailed the team out, but there was no reason we needed to be that close to the 3-11 Commanders. It was a horrible game. A game you would rake Dak over the coals for. You criticize Dak for blowing crappy teams out.

That game saved the Dallas season. Dallas played an elimination game the next week against Philadelphia with Orton starting.

I doubt anyone would criticize Prescott for converting a 4th down play to keep the season alive.