Video: Every Romo TD

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When you look at both players from a strictly QB position ability, it's no contest. Romo was far more talented of a QB than Dak is or will prob ever be. Romo had better awareness in the pocket, better accuracy, better timing better understanding of the D and coverage. The only advantage Dak has over Romo is health. And we will see how that is going when he is 30. Romo at 26 was pretty athletic and durable as well but a lot more reckless. Romo got better every year and you could see it. 2014 was just a masterful season of QB play. We should have gone to the SB that year but fate didn't allow it with a fumble and a bad call both going against the boys. Dak shows glimpses of getting better and then it goes away. He is just not consistent in his play. His performance against better teams has been declining since his rookie year, that needs to reverse it self and quick. Dak does have some good traits, he is a good leader (everyone says that, I have to assume they are honest), he plays hard, he works hard, he is a really good athlete. They each bring something to the table that the other didn't/doesn't. I agree that Dak is the future of the QB in Dallas, so I hope he turns into everything some of you think he already is. I just haven't seen it on a consistent enough basis to say he is there.
Your magic 8-Ball tell you that?
You're really comparing 4 seasons to 14?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think that you will find it happened a lot through his career. I am actually shocked that people are actually here defending the defense which was completely horrible for a majority of his career. To me it seemed like every year, games would come down to the wire and our defense was always there to give up a late score, leave very little time on the clock for the offense to even have a chance to win the game.
Not accurate, the defenses were not nearly as bad as some suggest.
It's interesting that some fans blame Prescott for the LA playoff loss and not the awful defense that allowed 275 rushing yards. Or our hero RB that ran 47. Why does the current QB not get the same excuses that the legend of Romo?

Cmac

Reaction score
What a stud, wish we had surrounded him with more pieces and a real coach.
Real coach ok.....but he had players around him. Despite the good, he often created some of the misfit plays. Ala, Brett Favre who is distinguished by long term play (despite injuries) and his one SB, yet his untimely interceptions generally get swept under the rug.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think that you will find it happened a lot through his career. I am actually shocked that people are actually here defending the defense which was completely horrible for a majority of his career. To me it seemed like every year, games would come down to the wire and our defense was always there to give up a late score, leave very little time on the clock for the offense to even have a chance to win the game.
This is certainly the perception and I know it did happen sometimes. I just don't think it happened quite as often as people think it happened and it's over-exaggerated to the point it's difficult to have a rational conversation because they don't think the defense did anything other than suck. I don't dispute the defense wasn't great and sometimes they were flat out awful but they weren't always complete trash.

I remember another perception people had that they could not drop during Romo's career which resurfaced again this year. And that is claims the offense went 3 and out all the time and left the defense out to dry, forcing them to get gassed. Well, that perception was complete BS too. We have actually been very good at not going 3 & out and having one of the best time of possessions per drive. People just remembered the 3 & outs much better. I suspect something similar will happen here because I'm also going to look to see how many stops the defense made in that time frame too. Of the top of my head, I remember 2015 being bad for the defense getting late stops though, but that impacted Weeden and Cassel rather than Romo. But, we'll see. I may have some time over the next 3 days to look at it more closely.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You bring up Brady in Romo hype thread as if they are remotely similar? Romo is a joke compared to Brady. Romo is a joke, period. Thank god we finally have a QB in Dak that can take us to the Super Bowl. lol
Didnt say Romo and Brady were in the same league. Just used Brady to illustrate the very simple and obvious point that even the very best have made game ending turnovers at some point in their career...as Brady did it a whopping 4 times in one single season.

Fwiw, Im in Daks corner and hope we win one with him someday.

No need to waste my time with hate-filled, bitter, and angry people like you.
Adios.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Didnt say Romo and Brady were in the same league. Just used Brady to illustrate the very simple and obvious point that even the very best have made game ending turnovers at some point in their career...as Brady did it a whopping 4 times in one single season.

Fwiw, Im in Daks corner and hope we win one with him someday.

No need to waste my time with hate-filled, bitter, and angry people like you.
Adios.
You used Brady to illustrate a point that nobody is refuting. That's a strawman argument. No one was saying there are infallible QBs out there. But congratulations, you kicked that argument's butt.

It's too late, you already wasted time with hate-filled me, making your strawman argument.

Blake

Reaction score
Just to bring some balance back to this thread...

Romo was literally a below average QB when the stakes were high, but his stans like to tout his meaningless "James Harden-esque" regular season stats. I could make a list of numerous other underachieving QBs that were better than Romo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not accurate, the defenses were not nearly as bad as some suggest.
It's interesting that some fans blame Prescott for the LA playoff loss and not the awful defense that allowed 275 rushing yards. Or our hero RB that ran 47. Why does the current QB not get the same excuses that the legend of Romo?
That LA loss was most certainly on our putrid Run D more than anything else.

Blake

Reaction score
I bet Romo haters couldn't bring themselves to watch this vid. Blake ..."ooh...bet it hurts!!!". didnt; watch it.

You can't be 17th best 4th qtr comebacks ever in the history of NFL and 4-5 games short of top 10....and be labeled total choker. These same people argue Dak is a top 5 QB.

I mean come on......not saying Dak ISN'T....but people just aren't using fair logic here.

4th quarter comeback all between the months of September and November is hardly something to be proud of.

From 2013, but still relevant as it covers most of Romos career.

"Romo has won 65 percent of his career starts that are played prior to the month of December. So what happens to him when the game and season are on the line and the other team is the one making a push?"

"Some of Romo’s negatives are well-documented. He has a record of 12-18 in games played during December and January. He is 0-3 in regular season finale games in which a win would put the Cowboys into the playoffs and a loss would send them home until the following season. On top of all that, he is 1-3 during the playoffs. That is one playoff victory in eight seasons while leading a franchise that previously had become synonymous with post-season success."

http://www.numericsports.com/2013/12/17/its-time-to-stop-apologizing-for-tony-romo/

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
4th quarter comeback all between the months of September and November is hardly something to be proud of.

"Romo has won 65 percent of his career starts that are played prior to the month of December. So what happens to him when the game and season are on the line and the other team is the one making a push?"

"Some of Romo’s negatives are well-documented. He has a record of 12-18 in games played during December and January. He is 0-3 in regular season finale games in which a win would put the Cowboys into the playoffs and a loss would send them home until the following season. On top of all that, he is 1-3 during the playoffs. That is one playoff victory in eight seasons while leading a franchise that previously had become synonymous with post-season success."

http://www.numericsports.com/2013/12/17/its-time-to-stop-apologizing-for-tony-romo/
To be fair, he did have one in the post season against the Lions. He had 5 opportunities for a comeback victories to extend our season and he was successful against the Lions.

On another note, it is said the defense always gave up a score after he tied or took the lead late in the game. In the Lions game the defense got a turnover to secure the victory.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So...suddenly...team records are the fault of QB's?

When it's Dak it's a team record.

When it's Romo it's Romo's record.

I see.

cern

Reaction score
I think tony was the GOAT between the 20 yard lines. but alas and alack, the game is also played from the 20 yard line to the end zone. way too many field goals should have been td's.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair, he did have one in the post season against the Lions. He had 5 opportunities for a comeback victories to extend our season and he was successful against the Lions.

On another note, it is said the defense always gave up a score after he tied or took the lead late in the game. In the Lions game the defense got a turnover to secure the victory.

I don;t think ANYONE ever said defense "ALWAYS".

I think this is one problem with using a forum to communicate. People seems to naturally want to exaggerate or use hyperbole so their point becomes more relevant and easier to argue. Not a personal knock on you Aviano. ALL of us do it. .

I say those late losses are team losses. Sometimes D just coudn't make a final stop and sometimes Romo looked silly poo-ing the bed.

Blake

Reaction score
So...suddenly...team records are the fault of QB's?

When it's Dak it's a team record.

When it's Romo it's Romo's record.

I see.

This is the most telling fact. The tape don't lie, Romo was directly responsible for costing his team a playoff spot. Dude couldn't even complete a simple pass to the HB in crunch time? You think Rodgers, Brady, or Brees struggle to convert? As "genius" as Romo was he was also very predictable. Defenses toyed with him because of his ego.

" He is 0-3 in regular season finale games in which a win would put the Cowboys into the playoffs and a loss would send them home until the following season."

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I think tony was the GOAT between the 20 yard lines. but alas and alack, the game is also played from the 20 yard line to the end zone. way too many field goals should have been td's.
Do you ever get tired of showing how little you know about football? Do you have even the slightest bit of evidence that this is true? Because we can actually use the Internet to find out how many touchdowns vs field goals the Cowboys scored in every single one of his games. We don't need to rely on your demented, hazy Boomer memory.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

hes the cowboys TD record holder along with the same TD ratio as many top qb's.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the most telling fact. The tape don't lie, Romo was directly responsible for costing his team a playoff spot. Dude couldn't even complete a simple pass to the HB in crunch time? You think Rodgers, Brady, or Brees struggle to convert? As "genius" as Romo was he was also very predictable. Defenses toyed with him because of his ego.

" He is 0-3 in regular season finale games in which a win would put the Cowboys into the playoffs and a loss would send them home until the following season."

When I posted a one game stat you ripped me to shreds. You say Dak's losses are team stats and Romo's loses are Romo's. You then found ONE game.

You could be easily the most hypocritical member on this forum....IMPRESSIVE!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I don;t think ANYONE ever said defense "ALWAYS".

I think this is one problem with using a forum to communicate. People seems to naturally want to exaggerate or use hyperbole so their point becomes more relevant and easier to argue. Not a personal knock on you Aviano. ALL of us do it. .

I say those late losses are team losses. Sometimes D just coudn't make a final stop and sometimes Romo looked silly poo-ing the bed.

Technically you are correct. The exact wording was "virtually always". It's this very exaggeration that I'm going to go do the research to find out exactly how many times "virtually always" is.

The defense virtually always gave up the late drive to lose the game regardless of the score. That was the problem. Invariably, he'd have to go back out there with 28 seconds left to try and match what the wet-paper-back defense just gave up. Then, God forbid he missed a throw late, and he'd get the blame.

He suffered the three worst Cowboys defenses in team history. In fact, one of those teams was statistically the worst in NFL HISTORY. It was grotesquely bad, giving up over 500 yards a game if I recall correctly.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People want to use pure QB stats to prove Dak is a great QB? Okay....you have to live with this, and I know it hurts Bake pretty hard. Ya'll watch him squirm.

His 248 passing touchdowns are the ninth-most in NFL history among quarterbacks who played their entire career with one team.

Romo ranks third in quarterback wins in Cowboys history with 78, trailing Troy Aikman (94) and Roger Staubach (85).

Romo has a career passer rating of 97.1, which is the fourth-best in NFL history (minimum 1,000 pass attempts), trailing only Aaron Rodgers (104.1), Russell Wilson (99.6) and Tom Brady (97.2).

Romo was signed an undrafted free agent. He ranks fourth in passing yards, third in touchdown passes and fourth in starts among undrafted players since 1970, according to Elias Sports Bureau research.

In Romo's first nine seasons since becoming Cowboys starting quarterback during the 2006 season, he started 123 of a possible 138 games. Over the past two seasons, Romo only started four of a possible 32 games.
(this stat proves he was mostly durable through his career and most issues only on the last two years. Including when they held him out for Dak?)

In the 2014 season, the last one in which he played the majority of his team's games, Romo was among the league's most efficient passers. He led the NFL in Total QBR at 81.6, his career best (not including his six snaps in 2016), and completion percentage (69.9 percent), best in a season in Cowboys history. He also led the NFL in passer rating (113.2) and yards per attempt (8.52) and was second in touchdown-to-interception ratio (3.8) among qualified quarterbacks that season.

From 2006-14, Romo led 27 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter and overtime. That is the most in the NFL over that span, one more than Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan.

From 2006-15, Romo completed 65 percent of his passes and averaged 8.4 yards per attempt in the fourth quarter, which is the best of any of the 36 passers with 500 action plays in the fourth quarter in that span. His yards-per-attempt average in the final quarter of games was over a third of a yard better than anyone else in the NFL during that span (Cam Newton, 8.03).

Seventy-five of Romo's 248 career touchdown passes came in the fourth quarter. That's three more fourth-quarter touchdown passes than Staubach and Aikman had combined.

So keep on hating!

https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/130843/where-tony-romo-stacks-up-all-time

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Technically you are correct. The exact wording was "virtually always". It's this very exaggeration that I'm going to go do the research to find out exactly how many times "virtually always" is.

Okay...even so.....I wouldn't use just ONE comment to characterize the situation.

In the spirit of fairness...I will also amend my comment. "Hardly anyone says it was "ALWAYS the defense". :)